Thread: Crown Xti series

Crown Xti series

Has anyone had any experience with these "Class D" amplifiers yet? I've read conflicting reports, particularly about the XTi1000, which has a very attractive price, and I gotta say, at only 11 pounds, the weight seems quite reasonable. On the one hand, some tests have claimed the amp lacks the ability to reach its stated performance in the low bass region. On the other hand, some reports say that's true only at 4 ohms and that other members of the series do not display this shortcoming.

IIRC, these are not Class D (or "Class-I"), but have switching/tracking power supplies
    that drive a more normal output stage.

http://www.crownaudio.com/pdf/amps/136634.pdf

I've used them (2000 & 4000) to drive a large multi-driver box simulating industrial noise
    at sustained high levels, so I can vouch for their sturdiness, but maybe someone who
    has tried them in a pro-audio setting can answer your bass-quality question.

Using the Crown XTi 1000 to power my SB210 subwoofer. Ran through Avatar last night (which included quite a few bass heavy moments) without a hint of trouble.

...then again, I have my low pass filter set to 48 Hz. Not sure how it'll turn out for a true subwoofer. If I was in your situation, I'd probably toss a dime towards the new XLS series.

No they're not class D, but normal AB class amplifiers. The 2000, 4000 and 6000 have two tier power supply while the 1000 has a single supply. All are switching modes supplies.

They're OK but don't get them close to the sea or humidity, they will fail soon. Also they have a huge flaw, they have no DC output protection while the amp is in power-up mode which takes as much as 4 seconds. This means that if the amp is defective, it can output many DC volts during that time, until the protection circuit kicks in and shuts down.
    Been there, seen it, and even reported it to Crown.

Besides they're OK, they got lots of power and are sturdy. And the DSP is a plus.

I've used the XTi2000 as a home subwoofer amp, and it did everything I could have asked it to do. Considering the price and the built-in EQ, it's a no-brainer. (Well, it would be better if Band Manager or HiQnet ran natively on OSX instead of being .net stuff that requires one to boot into non-OSX, but that's my only complaint.)

love crown amps

but prefere the older stuff that is USA made and not china, got a Powertech 3 here which i used to use in illegal partys, its rock solid and loud as hell, old now but it still sounds fantastic. had it serviced and rebuilt by the legend that is Stan lawrence at surry amps

XTI amps are pretty good. Here and there, you get a problem amp. But, for the price they are good. The NEW XLS amps look good, I can recommend WHOLEHEARTEDLY the CTS line of Crown amps.

OR, IF your willing to spend the money, the MACRO TECH i SERIES and the I TECH HD SERIES are THE MOST KICK ASS AMPS FOR SUBWOOFER DUTY!

The people using these amps for HT and PREMIUM HOME HI FI SUBWOOFER USE, I can't recommend the I TECH HD amplifiers enough. They are rock solid, POWERFUL, VERY PROGRAMABLE, and THE FRONT END DSP PROCESSING allows the end user almost anything they need to be able to do!

I just got myself a CROWN Macro Tech 9000i, and I am installing it next week, it replaces my I Tech 4000, it is more powerful, the I Tech, though, has more user flexibility, albeit stuff I don't really need, but it has been good to me. THIS is the amp that opened me up to WHAT WE CAN DO TODAY! She NEVER failed on me, always reliable, and GREAT and STRONG sounding. And she is still in PRISTINE condition, and works as well as the 1st day I used it.

scottyj

Breaks my heart to say this, but the XTi series is now completely made overseas. I specifically choose this lineup because it at least involved some sort of American assembly.

We'd like to keep everything in the USA but reality/competition pushes some products overseas. The XTi1/2/4k design and assembly began here but assembly recently transitioned overseas. The CTs, MAi, iTechHD, XTi6k and XLS3 are all made in here (Elkhart, Indiana).
    http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/ind...=3357&hl=china

Xti6000

The XTI 6000 is made in USA, or at least fully assembled and tested in USA, I recently bought two units and both have the MADE IN USA logo.
    Asked to Crown and they confirmed to me that XTI 1000-2000-4000 are made in China but the 6000 is still made in USA.

By the way I'm very happy with my two XTI 6000 I drive my JBL 4350, biamp, and I've never heard them sound so good. I only have to take care of their huge power reserve if I don't want to blow them. I set the protection to -12db.
    The sound is detailed and open withoutout being aggressive.
    The Crossvover and the DSP are fantasic!

Quote Originally Posted by whizzer View Post
    On the one hand, some tests have claimed the amp lacks the ability to reach its stated performance in the low bass region.
    Hi,

When i bought my JBL 4645C, i have chose the Xti1000 amp because it comes with filtering and EQ integrated tools for a nice price.

But after 4 years with a Velodyne DD15, i was not completely satisfied with the result.
    So i have decided to made a test : i have replaced the 475w of xti1000 by one of my Chord SPM2000 channel (160w...). And ... It was a lot better !

The 160w were unable to do the same bass level than the 475w of the xti on big movie tracks with a good control of the woofer, but with concert dvd, it was ok. Very precise basses, no more boomy bass around 44Hz (and i have tried so many times to solved this problem with Crown and its EQ tool ).

The Chord amp was able to control the 18" woofer. The Xti amp could not.
    So i have sold my almost new Xti1000 and bought a very old Crest Audio 8001.
    Now, my 4645C is really working

Serge.

Did you use the XTi in bridged mode?
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

I have made a test in bridged mode, yes. And the lack of bass control was the same.

S.

Quote Originally Posted by shacard View Post
    I have made a test in bridged mode, yes. And the lack of bass control was the same.

S.
    In bridged mode i think it sounds really bad. However, in normal mode, i have yet to find a hifi-amplifier that even comes close when it comes to bass control. It doesn't have MUCH bass, but the detailing is second to none, in the setups i have tried.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thread Information