Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the JBL 2395 slant plate lens ?

Thoughts on the JBL 2395 slant plate lens ?

I've been a long time sucker for horns. Sucker, meaning my fascination of different designs and design philosophies, leads me to want to try them all in DIY projects. While many have been successful endeavours, some have turned out to be a swing and a miss.

A couple of days ago I decided to pick up a pair of JBL 2395's that were available locally. These as you know, are probably too big for their own good but the "sucker" in me won out and I grabbed them

I was wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences with them used in a home audio application. What worked well, what didn't etc.

Also, tips or suggestions from any members have taken the time to dissassemble them for refinishing. I haven't had the time yet to determine how the plates and spacers work together so I'm reluctant to just start off unbolting things.

Thanks
    RC
    Ignorant Member

Some info!

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/a...ns_family1.pdf
    I have the 2391 and the sound very good. But the 2395 is whole different class, yes they are BIG! Post some photos when you have a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/a...ns_family1.pdf
    I have the 2391 and the sound very good. But the 2395 is whole different class, yes they are BIG! Post some photos when you have a chance!
    Not surprising since it exhibits much less beamwidth tapering.

Well, here are some pics of one of them anyway.

Please forgive the frilly, non-audio guy table lamp cover. I needed some place large enough to set one of these on for pics and my wifes sewing table was available. This table has been deemed off limits for audio gear but she's upstairs at the moment so... no see, no foul

They need a little tune up but are in pretty nice condition overall.

RC
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Ignorant Member

What drivers will you bolt on to these?
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

Do you have the front mounting legs, and the H brackets?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by SMKSoundPro View Post
    What drivers will you bolt on to these?
    I have 2441's but am currently using them in my main system and I don't see that changing. That leaves me with my EV DH1A's. They are only other pair of 2" compression drivers I have at the moment.

RC
    Ignorant Member

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    Do you have the front mounting legs, and the H brackets?

I have been speaking with LG about a pair of H brackets he has available but I'm not familiar with what the front mounting legs are.

Are these needed and what did they do exactly? I can see where the brackets would come in handy but if this is to be free standing, do the legs do something other than elevate?

RC
    Ignorant Member

They are supposed to have mounting legs on the front at the bottom of the 1st slant plate. You will see screw holes on the bottom of the rectangular frame the slant plates attach to and they legs hold the lens up OFF the cabinet they are on, and facilitate secure mounting as well.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    They are supposed to have mounting legs on the front at the bottom of the 1st slant plate. You will see screw holes on the bottom of the rectangular frame the slant plates attach to and they legs hold the lens up OFF the cabinet they are on, and facilitate secure mounting as well.

Thanks Scott.

Hmm, I'm not seeing any screw holes, assuming that I am looking in the right place at least. I'll have to give them a better look later.

I guess a guy could fabricate something to accomplish the same. Thats something that happens around here quite a bit

RC
    Ignorant Member

Anything on this page look like what we are talking about here?

RC
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ignorant Member

The JBL literature states " The JBL 2395 is a slant-plate acoustic lens for use above 800Hz". Does that mean that that this horn and lens will do well down to 800 or should it really be crossed over much higher?

I realize that I would not get ideal HF used in a two -way regardless of x-over point with the EV DH1A but am wondering if crossing over around 1200 would make more sense. I'm not sure where people have has good results for use in a home audio application.

Please keep in mind that I'm just horsing around with these at this point. I just want to get a feel for what this horn/lens sounds like but still want to give it a fair shake at the same time.

RC
    Ignorant Member

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"
    Quote Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
    The JBL literature states " The JBL 2395 is a slant-plate acoustic lens for use above 800Hz". Does that mean that that this horn and lens will do well down to 800 or should it really be crossed over much higher?

I realize that I would not get ideal HF used in a two -way regardless of x-over point with the EV DH1A but am wondering if crossing over around 1200 would make more sense. I'm not sure where people have has good results for use in a home audio application.

Please keep in mind that I'm just horsing around with these at this point. I just want to get a feel for what this horn/lens sounds like but still want to give it a fair shake at the same time.

RC
    Historically; in the nightclubs at least....
    (and in my basement too)
    it was/is common to cross them somewhere near 800Hz with 18db slopes;

i also had more than satisfactory results crossing them at 1200Hz with 12db slopes

We always used 800hz as the xover point, and later on in the 80,s we changed to 750hz at the suggestion of Lew Feldman, a sound designer, using the Richard Long gear, set up and concepts. We use the JBL 2441J on our lenses and I have tried other drivers, and also own some other drivers. Crossover frequency is NOT carved in stone, though, I find 750hz 18db or 12db butterworth sounds great with the 2441, but a slightly higher 800hz frequency sounds better with my TAD 4002 drivers. So, I think it depends on what driver you use, and what, through experimenting, sounds best to you. I also roll them off where the tweeter comes in, and it is said the lens is not good above 10k anyway.

What will the rest of your system be comprised of that the 2395 will be part of?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by louped garouv View Post
    Historically; in the nightclubs at least....
    (and in my basement too)
    it was/is common to cross them somewhere near 800Hz with 18db slopes;

i also had more than satisfactory results crossing them at 1200Hz with 12db slopes

Hey LG, I have a pair of Altec N801-8A networks kicking around here somewhere to play around with but those are 2nd order top and bottom. Maybe I'll have to build something.

RC
    Ignorant Member

Thread Information