Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do you think of the jbl l7s

ive used several brands of cd player but my favorite and the one i currently use is the playstation 3 ( its cd , blue ray , 3d blue ray and all that other mess) try one out , they seam to sound great , plus if your lazy like me , you can store your songs and movies on it, with no loss in sound quality....once again thats based on my ears....it doesnt download just in crappy mp3 format it has many others

Quote Originally Posted by JBLAddict View Post
    Everytime I read this, I can't resist swapping the L7 and L5 for a test run, and invariably put any doubt to rest. "If" there's a better upper end balance to the L5, the room filling fullness from the L7 trumps the L5 everytime, and reminds me why I upgraded to the L7 after initially starting with the L5.......the L5 is clean and nicely balanced, the L7 immerses me in the music....
    Heh, no doubt the L7 is the better speaker. But as dome wrote about 700 times in the main L thread... there are caveats with it that the L5 doesn't have.

You don't need the big room and good positioning the L7's need. Honestly, how many people do you know that have their equipment setup with their fronts 3 feet in and out from each wall, nothing big in between them and in a good triangular listening position?

You don't need the huge power the L7's will take. No AVR is going to give them what they want. L5's love more power too, but a good quality AVR will drive them fine.

L5's aren't nearly as big, and given the no side woofer configuration the placement flexibility is about a thousand times better. On top of that they are generally cheaper.

Bit of a minor fact for most but I also like that the L5 is a regular foam-free build. Most L7's are due for refoaming of the side woofs. This makes the L5 a safer buy it cheap to toy with it and invest no money option.

So... I just think most average people with average rooms and average AVR's will get much better results with L5's.

I realize full well all those mosts don't apply to the dedicated folks that frequent here. But people with big dedicated room and equipment to drive L7's are a small % of audio guys, who are a small % of everyone. Those average guys are gonna have better luck with L5's, I think, and maybe that is why I just love the L5. It's the everyman speaker of the lineup.
    JBL doesn't want to sell you Performance Series speakers.

I'm still saving for an OPPO, a great piece of equipment for my SACD collection. Both L7's and L5's are sweet, built like tanks and very sensitive.

You know, BMWCCA has brought his pair of L7s to a couple of our listening parties, and while they play really nicely, position doesn't seem nearly as critical as I have heard here.
    he brought them to Opimax's once and I'm pretty sure they weren't 3 foot away from the back or the side wall ...

But maybe if we disparage them some more, the L7 prices will drop again,
    and I can get a set pretty cheaply! I'd like that!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    he brought them to Opimax's once and I'm pretty sure they weren't 3 foot away from the back or the side wall ...
    And we all know that's a tough room! Needs lots of big subs even with 240ti's, right?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And we all know that's a tough room! Needs lots of big subs even with 240ti's, right?
    Agreed a tough room , but they are 250ti not 240ti, have a B460 and a Velo spl1200 and still could use more bass mostly above the sub level but still that room just sucks bass out of the music!

Bass traps are in the works somwhere...
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Agreed a tough room , but they are 250ti not 240ti, have a B460 and a Velo spl1200 and still could use more bass mostly above the sub level but still that room just sucks bass out of the music!

Bass traps are in the works somwhere...
    They aren't 260Tis yet? for SHAME, time to UPGRADE!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    ...but they are 250ti not 240ti
    Yeah, I knew that but I make mistakes with that series all the time. I guess my mind thinks anything with a 14-inch in it should have a four in the model name!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Arrow

what do you think of the jbl l7s

Depends on how you drive them!

I just love [the sound] of my L7's, and yes power does make a huge difference. Once again, you can't buy one good 15" 2235 for that price!

Once again, not furniture quality speakers, but it is all about the smiles from the sound right?

Quote Originally Posted by gferrell View Post
    Depends on how you drive them!
    Yes, it does. But even with just one 200-WPC Crown PS400 they make a fine inexpensive system!

I know the guideline for budget on a cello bow is 50% of the cost of the instrument. I'm right in line with that ratio on my L7s and my Crown.

i noticed if you sit too close(say 10 feet ) , you wont hear music blend well, and you wont hear the highs well.....if your back further ( in a larger room) it blends and sounds perfect

Thread Information