Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL Array 1400 vs Cinema speakers (3731)

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by andywin View Post
    The center of the horn on my Array 1400's is 95cm from the floor and 225cm from the ceiling. Either you live in a dolls house ore you are confusing the cinema Arrays with those that hang above the stage at rock concerts.
    As matter of fact I do live in dolls-house that is called home.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The 3731 will not go very low (the 2226H is not meant for VLF), and not very high either (the 2432H is a new compression driver, but if it is similar to a 2431 with a titanium diaphragme it will have difficulties above 10Hz). The vertical coverage is also a problem: the sources are so distant than the sound field will be bloated at short distances (and even quite far away in a normal room, because of the reflections on the ceiling and ground).
    Adding there might be a “null” where one or few frequencies will dip right down where one can’t hear it one side of the sofa where the other listen can and less in another part of the frequency.

Hey it’s not the end of the world…yet.

One for cooky

[IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by andywin View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Andy, you are a good'un thanks.
    Cooky

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    The 3731 will not go very low (the 2226H is not meant for VLF), and not very high either (the 2432H is a new compression driver, but if it is similar to a 2431 with a titanium diaphragme it will have difficulties above 10Hz). The vertical coverage is also a problem: the sources are so distant than the sound field will be bloated at short distances (and even quite far away in a normal room, because of the reflections on the ceiling and ground).

You will have much more dynamic and maxium SPL capabilities (except at VLF), but you will likely not see much difference compared to an array 1400 in normal hifi situations.

For HIFI or HT use at home I think the downsides far much exceed any advantage you could get from this extra SPL capability.
    If price is the main argument and you insist on SPL, then maybe you should look for some SRX738.
    Funny you should mention the SRX738. I have already been reading a lot about them, and the midrange compression driver seems really interesting! The price is almost the same as the JBL 3731 though.

I believe I created a thread once asking if people had any experience with the SRX738 for HT/Hifi, but didn't get much response. Have you heard the speaker yourself? How would you say they would do better in a HT-setup compared to the JBL 3731?

Thread Information