Thread: Do 8 and 16 Ohm Speakers "Sound" the Same?

Do 8 and 16 Ohm Speakers "Sound" the Same?

Assuming the same model and similar vintage, and that they are used with the correct crossover, with the exception of a small volume difference, do the 8 and 16 ohm speakers sound the same (i.e., same tonality and frequency curves).

I'm thinking of mixing 8 and 16 ohm speakers (specifically, LE-14Cs) for front and rear surrounds if they would have the same sound. Please don't mention reconing to change impedience as LE-14As are $443 and LE-14Hs are $548 EACH to recone. I don't even know that they can do the 14Cs. Refoams, are no problem though.

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin
    Assuming the same model and similar vintage, and that they are used with the correct crossover, with the exception of a small volume difference, do the 8 and 16 ohm speakers sound the same (i.e., same tonality and frequency curves).
    - I suspect the two impedance versions are actually the same impedance voice coil . JBL did change their impedance labelling convention/method in the early 1960s.

- I'd recommend measuring the DC impedance of those le14C drivers you have.
    ( If you don't have a DVM/Digital Volt Meter, then you should buy a cheap one )

- You should find that your le14 ( so called ) 8 ohm & 16 ohm voice coils have the same DCR (DC Resistance ).

Service Info from 1982 indicates ;
    - A healthy le14a voice coil measured 5.9 to 7.1 ohms ( dcr )
    - le14h = 5.7 to 6.9 ohms
    - le14c = 6.7 to 8.3 ohms .

Either side of those ranges and the coil is suspect .

Service Info from 1976 indicates ;
    - A healthy le14a voice coil measured 5.7 to 6.9 ohms ( dcr )
    - ( no le14h yet existed )
    - the older, le14c = 4.6 to 5.4 ohms .

Either side of those ranges and the coil is suspect or not original or of a different vintage .

- Yes, the two impedance versions will sound the same . And definately close enough if the coils are actually different vintage .

I'm thinking of mixing 8 and 16 ohm speakers (specifically, LE-14Cs) for front and rear surrounds if they would have the same sound. Please don't mention reconing to change impedience as LE-14As are $443 and LE-14Hs are $548 EACH to recone. I don't even know that they can do the 14Cs. Refoams, are no problem though.
    - Well, you must not be North America if you are being quoted prices like that .
    - A brand new le14h-3 purchased direct from Harman US is around $ $280. ( for a whole speaker, not just the recone ). Bargooon !

- If your le14Cs are working fine I would never think of reconing them. Plus I think that kit was discontinued .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    -
    - Well, you must not be North America if you are being quoted prices like that .
    - A brand new le14h-3 purchased direct from Harman US is around $ $280. ( for a whole speaker, not just the recone ). Bargooon !

- If your le14Cs are working fine I would never think of reconing them. Plus I think that kit was discontinued .
    Thanks.

Prices are from Orange County Speaker in So. Cal.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/ocsrepairprice.html

Prices are from Orange County Speaker in So. Cal.
    D'OH

They're apparently having difficulty gettin' kits.

[Or think they have the last of 'em.... ]

The answer to the basic question is: Yes, they sound the same, and in many vintage JBL cases, in fact ARE the same....

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    - I'd recommend measuring the DC impedance of those le14C drivers you have.
    Bingo.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information