Thread: Model 15 - refurb questions

Model 15 - refurb questions

I bagged a pair of original Altec Model 15's for $299 that had been sitting on a high shelf for 30 years. They work fine, but the black bases were removed to fit on the shelf. I see screw holes on the bottom of the speakers that are: 3/4" from the front edge, 1 3/8" from the sides, and 2" from the back. Are these for attachment of the black bases? If so, are the bases attached with brackets, and the brackets are inside the base, or outside the base? Also, what are the dimensions of the base material. From photos it looks like the bases are made from material that is about 2" high. Any info or photos would be greatly appreciated. I also assume there is a hole of slit in the back piece of the base for the speaker wires to go through.

Finally, any suggestions for replacing the speaker connections on the bottoms? I would prefer a 5 way binding post rather than the small wire push connectors. Thanks

I just sold a pair. The base (called a "plinth") was made of 3/4" x 1-1/2" (high) particle board (poor choice). No brackets are used. Screws go thru middle of 3/4" board. There was no hole or slit in base for wire routing (!). Good thing I took a picture of the "plinth".

Replacing the terminals shouldn't be difficult depending on where you want the new ones located. Removing the woofer gives you complete access inside the box.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by sonofagun View Post
    I just sold a pair. The base (called a "plinth") was made of 3/4" x 1-1/2" (high) particle board (poor choice). No brackets are used. Screws go thru middle of 3/4" board. There was no hole or slit in base for wire routing (!). Good thing I took a picture of the "plinth".

Replacing the terminals shouldn't be difficult depending on where you want the new ones located. Removing the woofer gives you complete access inside the box.
    Thank you very much. A picture is worth 1,000 words. I guess because I am used to modern high end speakers, I always want to use heafty speaker cables. Of course, when you look inside of vintage speakers, you see they are connected with pretty small wires internally.

Enjoy your 15s. BTW, I make new replacement foam grilles for these.

Thread Information