Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scoopers

Scoopers

Hi,

I´m thinking again of building some scoops for small privat party applications...
    Either way I`d build four JBL-4530 or two JBL-4520....
    So each side will be a Top and two Sub-chassis..

Which driver`s are best suited for this enclosure ?

I was thinking of JBL E-140 , E-145 , E-155 , 2240h

Any suggestions?

Tops will be two JBL E-110 in about 1,5cubic feet each side plus 2470 and 2402....

Thanks a lot,
    Olaf

2-4520s is better than 4-4530s

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    Hi,

I´m thinking again of building some scoops for small privat party applications...
    Either way I`d build four JBL-4530 or two JBL-4520....
    So each side will be a Top and two Sub-chassis..

Which driver`s are best suited for this enclosure ?

I was thinking of JBL E-140 , E-145 , E-155 , 2240h

Any suggestions?

Tops will be two JBL E-110 in about 1,5cubic feet each side plus 2470 and 2402....

Thanks a lot,
    Olaf
    The 4520 is a BIGGER bass horn, but is also heaver and harder to more than the 4530 is.
    Any JBL bass driver will work, D,K,E 140s 2225, 2226, 2205. 2220, etc.
    I used 2226s in a pair of 4520 and result was very good, very good indeed

bass horn length

the single is 7ft long, the double is 13ft and couples a little better in a room due to the larger mouth area. It will fit through doors if you make the depth 29.5 and put lots of handles on it esp the top so you can tip it back onto a cart.

The best speaker would be the 2227H but they are pretty hard to find otherwise use the 2226 and you will be quite happy with the performance.

The newer Nd frames have a mag structure that is too deep for the scoops...

sub

formerly "the city where imagination takes precedence over fact"

some hearsay for your consideration

i've heard that TAD woofers are too deep for a JBL scoop also, but that folks have done "somewhat minor" re-design work to get them to fit, and perform well...

(what exactly that means, i have no idea, but in the pics i've seen of some single scoop clones... they look quite a bit taller/deeper than the actual bon-a-fide JBL design)

Hi volks,

thanks a lot for your respond on this thread, I appreciate this.

Could you please tell me how the following drivers will compare in the 4520:
    2226h, E-140 , E-145 , E-155 , 2240h

Because these are the driver`s I can definetly buy.....

In case of the E-155 or 2240h I would simply build the 4520 larger until they fit.

Quote Originally Posted by subwoof View Post
    the single is 7ft long, the double is 13ft and couples a little better in a room due to the larger mouth area.
    One 4520 hasn`t got a larger mouth area than two 4530.... Or did I get you wrong....!?

4520 horn is much longer and loads the drivers better than the 4530.

Hi volks,

thanks a lot for your respond on this thread, I appreciate this.

Could you please tell me how the following drivers will compare in the 4520:
    2226h, E-140 , E-145 , E-155 , 2240h

Because these are the driver`s I can definetly buy.....

In case of the E-155 or 2240h I would simply build the 4520 larger until they fit.

One 4520 hasn`t got a larger mouth area than two 4530.... Or did I get you wrong....!?
    The 2226 I used were excellent, they are current production drivers, will handle much more power than the vintage E series which are about 25~30 years old now.
    I could shake the room at 32hz with the ones that used!
    If you can get 2226 then do so. I saw my first 4520s over 45 years ago, don't know what drivers were in them, probably 2205 at the time. Any of the speakers we have listed will work it's the horn that does the job.

The mouth is higher in a 4520 but narrower than two 4530, however the horn is longer than the 4530.
    Mouth on the 4520 is 705 x 832mm while the 4530 is 565 x 565mm

Hi Dr., this is exactly what we did in my place back in 1977. Being that I have a Bumper Car ride, and we just didn't have the space to fit in the really huge folded horns of the day we did like, and we did NOT like the smaller folded horns we could fit in, we had upsized copies of the double JBL scoop cabinets built to house dual 18in woofers.

Originally, we used the JBL E-155, and for the time, it was a killer sounding combination, the bass was just so quick and articulate sounding with the the kick so centered on the strike of the bass drums skin. In the early 80,s, we then began using the 2240H in the scoops, again killer sounding combo. To this day, I still have these cabinets in my corner stacks, and still use the JBL 2240H, and it just works. They are powered by Crown Macro Techs, and I love them still, they do something that sounds so right. Punchy sounding bass, with a very nice oomphy low end, still rocks the house.
    scottyj

Bill Fitzmaurice designs some pretty amazing bass horns that might be worth a look.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/

Ahh ok,

you`re right, the mouth of one 4520 is allready bigger than two 4530.... I didnt thought so, but you named it!

E-155 and later 2240h in the scoops; I`m glad to talk to somebody who actually realized this ideas!!
    Sound like they allways pleased you with nice JBL-Sound and the idea really did work in reality as well, awesome!!

How much amp-power would you consider to be appropriate for each 2240h ?

Thanks for the link, Ill check back on it tomorrow with time!

Best wishes,
    Olaf

Found this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-4520-SPEAKER...item3eff6ccce4

Here is an unusual pair of 4520 scoops.

I understand that the scoop was designed for the 2225. That is what I am running in my scoops.

Ahh ok,

you`re right, the mouth of one 4520 is allready bigger than two 4530.... I didnt thought so, but you named it!

E-155 and later 2240h in the scoops; I`m glad to talk to somebody who actually realized this ideas!!
    Sound like they allways pleased you with nice JBL-Sound and the idea really did work in reality as well, awesome!!

How much amp-power would you consider to be appropriate for each 2240h ?

Thanks for the link, Ill check back on it tomorrow with time!

Best wishes,
    Olaf
    Dr. YES The 2240,s sound great in this type of cabinet.

I find that with the 2240, I get great results with anywhere from around 225 watts PER woofer to 600 watts PER woofer.

I have gotten phenomenal results with an 800 watt per channel Crown Macro Tech 2400 driving two double 18in JBL 2240H loaded upsized scoops.

Now, here is a tidbit of info I have picked up down through the years. I have tried several different woofers in my scoops, and drivers that are suitable for this type of loading, other brands, as well as within the JBL family! For me, NOTHING BUT JBL does it for me in these cabinets. Other JBL drivers sound OK, but I have a preference for the 2240H, but, I never was satisfied with other brands of drivers, even though the models I used were suitable for these cabinets.

!JBL
    scottyj

The scoop was desinged a long time ago!

Quote Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
    I understand that the scoop was designed for the 2225. That is what I am running in my scoops.
    I saw/heard scoops for the first time in 1966, long before the 2225 was made, my guess is that they had 2205s in them. JBL just changed the recommended driver as new models were made.

The C43 theatre scoop cabinet (and the home versions) were originally designed in the 50s for the D130.

Thread Information