Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JBL 3731 and McIntosh

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Very nice system; I have a few JBL pro applications in the home and like them too. I notice you are using 33LPs not CDs or other digital sources. You might want to try the Floyd using a digital source.
    Hi
    I have CD-player, two of them. Both LP and CD sound great.

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Have you though about running tri-amp instead of bi-amp? The MC252 is 250/channel which should be plenty for driving the bass and mid seperately.
    Hi
    I have been thinking about tri-amping, but wanted too have as much power to the bass as possible. It is true that tri-amp is the way to go but I am more than satisfied with this configuration.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hi
    I have been thinking about tri-amping, but wanted too have as much power to the bass as possible. It is true that tri-amp is the way to go but I am more than satisfied with this configuration.
    Thanks
    I don't doubt that is sound great! And much power for the bass section seems reasonable. But if your crossover supports 3-way, it could be fun to try and actually compare the performance.

But thumbs up from here! Impressive how the reverb-time is improved with all your treatment.

look at this wanted ad on Soundbroker - is this true?

[QUOTE=Jonas_h;290826]I don't doubt that is sound great! And much power for the bass section seems reasonable. But if your crossover supports 3-way, it could be fun to try and actually compare the performance.
    QUOTE]

Name:  3632t5way2.jpg
Views: 8286
Size:  216.4 KB
    JBL3632T(x3), 4645C(x2) and 2405(x4/centerx2). 5 way multi-amp setup. 3632 is old version of 373x.

I've ever tried 3, 4 and 5-way multi-amp drive with JBL3632-T, 4645C and 2405. Of course experimental try but it sounds great. However, it was extremely difficult for appropriate tune to get flat responce of FFT measurement data by SmaartV6 using SystemArchitect(tuning software by Harman) for dbx driverack4800 over 4 way setup.

Usually, I apply x-curve equalization for multi-channel blu-ray movie, therefore super-tweeter(2405) is unnecessary. But, I think multi-amp drive must be a challenging and exciting procedure in stereophonic or multi channel 96kHz/24bit FLAC (for example 2L-Nordic sound) reproduction in JBL ScreenArray.

http://monolith-theater.net/hal/?p=1591 (JBL3632T)

We went to a small 90 seat movie house this weekend and we arrived about 45 minutes early. The sound before and during the movie was exceptional. Effortless reproduction, great dynamic range, full frequency responce, etc.

I was hoping to peek behind the stage but, unfortunately, I did not get a chance. The pics here are of a pro JBL system oringally designed for movie houses; correct?

Why more people do not use these in home systems is puzzling to me.

Anyway, I would love to hear this system - must be impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    We went to a small 90 seat movie house this weekend and we arrived about 45 minutes early. The sound before and during the movie was exceptional. Effortless reproduction, great dynamic range, full frequency responce, etc.

I was hoping to peek behind the stage but, unfortunately, I did not get a chance. The pics here are of a pro JBL system oringally designed for movie houses; correct?

Why more people do not use these in home systems is puzzling to me.

Anyway, I would love to hear this system - must be impressive.
    My picture of 3632T below is JBL professional ScreenArray and are used in commercial theaters. For example, The Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre is equipped with tuned another version of JBL ScreenArray.

Name:  goldenson.jpg
Views: 5994
Size:  18.7 KB
    The Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre

Name:  JBL_ScreenArray.jpg
Views: 9171
Size:  41.5 KB
    new 37xx series

Indeed, it's rare system in consumer use. The main reason, i think, is the difficulty of setup and the space of the room. These speakers were designed for wall mount and setting back of the perforated sound screen.

To get best and fantastic results in home use, the tuning of cross-over and room acoustical equalization are needed.The gears and software for the sound measurement and acoustic control are necessary. It is not easy for an amateur to master at once. However, there is a method of getting acoustician's help or using automatic sound adjustment tools, too.

There is another problem of purchase route. It's not home audio shop for comsumers but pro-audio dealers.

That is, the setup is not easy like system speakers. An equal technic and labor with high quality self-made DIY speaker is required , like Mctwins.

Mctwins
    Hi
    The reason I went for these speakers is I wanted a true bi-amp configuration and I only have two-way crossover so I can't experiment with tri-amp. Monolith has some point here regarding the setup for these speakers. The room acoustics and the tuning of crossover settings maybe isin't for everyone, it requires some work here. Maybe the look dosen't appeal for everyone as well. For me, the sound gets better for each day that's goes. I am amazed how well and good the sound is and I am only listening to music.
    Thanks

Mctwins
    Hi
    Now I have change from DBX 223XL to Driverack PA+ and done some adjustment. As you can see the freq response has improved since the last time. I have not done any other changes such as room treatment or different speakers position, everthing is the same as before.

The difference in the bass region is due to the cutoff freq at 40 Hz Butterworth12 slope. A guy from the DBX forum advice me too do this, he said I could damage the cone. I can't explain why but I am testing it for now, will come back with some more info on that.
    The reverb time T30 and CSD is the same, nothing has change here.

The green is DBX PA+ and the yellow is before.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Very nice! That system just looks like fun.

Are you also the acoustician?

How do you like ARTA?
    Hi
    I am not a acoustician, but I have learned a lot by myself and it has been fun. Here is a linkhttp://www.performanceacousticslabs....ing_Rooms.html and they are the exclusive distributor for SMT who has the same stuff that I have regarding the room treatment. I am not affiliated whith these guys but they can provide any help about room acoustics if anybody is interested. Great rooms and picture.

All I can say about this great room treatment is that it works and if you will have any chance go and listening to a room with this treatment, it's a great experience.
    Thanks

Mctwins
    Hi
    Sorry I didin't answer to your question, 1audiohack. Yes, the ARTA is a great program.

Had added some more diffusion to the ceiling and moved those I had on the ceiling to the side wall. Very satisfied

Now on new project, adding two subwoofers JBL 4641 in near future, this never ends.
    Thanks

Mctwins
    Hi
    It's been a long time I posted on this thread. I have added two JBL 4641 Subs and a Crown Macro-tech MA5000i amp to drive it.

Congrats on your new gear! I have the 4645c myself, and absolutely love it! Where do you cross the speakers to the subs?

Now put on Louie Louie and blast it on 11
    Paragon
    Olympus
    L-100's
    4311's

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    Congrats on your new gear! I have the 4645c myself, and absolutely love it! Where do you cross the speakers to the subs?
    Hi
    I am using on 4641 Highpass 25Hz BW24 and Lowpass 80Hz LR24 and Highpass 80Hz LR to main sub on 3731.

Thread Information