Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replacement of glass wool damping in Altec Valencia

Xronx, do you have any citings of articles by the experts? If they have a clear opinion that fiberglass is dangerous, they are sure keeping it to themselves. I have looked around on the web and can find no documentation of any specific breathing hazard, only conjecture here and there mostly by people who are trying to sell masks or are anti-corporate politically.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    Xronx, do you have any citings of articles by the experts? If they have a clear opinion that fiberglass is dangerous, they are sure keeping it to themselves. I have looked around on the web and can find no documentation of any specific breathing hazard, only conjecture here and there mostly by people who are trying to sell masks or are anti-corporate politically.
    There are a couple of articles on that topic you can find...what I found is mostly from Europe. It seems that possible dangers due to glas fibres is not that much a topic in the US.

http://www.sichtech.uni-bonn.de/Wob/images/32850658.pdf

In this article from the German government safety organization and university of Bonn it is stated that fibres made before 1996 have a potential to cause lung cancer. After that year the fibres at least from european manufactures have a lower "half-life" time (which means they break down to un-critical size in a specific time and can be removed by our body) and therefore less risk to stay a critical time in our lungs to cause problems. From 2000 on only materials with uncritical fibres are oficially allowed to be used for construction ect.

Another thing is that it is said, that formaldehyde is often used as a binding agent in such fibre sheets.

Thread Information