Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good, solid JBL 6 1/2" woofer?

Good, solid JBL 6 1/2" woofer?

Greetings, All,

About 30 years ago, I build my first sub/sat system, using Peerless components. It sounded really good, "for back then". I no longer use the subwoofer but we have enjoyed those little 2-way satellite speakers in our work studio ever since I first made them. I had the little 6 1/2" woofers refoamed at OCS, about 15 years ago, and they continued to work nicely. But, now, those woofers are beginning to show their age, and I'd really like to redo that system with JBL components. Looking on "the 'bay", I found JBL 6 1/2" 706G1 woofers, supposedly used in L5 and L7 systems, and they look to be in good condition. What do you think about those little woofs? How would they work in a small, 16"x 8 3/8"x 8 1/2" sealed enclosure? This system is not played at high volume, but rather at a low to moderate volume, so we can enjoy music whilst we work everyday. I'd match it to a JBL HF tweet, possibly the 052ti, or the 035ti.

I'd appreciate any comments, or suggestions, that you can share about this woofer, and how it would work with the HF units I mentioned. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Obsolete
    There is virtually nothing you can build in that size that will even come close to the performance of the LSR305.

Hard to even argue for L1's (which I have a soft spot for... even more so
    as my youngest has absconded with them ) vs the LSR's.

New tech, sound pretty darn good (TiDome had a pair playing at his house
    last event), no amp required [although an outlet is], and for $300/pr,
    the DIY parts and time could add up to that pretty quickly.

I like the 115H / 115H-1 variants. Not really much different from the 706G. But I think they're all meant for a ported box.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    There is virtually nothing you can build in that size that will even come close to the performance of the LSR305.

LSR 705i ? its even smaller and a lot more cash plus the amp

yes it dificult to beat the LSR 305 price /benefit

Good Morning, All,

I thank you for your interesting comments and your suggestion. It appears that putting my money into a new pair of LSR305's just might be a better financial move, and at the same time, offer something far better than I can create by dropping new woofers and tweeters into the enclosure I already have, and making a new crossover. Hummmm..... Sentimentality does play a large role in my first ideas on this, but function may well over-ride form if I go with the 305's. I'll let this simmer a bit, and see how it looks to me a bit later. In the meantime, I still have plenty of JBL fun on the ever moving horizon, and that will keep me busy, too. Thanks, again, Guys. You have told me exactly what I needed to hear! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Mark View Post
    Hummmm..... Sentimentality does play a large role in my first ideas on this
    Understood

wondered about that...

perhaps something -like- this to keep the memories alive (box volume?):

http://www.parts-express.com/visaton...8-ohm--292-599

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    If you want to use an external amp, I'd recommend the Studio 530. Damned good sounding bookshelf, and it's hard to find anyone that says much bad about them.

http://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUD...=Black#start=1

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    I like the 115H / 115H-1 variants. Not really much different from the 706G. But I think they're all meant for a ported box.
    Here is a close mic comparison, in sealed 4406 boxes (can't remember if it was with or without the passive crossover tho...).
    The 706G is a 4 ohms driver, so it gets a natural 3dB boost in sensitivity, as can be seen down low.
    The mass breakpoint frequency is roughly an octave lower than the 115H (ie heavier cone or/and weaker motor).

The poly cone of that 115H clearly has breakup problems right in its passband...

Name:  706G vs 115H.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  67.6 KB

I was intrigued by the discussion and lord knows I don't have enough JBLs already. I knew I wasn't going to be a customer for a pair of M2s anytime soon, but to share a bit of the technology in a pair of powered monitors for $250, brand new? I figured I'd drop a dime and give them a listen. Found them new from a dealer including shipping for $125 each. Should be here by the end of the week. More fun for my spare time.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Got the LSR305s yesterday. Well packed in triple boxes. They're very solid and appear well made despite whatever you might think of Chinese products. They sound great. A bit of a challenge to hook them up to compare them to others as I have plenty of long speaker leads but I'm short interconnects that long and don't have a source with XLR output handy to try. I'll have to use sex-changer barrel connectors and chain a couple of RCAs together. Just to try them out I put them on a table in the living room with the 4345s and gave them a dose of iPod Classic lossless files. Very impressive for their size. I can imagine these would make a killer computer desktop setup. More later when I can get them setup next to the Pro-III Plus setup and the Andrew Jones Pioneers for comparison.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Obsolete
    Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Very impressive for their size. I can imagine these would make a killer computer desktop setup.
    They replaced my Tannoy DC6's for half the price. The Tannoys are sitting on a shelf doing nothing.

Cool! They replaced my Tannoy DC6's for half the price. The Tannoys are sitting on a shelf doing nothing.
    Well, I cobbled together an A—B system. I have three pairs connected. The LSR305s are running direct from a Crown PSL2 to their internal amps. The signal comes from the tape out from another Crown SL2 originating from my TEAC CD-P650-B with USB input so I can play the same CD or iPod lossless file and send it to each speaker pair. Connected to the SL2 is a Crown Power-Line-Three to which I've connected the JBL Pro-III Plus system (small boxes with a separate passive sub which incorporates a crossover), and a Crown PS-400 connected to a pair of 4412As. I can switch between the LSRs and one of the other two at the flip of a switch but I have to work a bit to switch between the 4412A and Pro-IIIs so it takes a second longer and I can't really balance the volume . . . close enough for this comparo with 20-minutes of setup time in a tiny room full of probably ten pair of other speakers. Well, let's count: L1, L3, L5, L7 (x2), L96, L80T/3, 250ti, and some Infinity and the Andrew Young Pioneers.

So I started out with a CD I've been spinning, Hod O'Brien's Jazz Quartet "Hod & Cole" a collection of some rare (to me) Cole Porter tunes done by local Jazz keyboardist Hod O'Brien in 1992 with memorable folks like Tony Purrone on guitar. I had been running the LSRs downstairs with the treble boost on (+2dB) but put it to flat to match the other two in the upstairs room. I did give the LSRs the benefit of boosting the bass response +2 to compete with the small sub in the Pro-IIIs and the 128H-1 in the 4412As. Now none of these are optimally placed. The 4412s aren't very well separated but they are on top of the L3s to get them off the ground, and they're vertical, not the optimal horizontal they like. The Pro-III small boxes are on top of an L7 and one still-in-box 250ti. The LSRs are on top of the other (still in box) 250ti and a table. They're not even at the same height and because of wiring constraints they're about 5-feet apart, like the Pro-III.

So, after all that explanation, how do they sound? I've said before how impressed I was with my $60 Pro-IIIs with Crown power, and I still like them a whole lot. Their response, in this room, is very balanced/even and the little (8-inch) passive sub does a pretty nice job. Well the LSRs really give up very little on the bottom end but the imaging with the M2-style wave guides is just stunningly awesome. The soundstage they create in the crappy position I have them in is just unbelievable, or actually very believable.

They don't really give up a whole lot to the 4412As, either and they're actually so well balanced across the spectrum that they seem to be easier to listen to over a long period of time. I suppose that's a very desirable attribute in a near-field professional monitor!

I ran them with the volume controls up full and the Crowns on the others throttled back to about half and the volume level settings on both pre-amps were pretty close at equal volume. I wasn't looking for an instrumented comparison but I think unless you really want to overdrive these little guys, the 80-watt active amps should do just fine. Remember they're near-field monitors never expected to provide room-filling sound in a large space.

Next I switched to some Stan Getz with Cal Tjader off a JVC XRCD and the little horns did a fantastic job on the real horn as well as capturing the vibe of the vibes. Again, the sound stage was dead-on with a wide image and decent depth, and it remained stable as I moved well off-axis. The M2 design genes in these little boxes are obvious and make me crave to hear the M2 some day. So the next CD is done and I haven't really had any need to A—B the JBL pairs, settling in to just listen to the LSRs.

I've stumbled onto quite a few killer deals on older JBLs. I like to buy just about anything I find at or under $200. That has included L1, L3, L5, L7, 4412A, L80T, L96, etc. I busted the toy budget on the LSRs but I can't really see how you'd find anything nicer brand-new-in-boxes (and powered) for anywhere near the $125 (each, shipping included) these little guys cost me. All monetary consideration aside, these are just great sounding little speakers that happen to say "JBL Professional" on their little badges.

Awesome! (I hope the amps hold up over time)

Enjoying listening to them for extended sessions says a lot.
    ... appreciate you sharing your experiment

Thread Information