Thread: original owner L300s for sale soon; more desirable refoamed or not?

original owner L300s for sale soon; more desirable refoamed or not?

I have a pair of L300 Summit loudspeakers my father-in-law gave me. He bought them brand new, as he recalls, in 1976. They are 100% original, dusty but in good shape, of course w/ completely wasted woofer foam. My personal tragedy is that I have never listened to these speakers, and I'm about 100% sure I need to sell them. I know...

I have the skill to refoam the woofers, but I'm wondering what my return on that investment will be. Should I refoam them or let the new owner do it?
    In what condition will they fetch more money?
    Thanks.

I can't say for sure, but I do know that some people prefer to do the refoam themselves because they have feelings on how best to do it.

However, as long as you install the foam on the rear of the cone the OEM JBL way, and use the Rick Cobb kits which are the near-universally accepted "best" kits for JBL stuff, I can't see how you could harm the value.

Good luck.

Well, FIL issues aside, if you don't know how to do a proper refoam job, leave them be or have them done by someone that knows what they're doing and will guarantee their work.

Have professionally done.

Most people prefer to have them done Professionally or they would like to do it themselves.Sell as Is. Do you have some pics you can post Regards !!
    "James B. Lansing" = Lansing Manufacturing ~ Altec Lansing ~ JBL

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    I have a pair of L300 Summit loudspeakers my father-in-law gave me. He bought them brand new, as he recalls, in 1976. They are 100% original, dusty but in good shape, of course w/ completely wasted woofer foam. My personal tragedy is that I have never listened to these speakers, and I'm about 100% sure I need to sell them. I know...

I have the skill to refoam the woofers, but I'm wondering what my return on that investment will be. Should I refoam them or let the new owner do it?
    In what condition will they fetch more money?
    Thanks.
    if you get a chance, can you post the serial numbers? I have 10252 and 10254, haven't seen any earlier....just curious.

Re-cone, not Re-foam.

Let the buyer do it! The ones that will pay the most are the ones who are familiar with the speaker and desire them and will probably want to handle the recone or refoam themselves. I regret selling mine!!!

Thread Information