Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sig-nif of your Screen Name ???

As for me, I never took the brain boost so all of my efforts on this planet have amounted to nothing.

But I am not ready to turn the collar and push the lever down just yet.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I should apologize to Seawolf, .
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    My apologies to Seawolf too -
    Seawolf is cool with where ever you want to go , t'aint no big deal....

(except for cats/skin disorders ...go elsewhere for that)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Cats? OH, speaking of cats....

ha ha, just kidding.

Hey Ducatista - well at least you don't have to live with tearing anybody limb from limb!

Did you notice the scene in Aliens when the Alien Queen did that to Bishop? I bet the director got the idea from FP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    if there ever was a subject worthy of taking an off topic thread off topic, it is Forbidden Planet.
    never seen it, but you guys got me curious, started up a d/l before my bike trip today, it s/b here soon.

others are free to join this discussion or carry on with the original subject - the silly one about names - their origin and variations...
    s
    actually I've learned quite a bit about the people that I've conversed with for a couple of years. Useful for me at least...

>>kinda what a philologist does with language

mebbe a philologist isn't the correct word. ?

"Today, philology is no longer concerned with literary interpretation. Rather, it is concerned with deciphering texts and with understanding language through texts — not understanding literary texts through language. A philologist may work with little understood languages that are no longer spoken, for example when a textual record is all that is known of the language."

Never could stay awake in English class....but then after quatro anos de la lengua Espanola , I passed the Navys foreign language test (2 percent pass rate) and learned my 3rd at a Dept of Defense school....can still mangle all 3 with ease. Started on Japanese, but didnt get far...4 was too much...

qualified for OCS too , but 4 years was long enough commitment for a 19 y.o.

LATER EDIT: Just finished "Forbidden Planet" .....Leslie Neilson ?? Shud have been called "Naked Planet" , ......at least I now know where Krell amps originated... I kept waiting for the reveal that Ann Francis was an android..never came..

Forbiden planet!!!!

Heck with my name - my avatar is more important. I should start a thread on the music(so-called) associated with it - my fav all time movie (and now supposedly being remade) - anyone guess?

OK, OK, the name has to do with things that make loud noises - another interest of mine.
    This was my Star Wars when I was kid, the saw it 3 times! I was 11 in 1956 when this movie came out!

My name came from a denim jacket I had when I was 14 years old. Nickname stuck with me throughout the years.
    Basement: JBL SVA-1800 and 2226H DIY Enclosures Computer room: Control-5:Control SB-2 Living room: JBL 240ti

QUOTE: LATER EDIT: Just finished "Forbidden Planet" .....Leslie Neilson ?? Shud have been called "Naked Planet" , ......at least I now know where Krell amps originated... I kept waiting for the reveal that Ann Baxter was an android..never came..

It's actually Anne Francis (not Baxter) - http://www.annefrancis.net/. a real cool LADY!

Yes, founders of Krell, Inc. took their company name from the film. I tried to get them interested in a speaker design I had which would also relate to images from the film but no go . Another great idea of mine* that's gone nowhere !!!

MGM hit the ball out of the park with this ground breaking film. For the first time (IMO) enough money was spent, an intelligent story was crafted, and literate science fiction was brought to the big screen for one of the earliest times ever. Hollywood still struggles to this day to do the same. Efforts to remake this classic have been underway for some time. I have a great remake in mind, but getting it to the right directors hands has been futile .

Life is so good...

not!

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    This was my Star Wars when I was kid, the saw it 3 times! I was 11 in 1956 when this movie came out!
    Yesterday was the first time I've seen it ....Didnt go to the movies much as a kid, lived on the beach (Carpenteria) ,,,,Surf movies in my teens..Always liked Bruce Browns humor.

My Star Wars was Apocalypse Now.
    (And now we know that StarWars's story was ApocNow , in a different place & time)

http://metaphorical.wordpress.com/20...pocalypse-now/

Walter Murch and the Art of Editing Film,

Murch talks about his film and/or sound editing on such pictures as The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, Apocalypse Redux, American Graffiti, THX 1138, and The English Patient, through which he and Ondaatje met. The “John” in the passage below refers to John Milius, who wrote the original Apocalypse Now screenplay.
    Originally George Lucas was going to direct [Apocalypse Now], so it was a project that George and John developed for Zoetrope. That was back in 1969. Then when Warner Bros. cancelled the financing for Zoetrope, the project was abandoned for a while. After the success of American Graffiti in 1973, George wanted to revive it, but it was still too hot a topic, the war was still on, and nobody wanted to finance something like that. So George considered his options: What did he really want to say in Apocalypse Now? The message boiled down to the ability of a small group of people to defeat a gigantic power simply by the force of their convictions. And he decided, All right, if it’s politically too hot as a contemporary subject, I’ll put the essence of the story in outer space and make it happen in a galaxy long ago and far away. The rebel group were the North Vietnamese, and the Empire was the United States. And if you have the force, no matter how small you are, you can defeat the overwhelmingly big power. Star Wars is George’s transubstantiated version of Apocalypse Now."
    The Conversations, p.70

Harrison Ford's role is AN as Colonel Lucas is a nod to George Lucas
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Pretty self explanatory.....liked JBL's from the very first L112's I ever heard (not easy to hear or find in New England in the early 80's mind you) and just seemed to develop a nutty obsession with finding and hearing (and buying) ever better models.

I've stopped at the 250TI...trying not to get near any big 43x or 44x Studio models, or anything new and horn-based. Too dangerous

jblnut

OK, OK, the name has to do with things that make loud noises - another interest of mine.
    sonofagun...do you know the origin of your name? Goes back to a passion of mine...

"I am so Krunchy the Clown"

I did not give it much thought at the time obviously, must have probably just seen the Simpsons episode where Barney Gumble is impersonating Crusty the Clown at Camp Crusty (the real Crusty had other more important matters to attend to). In true Barney fashion he had consumed too many Duffs to put in a convincing performance and the kids knew there was something "funny"
    (but not Ha Ha funny) with "Crusty". Good episode, still one of my favorite shows to this day.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Akira View Post
    sonofagun...do you know the origin of your name? Goes back to a passion of mine...
    First site I ever registered with had to do with "things that go bang" so the name "popped" into my head and it's stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    I the Simpsons , still one of my favorite shows to this day.
    You know Matt Groening is a Portland native...and Will Vinton has his studio here too.

Did not know that, but it does explain a lot So not only are there tons of JBLs stashed all over the state, are incredibly progressive and now Matt Groening too, thats almost too much to bear, not to mention the fact that Oregon is one of the most beautiful states.
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Did not know that, but it does explain a lot So not only are there tons of JBLs stashed all over the state, are incredibly progressive and now Matt Groening too, thats almost too much to bear, not to mention the fact that Oregon is one of the most beautiful states.
    well, yes , but it would be nice to see sun more than 1 day a week in June ...Oregon..yup we'ze a little different.

no sales tax
    rain
    no pumping your own gas
    the only doctor assisted suicide state (the Catholic church calls Oregon "an aberration")
    rain
    a gay mayor
    major biking center
    rain
    a haven for runaway Californians
    rain
    lots of JBLs
    many NBA players retire here after playing here
    rain
    huge Intel & Nike presence here
    oh, and did I mention rain ?

(its raining today..and I'd rather be vinyl hunting on bike)

Thread Information