Thread: Mobile JBL almost ready...

RIP 2009

Mobile JBL almost ready...

Time to take a break from working on the inside JBL stuff and play around with the JBL mobile audio for a bit.

I've been collecting JBL car audio components to go into a '96 T-Bird and finally have all the stuff. To be sure, it won't be studio quality, but I'm hoping for pretty good car stereo. I've attached a few pics showing the dry-run setup, (powered by cables run to the car battery in this setup). All the stuff is new, but I still wanted to hook everything up to be sure I've got everything straight before installing it. Little cube speakers made when I worked at Hard Truckers are temporarily hooked up, as is a 12" JBL for a test sub. (Even these actually sounded pretty good.)

The amps are JBL P180.2 and P80.4, which give me 360 watts rms for the 10" JBL W10GTI and 40 watts for each of the four 5"x7" JBLs I've got ready, (hopefully I'll be able to get some of those outrageous new JBL 6.5" components someday). And I was able to track down a still new JBL GTE422 EQ, with 22 bands on the 1/2 octave when configured for stereo! Both amps have hi/lo pass crossover adjustable 50-320 hz. The head unit is just a cheap JVC until I decide on a permanent one. Suggestions anyone? I've heard good things about Alpine. And XM capability would be nice!

That W10GTI is a differential-drive, has an Xmax of 17.78 mm, and is essentially flat to below 30 hz in a 1.75 cu.ft. ported box! All I have yet to do is build the sub box and install the stuff in the car.

Anyway, 'just wanted to show what I've been throwing together for fun. The big stuff inside is still my true love, but hey, we all have to have some outside fun too... BTW, that Lincoln in the background came with a factory JBL Premium system, and is still the best factory audio I've heard to date!

John

Dood...

DOOD!!! How much time do you spend in your car...?

Man, I commute 50 miles each way everyday, and I can't get off of AM traffic...

Wow!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Michael
    Mate concider some splits if you ever want to upgrade, I'm not sure if JBL make any though.

What awg power wiring are you running to the amps? And you'd know of all the reccomended fusing/grounding techniques wouldn't you?

Let me know if your unsure of anything, car audio is another one of my hobbies.

Nice sub btw!

Mike

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by boputnam
    DOOD!!! How much time do you spend in your car...?
    The T-Bird is actually more of a hobby car for me - the Lincoln is my main driver. And by watching closely on eBay I was able to get all that stuff new for less than 1/3 retail!

John

RIP 2009
    Originally posted by Michael
    Mate concider some splits if you ever want to upgrade, I'm not sure if JBL make any though.

What awg power wiring are you running to the amps? And you'd know of all the reccomended fusing/grounding techniques wouldn't you?

Let me know if your unsure of anything, car audio is another one of my hobbies.

Nice sub btw!

Mike
    Splits? That's a new one on me. If you mean split component speakers, JBL does make some incredibly high-end stuff for cars, but it's more than I want to spend right now.

I'm running the amps on 10 awg. I know some people run 4 awg or less, but this really isn't that high-power. The only other thing I've thought about is a cap, but I'll wait to see how much I need one...

John

Michael
    Ah yes, I meant split components.

10awg? That may be abit low, 10awg typically handles 30Amps. You should find the total of the fuses on all amps and then allow for a tad more, thats just a rule of thumb. And try to fuse the power cable within 18" of the battery, you may also want to upgrade your main earths and alternator wiring.

I wouldn't really bother with a cap though, they've been tested hundreds of times, and really they have no effect. Sure they'd work with 100 or so farads on tap but the 1 farad ones available now you'll find are really only about 0.7 farad.

They can however help to stop your headlights from dimming when the amps are drawing alot of current. But if thats what you want to fix you might aswell wire the cap in with the headlights. Lol

Thought about deadening the front doors?

Good luck with your system, keep us updated

Thread Information