Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old 50's JBL Find, Did these even have an Model #?

Old 50's JBL Find, Did these even have an Model #?

I removed part of the Back panel hoping to identify the drivers, the HF is an 175, and not yet sure about the LF driver, it looks to be an D130, 130A, or perhaps an 150??? Any feedback would be GREATLY Appreciated!!
    Someone had built an ugly Cabinet around this Pair, I had to remove it, and the original cabs are not in the greatest of shape but the Speakers Sound Absolutely FANTASTIC!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Looks like and early version of a C40 rearloading horn.

There are some differences between this and the later production models I first saw in the early 1960s.

That would be a "Harkness" it's not homemade either.

JBL never supplied the badges for homemade cabinets, so that's the first clue. The Speaker
    is a D130. Possibly the original owner started with a D130 & added the 175 later on. JBL advertised this as a practical way to improve your system as you went & presumably saved up for more stuff.

You have 2 of these? It is nicely built out of plywood & not crumbly MDF like the later ones. I suspect that it was made in the mid 50's.

A nice find for sure. I assume the original owner is departed.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    There are some differences between this and the later production models I first saw in the early 1960s.
    So when do you think this was produced, Mid 50's?? Any idea what model that woofer is, I just attached an Pic of the front in this reply?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    JBL never supplied the badges for homemade cabinets, so that's the first clue. The Speaker
    is a D130. Possibly the original owner started with a D130 & added the 175 later on. JBL advertised this as a practical way to improve your system as you went & presumably saved up for more stuff.

You have 2 of these? It is nicely built out of plywood & not crumbly MDF like the later ones. I suspect that it was made in the mid 50's.

A nice find for sure. I assume the original owner is departed.
    Yes, I have the Pair and they Do Sound Quite Good! Sadly I do not have room for them, My Sovereign S8R's take up all of my available space. Just trying to decide if I should Sell them like they are, or Part out.

Woofer is a D130

Woofer is a D130. A pretty common item. With a 130A those go for pretty good money on EBAY.

Your pictures show the back of a blue 175, am I right? If so, that suggests they were added in the mid/late 60's. Blue 175's are rare. I would think that if you are a good woodworker, you could repair/refinish the enclosures and find a set of the (also rare) legs and you'd have a great set of speakers! Unfortunately, they wouldn't be worth more than the parts, IMO. I'll bet you'd get $800 for the 175's/lenses, $300 for the woofers, $300 for the crossovers, but don't hold me to those numbers as I don't specialize in what you've got. You may also get $200-300 for the enclosures. If you choose to rebuild them, I'll bet it would cost $400 for a set of the "Eames Era" legs, and when you're done, the speakers would sell for $2k. I'd probably call it more a labor of love than an exercise in fiscal responsibility...

Quote Originally Posted by HCSGuy View Post
    Your pictures show the back of a blue 175, am I right? If so, that suggests they were added in the mid/late 60's. Blue 175's are rare. I would think that if you are a good woodworker, you could repair/refinish the enclosures and find a set of the (also rare) legs and you'd have a great set of speakers! Unfortunately, they wouldn't be worth more than the parts, IMO. I'll bet you'd get $800 for the 175's/lenses, $300 for the woofers, $300 for the crossovers, but don't hold me to those numbers as I don't specialize in what you've got. You may also get $200-300 for the enclosures. If you choose to rebuild them, I'll bet it would cost $400 for a set of the "Eames Era" legs, and when you're done, the speakers would sell for $2k. I'd probably call it more a labor of love than an exercise in fiscal responsibility...
    lol, They do sound good enough to Justify an "Labor of Love" but as I said before I have already found my Soulmate...the Sovereign S8R's so I think I will Post them over on The Marketplace now tthat I know more about them.

Yes with this pic a C40 Harkness!!

Quote Originally Posted by Choatpadda View Post
    So when do you think this was produced, Mid 50's?? Any idea what model that woofer is, I just attached an Pic of the front in this reply?
    I made two of these in the mid 1960s, I never have seen one this old, my LE175 are mid 1960 and black. I have only see blue JBLs in pictures fro the 1950s

Blue?

Is it blue or just the way it's lit?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Is it blue or just the way it's lit?
    Here is an better Photo, It actually is a light shade of blue

Not that it matters to me, but for those for which it does, the "blue finish" that seems
    to carry some magic cachet is fairly dark, not light blue-ish gray.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post121426

Alright, they're JBL Grey. They should go for $599/pr, approx. Blue would be rare! I don't think I've ever seen a pair of 175's in Blue...

Ahh, Timely post for me

I posted this on AK Friday, the concensus was not absolute. I found this on C/L, the add was for an Sherwood mono tube amp and unknown speaker. I was a little confused to weather or not this is a JBL cab because every thing I have seen indicates a 1-piece back up untill now. I was thinking mid to late 50's

Unfortunately there was only one available, I have it set-up in the garage right now. It sounds perfectly lovely, fills the whole yard with music.

So the question at hand, JBL cabinet or knock-off ??

This looks like home made C43.

Quote Originally Posted by perchdog View Post
    I posted this on AK Friday, the concensus was not absolute. I found this on C/L, the add was for an Sherwood mono tube amp and unknown speaker. I was a little confused to weather or not this is a JBL cab because every thing I have seen indicates a 1-piece back up untill now. I was thinking mid to late 50's

Unfortunately there was only one available, I have it set-up in the garage right now. It sounds perfectly lovely, fills the whole yard with music.

So the question at hand, JBL cabinet or knock-off ??
    The C43 has the curved horn exit.

Thread Information