Thread: 4343 polarity & wiring

4343 polarity & wiring

Hi,

The positive terminal of 4343 terminal inputs on the back is black, right?
    When I did the battery check on the terminal inputs on the rear, with the speaker wire hooked into black input to +, and the wire hooked into red input to - of A4 battery,
    I saw the woofer cone moving out. I did this a couple of times, and the same results.
    My Marantz amp has its red terminal marked " + ", and the black " - ". So, this is my question: do I need to connect the speaker wire from the black terminal input (+) to the red terminal (+) of the amp, instead of its black terminal (-)? Actually I've been listening to 4343 by simply hooking the speaker wires up to terminal inputs of 4343 according to their matching colors, namely black (+) from terminal input of 4343 rear to black (-) of power amp, red(-) of 4343 rear to red (+) of power amp. The sound was okay to me, though. Do you think I have to change the current wiring? Thanks for your counsel in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Hi,

When I did the battery check on the terminal inputs on the rear, with the speaker wire hooked into black input to +, and the wire hooked into red input to - of A4 battery,
    I saw the woofer cone moving out. I did this a couple of times, and the same results.
    My Marantz amp has its red terminal marked " + ", and the black " - ". So, this is my question: do I need to connect the speaker wire from the black terminal input (+) to the red terminal (+) of the amp, instead of its black terminal (-)? Actually I've been listening to 4343 by simply hooking the speaker wires up to terminal inputs of 4343 according to their matching colors, namely black (+) from terminal input of 4343 rear to black (-) of power amp, red(-) of 4343 rear to red (+) of power amp. The sound was okay to me, though. Do you think I have to change the current wiring? Thanks for your counsel in advance.

First - do you have any other speakers connected in the room at the same time (like surrounds or subs ...)?

If you are not doing any kind of biamping, and if the 4343s are the only speakers connected to your Marantz amp,
    connect amp red to speaker red (+) and amp black to speaker black (-).

Inverting it on both speakers at the same time should effectively not sound any different.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Yes, that is true for this vintage of JBL.

When I did the battery check on the terminal inputs on the rear, with the speaker wire hooked into black input to +, and the wire hooked into red input to - of A4 battery, I saw the woofer cone moving out.
    That is the right test and your observation is correct. This means that no-one prior to you has mucked around inside that cabinet!

Actually I've been listening to 4343 by simply hooking the speaker wires up to terminal inputs of 4343 according to their matching colors, namely black (+) from terminal input of 4343 rear to black (-) of power amp, red(-) of 4343 rear to red (+) of power amp. The sound was okay to me....
    That is the way that JBL (posthumously) recommended they be connected, as indicated in their Tech Bulletin 12C. JBL had the polarity right long-ago back-in-the-day, but some upstarts changed the convention and so JBL's vintage transducers (and cabinets) ended-up "inverted" with respect to current standards.

I have listened to my 4345's both ways, and don't notice that great a difference. So long as you are consistent with both cabinets you are fine.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Fine with either way?

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

That is the right test and your observation is correct. This means that no-one prior to you has mucked around inside that cabinet!

That is the way that JBL (posthumously) recommended they be connected, as indicated in their Tech Bulletin 12C. JBL had the polarity right long-ago back-in-the-day, but some upstarts changed the convention and so JBL's vintage transducers (and cabinets) ended-up "inverted" with respect to current standards.

I have listened to my 4345's both ways, and don't notice that great a difference. So long as you are consistent with both cabinets you are fine.
    Thanks a lot for your kind reply, boputnam. In other words, either way is fine?
    Just like you, I don't feel any noticeable difference in sound reproduction.
    The only concern I have is the current set-up (speaker black (+) to amp black (-),
    speaker red (-) to amp red (+) might do any possible damage to the woofers and drivers.
    Am I worried too much here?

no big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    First - do you have any other speakers connected in the room at the same time (like surrounds or subs ...)?

If you are not doing any kind of biamping, and if the 4343s are the only speakers connected to your Marantz amp,
    connect amp red to speaker red (+) and amp black to speaker black (-).

Inverting it on both speakers at the same time should effectively not sound any different.
    Thanks for your kind comments. The current connection set-up is amp red (+) to speaker red (-), amp black (-) to speaker black (+). As I explained, the battery check shows that the woofer cone moves out when I connect speaker black (+) to battery +, with speaker red to battery -. So, I've changed the connection as follows: speaker black (+) to amp red (+), speaker red (-) to amp black (-). Like you said, I don't see that much difference between this new set-up and my previous set-up.

on my 250 TIs I have (that you will hear someday ) one set is the older convention and one set the newer. If I am to mix them at some point I must make sure the old are hooked up you r current way and the new the opposite.

I think i noticed the went real high tech on the differences and just switched the red and black connector so red is on the left on one set and on the other set red is on the right!!

Mark
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    on my 250 TIs I have (that you will hear someday ) one set is the older convention and one set the newer. If I am to mix them at some point I must make sure the old are hooked up you r current way and the new the opposite.

I think i noticed the went real high tech on the differences and just switched the red and black connector so red is on the left on one set and on the other set red is on the right!!

Mark
    Thanks, Mark. Let me check out your great gear in mid-Aug.

Now I understand

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post

Now I understand about the inverted polarity of this particular 4343 LF. I did a recheck on the battery test. Battery (+) to speaker red, battery (-) to speaker black shows the cone moves in, NOT OUT. Reversely, the cone moves out. This is up to the JBL specs, according to the Tech Bulletin 12C. Thanks.

Hi. Do you plan to bi-amp your 4343's? They sound much better that way. Another thing to consider is to get new CC networks. THAT is a great improvement.

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    Hi. Do you plan to bi-amp your 4343's? They sound much better that way. Another thing to consider is to get new CC networks. THAT is a great improvement.
    Thanks, Rolf. I'm planning to do so in the near future as soon as I get the active crossover network and an additional amp. Do you want to recommend any particular X-over?

Thanks, Rolf. I'm planning to do so in the near future as soon as I get the active crossover network and an additional amp. Do you want to recommend any particular X-over?
    I don't think I know enough about active x-overs to give you any advice. I use JBL/UREI 5235, modified by Guido in Germany, witch I also bought the speakers and new CC network from.

Thread Information