Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enough Already

Obsolete
    And yet... here you are...

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    It has gotten to the point that it is simply not fun to come here.
    No one is building anything. It's boring.

Maybe we should change the forum language to Chinese or Japanese? That should liven the place up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The requirements are somewhat restrictive.

David Smith and I are reworking AR4x (of all things) in another forum.

I've loaded it with a JBL waveguide and Selenium (now Harman) compression driver. Would that project qualify for prime time here?

[How 'bout if we used a JBL woofer...? ]

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch View Post
    The requirements are somewhat restrictive.

David Smith and I are reworking AR4x (of all things) in another forum.

I've loaded it with a JBL waveguide and Selenium (now Harman) compression driver. Would that project qualify for prime time here?

[How 'bout if we used a JBL woofer...? ]
    There are no requirements anymore Zilch. Zip. Nada. Most of the "JBL drivers" are sourced from third party manufacturers now. Think of them as the Kenmore of loudspeakers. They do what you do, source drivers, put them in boxes and see what happens.

I wonder if Harman is going to make Selenium drivers unobtainable too. That would be kind of dumb don't you think? I'll bet they'll do it then.

I can only guess as to the acquisition strategy. It clearly provides large-scale EX-US manufacturing infrastructure along with considerable experience and expertise....

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    Hello All

I can't help but notice the amount of negativity on this forum. It has gotten to the point that it is simply not fun to come here. We can't cure the ills of the world, fix the political system in our country or get the factory workers their jobs back by discussing it here. This is supposed to be an audio enthusiast forum to celebrate the Heritage that
    James B Lansing started all those years ago. Why don't we try to stay on topic, the real topic of this forum. It seems to have gotten lost somewhere along the way.

Thanks Rob
    Okay I agree with Rob a lot of “negative waves” have surfaced on and off the ups and down for several years. I have crummy days of deep negative depression (only I can sort it out for myself).

Well as Oddball said in Kelly’s Heroes...

I try and find something new each day, even if does seem like perpetual boring Déjà vu I try my best, I’m only human.

Oftentimes wakes end up lacking in the fun factor...Dude... those sites are epic fails...
    That would be hanging the wrong people...
    Hey I wouldn’t go as far as calling it epic fail. I’ve been on facebook for just over a year. Its webcam upload is total rubbish! I must have tried 20 times last night to do simple 10 or 20 min rant and it failed with countless errors that almost had me punching the monitor!

I have a sort tolerance!

The rest of its service isn’t bad. JBL have their, own facebook page that I visit on and off.

JBL HARMAN
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=669675148#!/JBL

There is some talk on vintage JBL D44000 Paragon on facebook so its hardly epic fail.

Obsolete

Epic Fail

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    I’ve been on facebook for just over a year.
    I rest my case...

J/K

Anyway... I'm pretty pissed off with respect to the turn of events at JBL. It's not something that I am going to get over. I'll endeavor to leave it at that.

People are building stuff, it's just that you'd have to be insane to post any details of it here lest you be set upon by the odiferous sour-puss cronies.

On a somewhat brighter note, I recently designed some close field monitor speakers that PMI is building in the U.S., so not all American manufacturing is gone. We've had great response from a lot of well known studio engineers and producers. Maybe I can help (in a small way) to keep the JBL heritage going, since a lot of the ideas come from my days at JBL, and long conversations about speaker design with Ed May, Bart Locanthi, George Augspurger, and Bill Burton.

If this model goes well, there will be other models for mastering engineers, and, maybe eventually, for home hi-fi's.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    People are building stuff, it's just that you'd have to be insane to post any details of it here lest you be set upon by the odiferous sour-puss cronies.

I don't for that very reason, but let's test the waters for fun, heres what I built the weekend of July Fourth, it was a busy three days, but fun! All in all there four two way boxes and four subs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I don't for that very reason, but let's test the waters for fun, heres what I built the weekend of July Fourth, it was a busy three days, but fun! All in all there four two way boxes and four subs.
    Did you repaint the horns, or were they new/in pristine condition?
    Out.

Don't hide a project in this thread... get it out there
    2344 1" driver + 2020H?, 12-15" tapped-looking horns? electronic drive?
    what's not to like?

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I've heard that lament often (and one of the reasons I gave up on Project May). You just have to do what Don does, fire and forget. Post your project and then ignore the peanut gallery. I'm not sure it's an issue anymore anyway. I think all the problem children have left the building.

Pristine is almost an understatement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Did you repaint the horns, or were they new/in pristine condition?
    1Audiohack,

I too am interested to know if your 2234 was repainted. If it is, would you mind sharing any secrets on your finishing process. I have two that I will soon attempt to restore and would appreciate any pointers from anyone with experience with this foam material. I know this should be the start of new thread but lacking the wherewithall to do so (Noob). Thanks in advance.

Sorry to be late, I will start a thread on this tonight.

Thanks.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Funny !

I've heard that lament often (and one of the reasons I gave up on Project May). You just have to do what Don does, fire and forget. Post your project and then ignore the peanut gallery. I'm not sure it's an issue anymore anyway. I think all the problem children have left the building.
    Those problem children must have read the book "Toxic Parents" or found a Tad supplier . The price of a 2235 kit has risen 70% here in Europe..... WTF . There is a man in Ohio that has done more to help us with serious projects than anyone else and yet cops the most shit .....again WTF ? My K2 project will have to wait along time to get the drivers it deserves .... At least they became officially VINTAGE now discontinued LOL .

Rich

Thread Information