Thread: Need info on speaker

Need info on speaker

Hey guys, just curious if anyone has any information on Altec 604-E8, Cant find any literature anywhere, trying to figure out if it was original to the Big Red Monitor System or not.

Do you own a set of 604-E8s ?

Do they look this pic from HiFiDo ( except that the "E2" portion of that label has been replaced by "E8" ) ?

• (i) How about taking a DCR ( dc resistance ) measurement of the HF section for us , as well as a measurement of the LF section ? ( use a multimeter with the existing crossover disconnected )
    • (ii) Also, how about a pic of what you own for a comparative reference ? ( pics are used as the de facto currency around here )
    Thanks <> cheers

I'll take pics shortly. I do happen to own them.

Heres a pic

I'm not clear on where you are getting the "E8" designation as the picture you uploaded is labeled 604-8G. There is all sorts of info on that driver on this forum if you do a search. There was a 604 model that contained "E8" in the model name as described in an old post of mine below.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    From what I understand, the 604-E2 is the same as the 604-8G. The E2 label was used by Altec for 604-8G's that were sold to Audio Techniques for use in their Big Red studio monitor. I'm pretty sure the E2 label was used on drivers sold to UREI as well, but I can't confirm this at the moment.

As far as the difference between the 604E and 604-8G, I don't think there is much beyond the use of a 16" frame on the latter compared to a 15" frame on the former. The 604E was introduced in 1967 as a 16 ohm driver. Around 1970, it was converted to 8 ohms, but was still considered an "E" version since it was labeled the 604E-8G. In 1974, the name was shortened to 604-8G when they adopted the 16" frame and I don't think there were any electrical or mechanical changes. BTW, this is why there never was an "F" series of 604 drivers.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

The 604- E2 may be a blend of "E" & "G" impedance values

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    From what I understand, the 604-E2 is the same as the 604-8G. The E2 label was used by Altec for 604-8G's that were sold to Audio Techniques for use in their Big Red studio monitor. I'm pretty sure the E2 label was used on drivers sold to UREI as well, but I can't confirm this at the moment.

As far as the difference between the 604E and 604-8G, I don't think there is much beyond the use of a 16" frame on the latter compared to a 15" frame on the former. The 604E was introduced in 1967 as a 16 ohm driver. Around 1970, it was converted to 8 ohms, but was still considered an "E" version since it was labeled the 604E-8G. In 1974, the name was shortened to 604-8G when they adopted the 16" frame and I don't think there were any electrical or mechanical changes. BTW, this is why there never was an "F" series of 604 drivers.

Here's the schematic for the Mastering Lab crossover .

- I get the impression ( looking at the LC values ) that it's meant to be used with a 8 ohm HF driver and a 16 ohm LF woofer .
    - Someone with LEAP would need to model this schematic to confirm either way .

<> cheers EarlK

Thread Information