Thread: Recone kit for 708G-1!

Recone kit for 708G-1!

I just got an e-mail from http://crawdaddysspeakers.webs.com/reconekitsgk.htm saying his supplier now has a 708G-1 recone kit. $25 each plus $10 shipping. Glue is extra. Here's the scoop: "The kits are very high quality after-market. These are not drop-in and all parts must be assembled. The surrounds are generally already attached to the cones. Kit also includes wound voice coil, dustcap, spider, and gasket set. I include tinsel wire."

Has anyone tried one of these or know anything about it? Could save my L5's.

Why are you going to screw around with an unassembled aftermarket kit?? Just Ebay the drivers they are up all the time.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Yeah, point taken, Rob. Just looking at my options. I'm thinking that if I do a recone I won't have to worry about surrounds for a good long time, which probably isn't the case with a used driver from eBay. I know many have said their surrounds are holding up fine, but both of my 708G-1's have surround issues as did the ones in a pair of L3's I re-edged last year.

Why not just replace the surrounds on your drivers?

Will probably try refoaming when my time comes. Sooner than later I fear, as they're already showing some cracks.

I'd only consider eBay if I could be reasonably certain they'd spent their lives doing midbass duty in L7's. I figure the ones coming from L3 or L5 have seen too many 'long excursions' already in their lifetime.

I say you should "take one for the team" and get one of these kits, try it out, and see how it goes. Document everything here so we can see if it might be a course some of us follow over time.

While the "used-on-ebay" strategy will work for a while, it is an end game that only replaces a worn out driver with one a little less worn out.

What's the price of admission?
    Out.

Gee, thanks for volunteering me Dome!

The aftermarket 708G-1 recone kit is $25 each plus $10 shipping, glue is extra. I'm getting more info about the kit - like what is the voice coil impedance, what is the surround material, and how wide is the outer lip of the surround. I'll post the answers when I get them.

Anyone have experience with other aftermarket recone kits for JBL gear?

I've done lots of surround replacements, but haven't done a recone yet, nor assembled a kit. Anyone have input as to how tough it is? I'm hoping to keep the L5's whole, but it's the age old question of the cost of maintaining compared to the benefit of selling parts.

Well, after getting more info, it looks to me like the aftermarket recone kit from Keith at [email protected] is not an exact replacement. Keith said the ID is 5.438" and OD is 7.688". When I re-edged the L-3's I measured the surround's ID as 5.5" and OD as 7.125" And, Keith said the surrounds in the recone kit look like plain foam, whereas the L-series has that weird rubber/foam laminate. Bummer.

The coil in the recone kit is 8 ohm.

Hmmm...

Indeed.
    Out.

recone kit???

I recently acquired a pair of JBL 250TI's from my father in law who just past away. He used to own a stereo shop back in the day in Honolulu and the speakers are a bit in disarray and I'd REALLY like to get them back up to speed. I understand that they're well sought after and am very excited to own them.

I've already got a refoam kit for the woofers and have started to get them taken care of, however one of the lower mid's needs to be reconed. It is a 108H 8".

I can't seem to find a recone kit for this driver... can ANYONE point me in the right direction?

I can't wait to get these speakers up and running again...

Thanks in advance!

Thread Information