Thread: How to detach the horn drivers from 4343?

smartpolo

How to detach the horn drivers from 4343?

Hi, does someone know how to detach the horn drivers from JBL4343? Thanks!

Tom Loizeaux

Re: How to detach the horn drivers from 4343?

Originally posted by smartpolo
    Hi, does someone know how to detach the horn drivers from JBL4343? Thanks!
    Yes, they are screwed in from the front panel by four bolts. If you remove the 15" driver, you can reach up around the mid box and find the horn and compression driver. It would be easiest to remove the top baffle carefully, tilt out the panel to gain better access to the horn and driver. It may take a little wiggling as these tend to stick after being fastented tightly in place for a long time. When removing the top baffle, note which screws come out from which holes, as there are 2 differant lengths. I also noted the position of each horn, in terms of which side was up, when I removed them so they went back perfectly. Sometimes there are little irregularities in the wood or seal on the horns that might cause a tiny air leak if not re-mounted the same way.
    Post more questions if you need.

Tom

smartpolo
    Hi Tom, I found it's difficult to touch the tweeters (2405) from the woofer's hole, do you have any method for detach them? Thanks!

Figge
    well i have not seen these speakers in reality. but as Tom said i believe you have to pull the upper half of the baffle. look at the pic and u will see that the baffle is splitted into two just over the woofer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Figge; 08-06-2004 at 05:18 AM.

Figge
    Attached Images Attached Images  

smartpolo
    Can someone tell me what baffle means? Thanks!

Figge
    hi! the baffle is the front of the speaker..where the drivers are attached...in this case its easy: everything thats blue is the baffle
    Last edited by Figge; 08-07-2004 at 02:44 AM.

Leave the baffle alone

I would try to reach through the 15" hole and around the 10" sub enclosure first. I remember pulling out the baffles(the whole piece of wood that the 10", horn and tweeter are attached to) and chipping paint off the baffle and sides.

That baffle has probably been there a long time. So, it might be hard to pull out. It would be nice to keep the speakers looking as new.

I hope you have long arms and are good with a wrench.

Also, be sure to turn you upper mid level control back and forth many times. Then test to see if you get sound. Sometimes it is just the pot of the level control that is bad. Maybe others can tell you how to test the pot better.

It is rare that a driver goes bad on these. Are the 2405 and 2121 bad as well?

Thread Information