Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What best amp to drive Everest DD55000

What best amp to drive Everest DD55000

I'm a french owner of a pair of JBL EVEREST DD55000.
    I'm driving my DD5000 since 3 years now with a tube amp, Mcintosh MC225 with good pleasure until now. Nevertheless, some JBL french addicts are claiming that I could achieve better results with solid state amps (good quality ones!). I made several tries in the past with Mc (such as MC2255, 7270) but also Onkyo M577 or Parasound 2200 mkII but I always came back to the MC225 as for the great mid and highs, the breathability and the scene.
    I need to admit that I would sometimes appreciate to get stronger and better filled bass/medium but don"t want to loose the quality of the highs coming from the 225.
    Some suggested Krell KSA... but prices and warmth are making me relunctant.
    My room is a dedicated one with only 16 sq/m.
    Any ideas, suggestions and experiences would help me a lot.

What might you easily try of local flavor? Atoll AM100?

McIntosh MC-275

The McIntosh 225 is not going to give you the bass that you appear to desire. So, move onto a McIntosh MC-275 and you will be done. If you want more power (with the sonic difference) then consider a McIntosh MC-2102, using KT88 tubes. http://www.stereophile.com/tubepoweramps/704mac/ You could try to search for a long time for 2 mono-block MC-75s and you will find a pair of MC-60s (which are quite good). I love MC-60s, but your best bet will be the McIntosch MC-275. Of the tube amps I've heard of that actually deliver in clean bass, along with the usual great mids and highs are: McIntosh MC-60s, McIntosh MC-75s, McIntosh MC-275 and oddly enough... the Fisher 500C tube receiver does a good job. (But, at 35 wpc, the Fisher 500C may be anemic for your speakers. http://stereophile.com/historical/605fisher/)

Trying a McIntosh 2255 is okay from one school of thought, but another school of thought opines the 2300 and 2205 as being more musical. This comes down to opinions. I do not have comment for your other attempts, because I have not personally heard those. However, of the solid state McIntosh gear, I prefer the 2205 which cause speakers to seem more "alive!" and one does hear "everything".

Your room is somewhat small for what you are running, but you will hear an improved difference with the recommendations. Cheers!

Mc275

Which versions of the 275?? the "old" vintage MC275? or the recent MK versions? as sonically, they sound quite different.
    Regarding the MC60's, I tried them but sold them as I was not fully happy with the whole balance VS the 225. The point was that those MC60's had been completely recapped by Audio Classics (very well, but recapped) and sonically I was not convinced.
    At least, good to hear that some are like me, convinced that tube amps can match with Everest !

Atoll AM100

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    What might you easily try of local flavor? Atoll AM100?
    Good to hear...

I have to say that I even did not think about this brand...

The MC 275 for you will depend upon you

Quote Originally Posted by jfrou View Post
    Which versions of the 275?? the "old" vintage MC275? or the recent MK versions? as sonically, they sound quite different.
    Regarding the MC60's, I tried them but sold them as I was not fully happy with the whole balance VS the 225. The point was that those MC60's had been completely recapped by Audio Classics (very well, but recapped) and sonically I was not convinced.
    At least, good to hear that some are like me, convinced that tube amps can match with Everest !
    I have heard the classic 1960s version, but have not heard the new re-issue. I've heard different opinions of the two which compels me to say that it will depend upon you. Old 275s were driving old JBL horns and woofers quite well, and I've heard them with later made JBL studio monitors - very good! You had an interesting experience with the 60s that is regrettable, possibly a bad tube. The 225 has a following for its sweetness. You may wish to ask JBL and McIntosh - and it would be interesting to hear what they suggest. Good luck!

McIntosh

While I'm sure McIntosh makes some fine amps, there are many other brands that sound as good or better. As your friend suggests, you may be doing yourself a favor by looking into some modern solid state amps. Personally, I like the big Krells. And my KSA-300s does not run hot at all. In fact it barely gets warm. With something like that, or the Krell FPB series, or one of the large Mark Levinson amps or Halcro amps.... I think you'll be surprised at how they can open up your Everests.

Mctwins
    Hi
    Mono MC275 is a better alternative than one MC275 for your speakers.

The best way is to run them in bi-amp mode, one MC275 for the top and solid for the bottom and a active crossover. Then you have the best of two world.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hi
    Mono MC275 is a better alternative than one MC275 for your speakers.

The best way is to run them in bi-amp mode, one MC275 for the top and solid for the bottom and a active crossover. Then you have the best of two world.

Thanks
    the DD55000 are not built to be bi-ampliefed

I used a McIntosh MC402 (solid state) with JBL S/2600 "mini-everest' with great sucess.

Mctwins
    Hi
    Ok, didin't know that. I just read the specs for the DD55000.

According to the specs the recommended amp power is 250W, the the MC252 is a great choice, if you want solid. I have great result both with my MC275 and MC252.
    Good luck in your search.
    Thanks

Well since your in France how about YBA. They make some great gear although I don't know how well they would work with your JBLs.

i highly suggest you try a good class A amp. i power mine with an Aleph 5 from nelson pass. i tried several tube amps i own, but they sounded best with the aleph. I bought an Aleph 3 and moved up to the 5. try it, you will be glad you did. i use the aleph P as the pre amp.

regards,

I am very pleased with Nelson Pass constructions on JBL. So you could look at First Watt F5 and J2(the F5 is tighter in the bass and more forward in the mid/hf). They are only 25wpc, so an alternative if you are looking for more power are e.g. PassLabs XA160.

The older Aleph's rj2077 mentioned are very much worth trying.
    Johnny Haugen Sørgård

for 250 tube WPC - Manley Neo-Classic 250

If you have $9,000 U.S., you may want to audition a pair of Manley Neo-Classic 250s. You have some very good suggestions. Now it comes to your ears and wallet. Good luck!

Thread Information