Thread: Speaker stand and cable ends for 4430

Speaker stand and cable ends for 4430

hi,
    I am a newbie and currently trying to setup a pair of 4430.

I am wondering what's the recommendation for a speaker stand options to support a pair of 4430? I.e., I have never heard a 'matching stand' from JBL pro.

Speaker cable termination on the 4430 appears to be designed for bare wire and can't take any banana or spade plugs, any recommended method to terminate the speaker cable properly?

Thanks for all recommendations.

Hello, I too own a pair of 4430 Monitors, and I'm sure there's lots of us 4430 brothers here. I know offhand quickly, Zilch as well is another 4430 owner.

I imagine anything could be done if desired, and you wish to spend the money to do this. With my own speakers, all I did was buy eight cherry picked 12"x12" square plain Red Concrete Tiles from Home Depot, washed them, set them in a square pattern on the floor, using four tiles for each speaker to equate to 24"x24" square Base, and then placed the Speakers upon them. when I got the speakers, they did not have any Glides on the bottom Skirt, so, I also bought eight 3/4" diameter Glides, (with the nail) measured where I wanted them, and pounded them in to the bottom-underside of the Skirt.

The options I suppose could be limitless, one could even put cones, but the one thing is, this isn't exactly an easy speaker to deal with, lugging around, at 127 lbs each! It's definitely a "one man hernia maker".

One could make a taller "Skirt", that the Speaker's existing Skirt could slip down into. Let's say as an example, 3/4 " thick Plywood Sheet, 8" to 10" tall, (or whatever height you choose) internally braced at its bottom. Provided construction is good, I see no problem, and the weight of the speaker will certainly keep all coupled up firmly without the need of screwing this Skirt to the Speaker. Mark

I had a problem with my previous post, writing more (odd why i couldn't?) so I'll continue again here.

Most will probably tell you, and I agree as well, that the dispersion of the Horn on this Speaker is so good, it is really unnecessary to adjust the height so the Horn is exactly at ear level when listening.

As for the Binding Posts, Yes, that's a downside, they won't take Bananas, or Spades. I decided to not modify mine from bone stock, worrying that I might detract from their value down the road.

But they will accept up to 10 ga Copper Cable no prob, and that's what I'm using, 10ga Belden "10 White" from Blue Jeans Cable. While the Push Pins can be bettered, most will agree no connector is the best connector of all in this situation. Maybe once a year, to deter any oxidation of the cable, cut an inch off, strip, and re-insert, and you're good to go again. Mark

Name:  DSCF0435.jpg
Views: 2507
Size:  105.5 KB

Here's a little better picture so you can see what I've done.

Others may have better ideas? A solid 24"x24" Concrete Paver might have been a better choice, was what I originally searched for, but they are virtually impossible to find, and the weight would've been ridiculous as well. I like the idea that the paver base prevents a vacuum cleaner from slamming into the speakers when vacuuming, and sort of gives them a protective boundary. Mark

I also see that you placed the 4430 quite close to the rear wall.

What's the best positioning tips, on most speaker I typically place them 3-4 feet away from wall where space allows, in the current situation, placing it close to the back wall may be the only way.

Also, would the 'control pot' be on the inner or outer side of the speaker placement? Would that affect anything given that the wide dispersion of the bi-radial horn, I would imagine it wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by busyx2 View Post
    I also see that you placed the 4430 quite close to the rear wall.

What's the best positioning tips, on most speaker I typically place them 3-4 feet away from wall where space allows, in the current situation, placing it close to the back wall may be the only way.

Also, would the 'control pot' be on the inner or outer side of the speaker placement? Would that affect anything given that the wide dispersion of the bi-radial horn, I would imagine it wouldn't matter.
    You are correct about my speaker placement being very far from optimal. My domicile is far from being audio friendly, and even got stuck having to place the system, and soundfield from the short width of the room.

I've already pretty much comandeered the entire living room with the audio, and a large drumset. It leaves little room for much else. My system is no doubt "tremendious overkill" for the size of my room!

Being such a great speaker though, i could probably enjoy them if I had them in my bathroom.
    Often, I've seen many Japanese systems like this, with even larger speaker systems, like the 4350, and such. They too have little choice, and I reckon that's where the comical term "Japanese Bookshelf Speakers" comes from.

As for which way on how the speakers should be mirrored, (L-Pads to the inside, or outside) that's a good question, and I personally am unsure if it makes much difference? Perhaps others can comment which way they found was better for them. I would assume side walls and how close the cabinets are to them may play some influence with sonic reflections.

thanks for the info

I wondered whether 10 gauge would fit. Is that bare wire or sleeved/tinned?

Quote Originally Posted by moparfan View Post
    I wondered whether 10 gauge would fit. Is that bare wire or sleeved/tinned?
    Yes, 10ga bare wire (untinned) will fit perfectly. Many people again feel tinning (even with solder like WBT-Cardas) will compromise the connection, saying bare is still the best. Mark

My 4430s are right here in my office, with the pots 'n' ports to the inside like Mark's. They could just as easily be placed to the outside. The difference? Approximately two feet center-to-center on how wide your front soundstage is. Pick what's better in your room.

I have no stands and no plans for stands, but remember, these monitors could have been placed in many positions in original applications. They could be on the floor, on stands, "on" the console, in the walls, soffit mounted, hanging on chains from the ceiling. The best bet is to optimize them for your room and preferences.

Edit: FYI, My office is quite large, so I augment the LF with a B380 and BX63A.
    Last edited by Titanium Dome; 06-07-2010 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added info
    Out.

Thread Information