Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket diaphragm for 033 tweeter: are they any good, easy to install?

Aftermarket diaphragm for 033 tweeter: are they any good, easy to install?

First off, I'd like to introduce myself. I've been lurking for quite some time, and thanks in large part to this forum I've purchased a set of JBL L110 speakers locally from their original owner. He was a meticulous guy and they're in perfect condition save for one problem - one of the 033's was dented and subsequently "fixed" with a bent needle, leaving large holes in the diaphragm and not surprisingly degrading the sound.

I've noticed aftermarket replacements available on that auction site for reasonable money. What should I expect from these diaphragms? Will the sound characteristics of the driver be significantly altered from original? Would it be advisable to change both diaphragms with aftermarket parts, to ensure a match? (The other one is perfect.)

And finally, what would installation entail? I've done some searching on here and it sounds like mechanically it's a straight-forward swap, but I'm unclear as to what sort of cleaning and adjustment is necessary in the course of installing and aligning the diaphragm. I have frequency generator software on my PC, and know how to use it. What am I listening for?

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by bfurg; 07-22-2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: grammar

Use JBL original parts or your speakers wont be JBL but some half arsed mongrel end of.

Obsolete
    It looks like JBL has a few of those D8R033 kits left. They're pretty proud of them though. I guess I won't be fixing mine.

Don't use aftemarket kits - just a crap-shoot where the chances you will oose are great. Use a OEM JBL kit if availible or try to find another driver(s) that is (are) in good condition.

When stuff like this is repaired or replaced, it is best to work in pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by bfurg View Post
    Will the sound characteristics of the driver be significantly altered from original? Would it be advisable to change both diaphragms with aftermarket parts, to ensure a match? (The other one is perfect.)
    Only if you can find original JBL parts if you have one that is perfect. Why would you mess with that one ??It would be best to keep it original and just try and match the bad one to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post

When stuff like this is repaired or replaced, it is best to work in pairs.
    Only if you can replace with genuine parts.If you can't then do them singley.
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    ... Why would you mess with that one ?? ...
    $$$$ and more $$$$. And if one is old with degrading hearing (hey, I resemble that remark), the HF acoustical difference may be imperceptible. Perhaps the electrical considerations may be of more importance. bfurg, I would see if seller will share the nominal DC resistance of the aftermarket unit and compare it to published specs.

I realize that keeping these legacy systems running takes effort and money but at some point (i.e., when there are no OEM parts available or the cost equation just does not work) everyone will have to go to aftermarket or dispose of (trash/fire sale) an otherwise viable core.

I also realize that this is a JBLcentric crowd and will, sometimes with good reason, discourage the use of aftermarket stuff but instead of the disparaging remarks to a new member, why doesn't someone try to help and not alienate him. I thought he had some good questions that would apply to installation of a genuine part as well when he ask "I'm unclear as to what sort of cleaning and adjustment is necessary in the course of installing and aligning the diaphragm. I have frequency generator software on my PC, and know how to use it. What am I listening for?" I wish I knew, I'd answer him. Maybe if someone would help him and he did buy the aftermarket part and tested it he could provide some beneficial information for those of us who might consider doing the same. Or at least give some objective explanation of your disdain for non-OEM parts.

[Flame suit on.]

People here discourage non-JBL aftermarket kits because they have tried them and they SUK.

As the vintage OEM JBL kits are not going to me made any longer, this option will no longer be availible and then replacing busted drivers with other working vintage drivers in god shape in auctions such as Ebay will become the standard fix.

Aftermarket kits will never be a preferred method of repair.

[QUOTE=doyall;291822]
    $$$$ and more $$$$.
    Is what he can get keeping his original JBL diaghrams original
    I also realize that this is a JBLcentric crowd and will, sometimes with good reason, discourage the use of aftermarket stuff but instead of the disparaging remarks to a new member, why doesn't someone try to help and not alienate him..
    Disparaging remarks I gave him sound advice to keep his equipment original as possible especially since getting new replacements will be harder than ever if not impossible,even a old fatiguing JBL diaghram still sounds better than those aftermarket diaghrams IMHO I know I threw enough of them in the garbage.
    Maybe if someone would help him and he did buy the aftermarket part and tested it he could provide some beneficial information for those of us who might consider doing the same. Or at least give some objective explanation of your disdain for non-OEM parts.
    Now this sounds like you want him to spend his money (Guinea Pig) on something that most of us already know sound like crap.
    [
    Flame suit on.]
    I was thinking Bomb Suit "Poof"
    People here discourage non-JBL aftermarket kits because they have tried them and they SUCK.

As the vintage OEM JBL kits are not going to me made any longer, this option will no longer be available and then replacing busted drivers with other working vintage drivers in god shape in auctions such as Ebay will become the standard fix.

As Robert can attest to they sound like crap and was trying to save him some disappointment & Money

Now if I can ever save someone, some time, and money from a little advice by sharing my experience with someone, I will do it !!!

People here discourage non-JBL aftermarket kits because they have tried them and they SUK.
    People here often paint with a pretty broad brush. Has anyone ever tried this particular brand? Does it suk? In what way? Objective evaluations/measurements would be most welcome.

As the vintage OEM JBL kits are not going to me made any longer, this option will no longer be availible and then replacing busted drivers with other working vintage drivers in god shape in auctions such as Ebay will become the standard fix.
    Purchasing used is a crap shoot as well. I've heard it many times here, buy off eBay and expect to get only a core. Even that is not guaranteed. I've even also heard some here report getting brand new transducers from the factory that were either non-spec or shipping damaged. And then there are those transducers that have the foam that degrades under the dome thereby affecting the sonics. I'm not fully convinced that without destructive testing or complex electrical/acoustical analysis beyond the ability of most it can be conclusively determined that a vintage transducer is really in "good" mechanical shape. (Hey, I'm about to convince myself that aftermarket may be the most viable alternative in some circumstances.)

I would prefer OEM as well if available and cost effective. Irrespective, I imagine sooner rather than later, aftermarket will become the only method of repair and we will either have to make the best of it or move on. If we don't want to move on shouldn't we offer constructive input rather than mindlessly chanting the anything-but-JBL-eats-shit mantra.

QUOTE: "I was thinking Bomb Suit "Poof" "

Touche!

QUOTE: "[$$$$ and more $$$$] is what he can get keeping his original JBL diaghrams original"

So one can install a D8R035TIA kit for $122 MSRP plus labor if they are not a authorized shop, then the market value (presumptive sale on eBay) of their 035TIA is cost plus labor plus nominal core value. I'm not so sure about that. Or install a C8R2245H for $270 plus labor plus $70 core value and that makes their 2245H worth how much?

QUOTE: "Disparaging remarks "

Didn't make any accusations against you personally.

QUOTE: "Now this sounds like you want him to spend his money (Guinea Pig) on something that most of us already know sound like crap."

Well, somebody is going to have to make some objective determinations sooner rather than later. (See prior post.) With the price of the aftermarket 033 diaphragm on eBay (which I will admit is a bad sign to begin with), there isn't that much cost involved. If one is deeply involved in this hobby and has the proper equipment along with the inclination, $35 - $40 ain't squat. And it seems as though all of your argument is subjective. Not saying your particular experiences were not determinative for you in your instances, but not all situations present the identical set of facts from which conclusions should be drawn.

Please believe me here. I'm not trying to offend anyone, just attempting to have a reasoned, rational discussion of the issues that confront us all. With 12 or so (depending on how you count) pairs of JBL speakers, most vintage, and a room full of spare parts I have a vested interest.

I think you are missing my point but first I want to apologize to Bfurg as we are getting way off his topic.

I wasn't talking about your drivers that are already bad what I was talking about was leaving the good one he already had alone.And just fixing the one he had that was bad.

I would have to say that the objective evaluations have been done on aftermaret kits long before Harman/JBL decided to eliminate the manufature of vintage OEM kits.

Yeh, buying used drivers in what the seller describes as good shape is a crap-shoot. Unfortunaely, if I had a bad driver and could not find TWO JBL OEM repair kits, this is what I would consider. I have many JBL systems and also have a vested interest in the outcomes.

I would never consider an aftermarket kit because I have done that and wasted money.

Just snag a donor pair of L40's from CL....I see them often , usually needing refoaming and at abt $40. Instant pair of 033's.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

[QUOTE=robertbartsch;291858 ... objective evaluations have been done on aftermaret kits ... [/QUOTE]

Are there any that you know of and can point us to on these particular units:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

which are probably the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Just snag a donor pair of L40's from CL....I see them often , usually needing refoaming and at abt $40. Instant pair of 033's.
    All things considered, probably the best thing to do IF one lives in a market in which they come up often.

Unfortunately, that's not the case where I live.

Thread Information