Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cetec Gauss 4583A Repair manuals, pdf's?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevieb View Post
    Great to find this forum, as I recently acquired several folded horns: two Earthquakes, with CV-188EB's in them, two Peavey CH-4C high-freq. horns with Peavey 22A drivers, one folded horn with a Gauss 4583A 15" in it, and 5 folded horn cabs, unloaded. All the drivers are working, and although they seem to be rather inefficient (tested them with a QSC USA 1310, 650 watts @ 4 ohms, power amp-) they all play well.

I don't doubt you folks know much more about these speakers (and speakers in general) than I.

I have no desire to re-cone them, but it's good to know re-cone kits are available. If you could answer some questions, I would be grateful:

Where can I find a speaker to match the Gauss? Are there other brands that are "close enough?" I will be using them for live sound.

What's with the apparent in-efficiency? What can I do about that? From what I read here and elsewhere, I am already pushing all the drivers harder than I should be (I was brief) so more power wouldn't do, would it?

I am told in another forum that the more folded horns, the better. Really? Should I put drivers in the rest of 'em, or should I sell the lot and get fewer, more modern cabs/drivers?

If the answer is to sell 'em- anybody want some?

Well not exactly but pictures are always welcome

Quote Originally Posted by spudler View Post
    Ronald57, Dustcaps?
    I seen yo mentioned to get hard paper ones so the voice coil could cool properly? does air somehow get through the paper or are your referring to the felt being like insulation and holding heat in better then thin paper would?
    the reason I ask is when I installed my Dustcaps I also bought some of the Wet look speaker cone covering and protector and I put it on the cones real well and I did the dust caps to protect them and to make them match the cones.
    I would of done both sides had I been able to remove teh cones without destroying the speakers, I suppose when I recone them I will apply to cones before I install them.

Please don't take this the wrong way but you kind of destroyed them by using the wet look stuff on them.

The dust caps? Well I better buy another set then. they were pretty cheap I think $5 for both of them

Dustcaps?
    I seen you mentioned to get hard paper ones so the voice coil could cool properly? does air somehow get through the paper or are your referring to the felt being like insulation and holding heat in better then thin paper would?
    the reason I ask is when I installed my Dustcaps I also bought some of the Wet look speaker cone covering and protector and I put it on the cones real well and I did the dust caps to protect them and to make them match the cones.
    I would of done both sides had I been able to remove the cones without destroying the speakers, I suppose when I recone them I will apply to cones before I install them.
    The dust caps? Well I better buy another set then. they were pretty cheap I think $5 for both of them
    No, I believe he meant that when you treated the CONES with the wet look stuff you changed their properties and that destroyed them ... When you recone, them its best not to add anything not originally used by the speaker designer.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

No actually I was very impressed by how much better the speakers sound now compared to when they had nothing on them. I believe since they were so old and were not taken the best care of nor stored in the best areas it caused the paper to become weak and the coating stiffened them up and improved the sound quality drastically. before I used the wet look product I was thinking of reconing them now I am more then happy with the sound quality and will only recone them if the voice coils go bad.
    The bass sounds used to be kinda boomy and not what I was hoping for now it is a real nice bass sound and on music with faster double bass kicks they are really snappy and sound like what I was hoping they would.

Talking

I know it has been years since last post but really needed to update all.
    I am still using those 4583A Speakers .
    Matter of fact I know use a CS 1000X Bridged and Summed to power both of them connected ( I believe as parallel) to create 4 Ohms.
    I can get 1500 watts out of my Peavey CS 1000X this way
    At one time I was using a CS 800 for each Speaker Bridged at 8 ohms
    So technically I am about 50 watts shy of that setup now and I must say I have never been so impressed with a set of what I thought were Junk speakers in my life
    I can still literally shake stuff off my walls and cause ceiling to act like it is snowing inside.
    Once I finally got the Behringer X-over finely dialed in along with my Alesis M-EQ 230
    these speakers have never sounded so clear, or loud or had such organ churning Bass ever.
    Only thing I can compare was a Tool concert in 96 where they played some low bass sounds at intro and it started with you feeling it then hearing it and I can
    pull that off.
    Still about 20Hz not much there but at 30 hz that is when it goes Bat Shoot crazy
    I have yet to try as I literally cannot get enough main current to the amps to pull off full 100% Power but I bet I can hear this system 3 blocks away at 7-11
    Of course the Police do not look kindly on such loud music especially since I listen to things Like Lamb of God, trivium, slipknot etc.

But I had to update as these are still booming with nothing more then the Wet look Stuff and new dust caps.
    Matter of fact my new project is I was given a pair of 15" Cetec Gauss Speakers that are in the 5000 Series and having issues finding much info on them.
    They seem to have 4" voice coils. weigh about the same as my 4583's but I guess are 16 ohm speakers.
    ]One seems ok one I get a Open circuit when tested like something came un hookered internally.
    Stupid me I have them put away at moment or I woudl get exact model #
    Really feel like an butt now for mentioning them without all the proper info on them
    I will see if I can loacate anything in computer from when I got them and update what they are actually ASAP

Ha Ha found a pic. they are 5642 15" speakersName:  2016-04-20 006.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  79.7 KB

So anyone have any Data on these bad boys?
    Why the change in model # 4583 made sense
    4" vc 15" speaker, 8 ohm etc
    5642 is wacked.
    maybe starts with 15", 16 Ohm, 4" VC and the 2 for its intended purpose??
    plus anyone know of rebuild/recone kits for these?
    I have another Peavey CS 1000X I am dying to hook up and just prove I can go way overboard for a home stereo system LLOLMAO

Yes, I agree that the older numbering convention is pretty non-intuitive ( and that's what those 5642's of yours are / they're an older generation of Gauss ).

A Multi-Meter will confirm the 16 ohms impedance for you ( ie; it'll read @ 11- 12 ohms if your speakers are 16 ohm ).

They are the 16 ohm equivalent of the 8 ohm 4582 ( so 4562 ) . They use an alnico magnet.

They're a short coil version of your existing 4583's ( but still have the standard 4 1/8" diameter voice-coil ) .

re; Recones
    - You might of noticed that the eBay link I posted some 6+ years ago now shows that company is no longer active ( at least on eBay ).

That's really a shame because the only other option ( for the DIYer ) is not a good option for any novice ( like yourself ).

Your latest acquisitions can be reconed into 4583's ( since they share the same 4 1/8" VC diameter ).

Gauss 4583 Recone Kit

or kept as 4582's ( which were more efficient / but have a lot less available cone travel, ie Xmax )

- the comparable JBL model to the 4583 is the 2234 while the older JBL D140 roughly equates to the Gauss 4582 ( the short coil really meant it was best suited for horn-loading or M.I. work ).

I would suggest you find a reconing outfit with connections to these same aftermarket parts ( as used by the people in my new link ) and have pros do the work.

PS; Glad to hear those other 4583s are still rockin for you.

Here's a link to the "deep" VC SpeakerX supplies ( it comes from MWA, the lack of any former venting is a bit of a concern IMO );

Thanks Earl K. you've been a great help.
    I know I've been kicking myself for putting off buying those original recone kits you posted a link to years ago.
    Now though I see new data.
    Sorry for the delay in replying I did not realize anyone had replied. I need to get my notifications worked out.
    will look at new info and be sure to update you all when I figure whats next.
    Still trying to figure out what the Magnets weigh as I see newer speakers listing like 70 oZ and 200 Oz Somethings.
    Ill get exact phrase and post that in a bit thanks again

Voicecoil

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Yes, I agree that the older numbering convention is pretty non-intuitive ( and that's what those 5642's of yours are / they're an older generation of Gauss ).

A Multi-Meter will confirm the 16 ohms impedance for you ( ie; it'll read @ 11- 12 ohms if your speakers are 16 ohm ).

They are the 16 ohm equivalent of the 8 ohm 4582 ( so 4562 ) . They use an alnico magnet.

They're a short coil version of your existing 4583's ( but still have the standard 4 1/8" diameter voice-coil ) .

re; Recones
    - You might of noticed that the eBay link I posted some 6+ years ago now shows that company is no longer active ( at least on eBay ).

That's really a shame because the only other option ( for the DIYer ) is not a good option for any novice ( like yourself ).

Your latest acquisitions can be reconed into 4583's ( since they share the same 4 1/8" VC diameter ).

Gauss 4583 Recone Kit

or kept as 4582's ( which were more efficient / but have a lot less available cone travel, ie Xmax )

- the comparable JBL model to the 4583 is the 2234 while the older JBL D140 roughly equates to the Gauss 4582 ( the short coil really meant it was best suited for horn-loading or M.I. work ).

I would suggest you find a reconing outfit with connections to these same aftermarket parts ( as used by the people in my new link ) and have pros do the work.

PS; Glad to hear those other 4583s are still rockin for you.

Here's a link to the "deep" VC SpeakerX supplies ( it comes from MWA, the lack of any former venting is a bit of a concern IMO );

Weren’t they had 4-1/4 inches dia voicecoils?

I just measured an older spare-part ( short-coil assembly ) that I have here.

The Voice-Coil ( diameter ) is approx. 4 1/8" . That's center/top of metal former to center of former .

Adding in the winding/width means the outer diameter has grown to a bit more than 4.125" ( though not approaching 4.25" > it looks like 4 3/16" ) .

Considering those dimensions I could see the gap ( outside to outside measurement of the VC gap ) going to 4" 4/16" ( or 4.25" iow ) .

Unfortunately, I don't have a magnet assembly to measure the gap's outer diameter.

Just checked in my stuff.

Gauss 45xx series have VC dia. rated 4 1/8", but the 15" from 35xx series have VC dia. rated 3".

As for VC length: 4583A, 4543A, 4583F, 4543F all have 0.75". The MI/horn load ones referred to are higher sensitivity & shorter VC: 4582 and 4562 have 0.31". Finally, the 4580 and 4560 have 0.45". Have no such data for the 35xx series. Regards,

Richard

Thread Information