Thread: Jbl 4311???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    jackz4000

Jbl 4311???

Hi All,

I am new to this board. What a wealth of info and knowledge and its a pleasure to read. What is the difference between a JBL 4311A and a 4311B??? Seems to be primiarily Alinco vs. Ferrite magnets. Does this affect the overall sound? Thanks, Jackz

You are correct. All of the 43XXBs use ferrite mags for the woofers. In the case of the 4311 vs. 4311B both the mid and woofer are different. All 4311s had a ferrite tweeter.

Yes they sound different. I guess picking which one sounds better depends on who is listening.

Widget

jackz4000
    Thanks Mr. Widget, I could not figure out if either the Alinco or Ferrite's would be very different in sound signature. From my 70's studio days I recall the 4311's as a very good speaker to my ears. Don't recall if they were A's or B's. Just bought a pair on Ebay on impulse....$227, for a trip down memory lane. Can't loose at that price.

I'm not completely sure on how the speakers components have withstood the wear of time....but soon, I will after I get them.

Anything for me to pay close attention to when I get them? Cheers, Jackz

Originally posted by jackz4000
    Anything for me to pay close attention to when I get them? Cheers, Jackz
    Dood...

I don't mean to be persnickety, but the way things have gone here, you might be wise to yank the woofers and see they're hooked-up identically. We've seen some (let's call it...) "ingenious" perspectives on JBL's polarity convention. Best is to follow their network schematic. The one Giskard posted this eons ago, but to ensure you've got it:

Oh, and you should use the Search button, upper right, on strings like "4311" and "alnico vs ferrite" and you'll find some interesting posts. Grist for the mill...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boputnam; 08-02-2004 at 09:11 PM.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Figge
    Originally posted by boputnam
    you might be wise to yank the woofers and see they're hooked-up identically

Hi Jackz!

welcome aboard!

listen to Bo!
    this was the case with my 4311:s...check this! also on the mids.

second: just listen to them carfully and see that the drivers are intact, no rubbing or such.

oh! almost forgot: the L-pads is realy crappy on theese speakers. specially after 30years! i found my self spraying som electronicspray (the one clearing out oxide in swiches and stuff)
    into them...believe it or not it was an improvement....

BTW: is it A:s or B:s you´ve bought?

regards Fredrik
    Last edited by Figge; 08-03-2004 at 03:02 AM.

jackz4000

Polarity

Thanks Bo, I will check the polarity when they arrive. I would think that it would not be too difficult for my ears to hear a reversed polarity problem? Or am I wrong on that? But, it is something I will check on.

Thanks Figgie, L-Pad? Do you mean the crossover should be sprayed with Detoxit or an electronic cleaner spray? Oh! These are the "B's" with ferrite mags, as I understand it.

I got them because I have been wanting to upgrade my speakers for some months. My current set-up sound quite good, but they cannot really handle the high watts my amp can output. I got these on a last second whim. I am more of a low to moderate volume listener, but I do get company who like to crank it up to high SPL's.

Having some experience with speakers and researching on this site I concluded that the older JBL's 43xx and 44xx would deliver the best combination of value/performance/price for me. That is the formula I use for nearly anything I buy.

Also, the JBL components seem to be available. And also the quality and availability and knowledge of this board did swing me to buy JBL. As well as my fond memories of their excellent performance I have heard in the past. Thanks, jackz

Figge
    I would think that it would not be too difficult for my ears to hear a reversed polarity problem?
    probably not...but it isnt allways obvious!

L-Pad?
    level-pads or level knobs.

but I do get company who like to crank it up to high SPL's
    4311:s plays Really loud if u want it too!! and still Rock´n Roll!

older JBL's 43xx and 44xx would deliver the best combination of value/performance/price
    I´ll correct that: "older JBL's 43xx and 44xx would deliver the best combination of value/performance at any price!"
    Last edited by Figge; 08-03-2004 at 06:12 AM.

Re: Polarity

I would think that it would not be too difficult for my ears to hear a reversed polarity problem?
    Hey, Jackz...

It varies, depending on proximity of the L and R cabinets, and the acoustic response of the room. Ideally, yes, very easy to hear. Practically no, it is more of a muddy, indisinct resolution of the sound. And, naturally, this is less obvious at lower frequencies then say, mids.

The first set of 4313B's I lucked into had been extensively "reworked". Someone tried to rewire the crossover with heavy gauge, and either made a simple error, or seemed to have gotten quite confused about the JBL polarity convention. Regardless, they sounded good at first; after some serious network triage, they were stunning. An incredible improvement.

Good luck! And, keep us posted...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

jackz4000

Polarity 2

Thanks for correcting me on, "at any price". And Bo, a good heads up...one never does know if someone tinkered under the hood.

These 4311b's will replace my old mint KLH Model 5 speakers (circa 1969) which have done a nice job over the years. Due to space, convenience and aesthetics I wanted a large bookshelf sized speaker, but with better power handling abilities than the 5's. I think the 43xx's do that very well. I expect they will sound better too.

In time I will probably replace the rear "B" speakers with JBL's also. But these can be sized larger.

I also have an Infinity Sub ( 12", 500rms) which I have still not hooked up yet to this system.

I have 2 vintage Pioneer Sx-1250 receivers (circa 1977, 165rms per/ch) for the engine.

I mainly listen to music, rock, jazz and classical. I have a HT set-up, mainly for company which I use very infrequently. There is just alot more good music out there than movies to watch.

This is an excellent board with alot of knowledgeable people, Cheers, jackz

Figge

Thumbs up

I have 2 vintage Pioneer Sx-1250 receivers (circa 1977, 165rms per/ch) for the engine.
    those are mighty fine recievers!

Regis

Nice!

The big Pioneer SX recievers were mighty fine iron! Nice to see another fan of the "silver era"!

jackz4000

SX

Yes Figgie and Regis the 1250 is a very nice unit. Aesthetically, I got sick of the "black plague" the audio industry has unleashed. Black must be much cheaper.

I have 2 side by side (1 is a back-up) just in case. The responses from people seeing them is nothing short of amazing. Found out that chicks love the look.

I put alot of research before getting them and these are both near perfect. Just a work of art from back in 1976-77 and very well engineered. No skimping or cutting corners here for the corporate margin. Cheers, jackz

Figge

Re: SX

I have 2 side by side (1 is a back-up) just in case.

thats the spirit!

Thread Information