Thread: Century Gold Charge Coupled Crossovers

dblaxter

Red face Century Gold Charge Coupled Crossovers

hi everyone
    i have a pair of century gold c.c. crossovers, the main and l.f. x-overs, i was curious which set of bookshelf speaker would benefit most from upgrading to these x-overs, the ones i have that may be good candidates are
    120ti's
    240ti's
    L112
    4313b
    L110
    L100 ????
    4310 ???? i dont think the last 2 pairs would be a good choice but i listed the ones i have in the 3 way family
    anyway ,i know their is quite a few of you gentlemen here that have the knowledge and experience to help me to make a decision versus trial and error, i would be very thankful for any advice or ideas given
    thanks again in advance
    i am looking foward to reading any posts or discussions
    best regards
    michael smith

...probably a subjective determination.

I have a set of L99s with charged coupled X-overs and they are stinkers.... I swapped out some of the components and they are some what better now but I will now stay away from these x-overs.

I have also swaped out caps in older factory passive crossovers and I beleive the improvements many claim are bull but that is just my take.

hi everyone
    i have a pair of century gold c.c. crossovers, the main and l.f. x-overs, i was curious which set of bookshelf speaker would benefit most from upgrading to these x-overs,
    None of them. You can't just drop them into any of the systems you have listed. You could but it would be blind as they were not designed for those systems and drivers. You would be better off just changing one of the other systems over to a CC network. Pick something with a simple network like the L100 or 4310 to see what you think before you make the plunge with a more complex and expensive network.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    ...probably a subjective determination.
    Definitely! Some people can't hear what other people can hear. That's a given.
    I have a set of L99s with charged coupled X-overs and they are stinkers.... I swapped out some of the components and they are some what better now but I will now stay away from these x-overs.
    Maybe they're beyond your level of sophistication. Not everyone can afford the gear to take advantage of the technology. L99's are stinkers anyway. I doubt charge-coupling that nasty network would improve anything. That's like throwing good money after bad.
    I have also swaped out caps in older factory passive crossovers and I beleive the improvements many claim are bull but that is just my take.
    It's only bull if you can't hear the difference.

Given the number of listening tests that have been conducted at JBL (where fails aren't allowed to audition loudspeaker systems) and elsewhere there is no doubt remaining that upgraded network components has a positive impact.

If charge-coupling didn't work JBL wouldn't waste a penny on it. They're very serious about penny pinching. As a matter of fact, the latest charge-coupled system, which hasn't been released for production yet, uses diodes instead of batteries to save on the cost of the battery holder.
    Quote Originally Posted by dblaxter View Post
    hi everyone
    i have a pair of century gold c.c. crossovers, the main and l.f. x-overs, i was curious which set of bookshelf speaker would benefit most from upgrading to these x-overs, the ones i have that may be good candidates are
    120ti's
    240ti's
    L112
    4313b
    L110
    L100 ????
    4310 ???? i dont think the last 2 pairs would be a good choice but i listed the ones i have in the 3 way family
    anyway ,i know their is quite a few of you gentlemen here that have the knowledge and experience to help me to make a decision versus trial and error, i would be very thankful for any advice or ideas given
    thanks again in advance
    best regards
    michael smith
    If you have to ask then you're not there yet. No one is going to be able to answer that for you.

My 4313B's are obviously charge-coupled because I can definitely hear the difference. The stock system sounds two-dimensional and dead by comparison. Unfortunately the charge-coupled networks for any of those tired old systems you list are more expensive than the entire systems are worth.

dblaxter

I guess some system are more tired then others

hi
    i definitly enjoyed reading some of the replies
    i just wonder what type of 4313b's that you have (4313B) that they seem to be worth more then anyone elses that only yours are worth charged crossovers, because i know you have a vast amounts of knowledge but fill us in so were all not in the dark,plus those ears GOLD PLATE THOSE F*%^ERS i have to remember that i have to be ready for the short ,cut off at the knee replies when the knowledge of questions are not on your level, LOL
    but i do value all the info that is given here,
    but you are right no one could answer my question here i just thought....
    anyway ,i will go on about my quest do some more research and try the crossovers anyway on the old systems that i feel they may sound better in ,since i only paid less then 100.00 for all to the door ,not remakes just nos.if i blow the drivers up, o well,
    if we all did not try certain things because of others advice against (wrong or right) we would not have have of the wonderful inventions we have today
    i saw today on parts express upgraded replacement crossovers for the L100's on sale for 250.00 from 350.00 a pair so someone must be doing some tinkering to make the old stuff sound great or greater again
    but all B.S. aside thanks gentlemen for your input ,replies ,etc, i truly love this site and looking foward to more
    best regards
    michael smith

Quote Originally Posted by dblaxter View Post
    hi everyone
    120ti's
    240ti's
    L112
    4313b
    L110
    L100 ????
    thanks again in advance
    best regards
    michael smith
    If I correctly paraphrase your question to be “what if I put this Century Gold crossover into any one of these speakers listed below. Will it work as an upgrade to that speaker, just because it is couple charged?”

Clearly the answer is no. That would presume all crossovers are the same and interchangeable, which they are not. The components are customized to the drivers, the cabinet, the intended use, and a multitude of other parameters. Using the Gold crossover in another system will sound different, guaranteed. Better, guaranteed not. Hope this helps.
    David F
    San Jose

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    If I correctly paraphrase your question to be “what if I put this Century Gold crossover into any one of these speakers listed below. Will it work as an upgrade to that speaker, just because it is couple charged?”

Clearly the answer is no. That would presume all crossovers are the same and interchangeable, which they are not. The components are customized to the drivers, the cabinet, the intended use, and a multitude of other parameters. Using the Gold crossover in another system will sound different, guaranteed. Better, guaranteed not. Hope this helps.
    I was so peeved at the follow up response that I didn't even read the OP post correctly. For some bizarre reason I though he was asking if he should charge couple all those other systems he had.

Yeah, the Century Gold crossovers are for the Century Gold.

In the case of charge coupling all those other systems the stock inductors can be reused to reduce costs.

dblaxter

Red face THANKS for the reread and reply

hi again,
    i hope you realize that although we all take this jbl stuff seriously i only take the other comments in good fun, and i hope you can take what i said in good fun no disrespect intended ,also i realize that most of you gentlemen have the experience and knowledge we seek, and of coasre i was not wanting to charge couple all of them, i just wanted to know if i might have a good use for the x-overs that have been sitting.
    As far as the all of those sets i listed jbl did a dam good job without any mods,(i know thats an opinion everybody has different taste) but we all like to try to better things if possible, and of coasre get the next best model, step up,etc.
    So i humbly apologize if i offended (4313B)
    thanks again to all, i know if i do some research here, there have been enuf post on c.c. for alot of models, since the ones i have are not suitable, i have the woofers and tweeters but no mids ,no cabs etc.
    best regards

Obsolete
    Yeah, sorry I completely misread the original post.

Thread Information