Thread: Horn Shape Orientation

Horn Shape Orientation

Typically horns have curved flares and slanted sides. Does it matter if the flare (curve) is horizontal or vertical? Midbass horns (45XX) have their flares running vertical whereas CD horns have the flares running horizontal. If building a horn for a 2123 would I run the flare vertical?

Thoughts?
    I take wood and make sawdust

Quote Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
    Typically horns have curved flares and slanted sides. Does it matter if the flare (curve) is horizontal or vertical? Midbass horns (45XX) have their flares running vertical whereas CD horns have the flares running horizontal. If building a horn for a 2123 would I run the flare vertical?

Thoughts?
    Hello Tinnitus,

If only one (horizontal or vertical) can be flared, normally I would choose to flare the horizontal plane and slant the vertical plane as one often wants more horizontal dispersion. But the aspect ratio of the horn would also factor into this and I would reverse my suggetion (and flare the vertical plane) if the horn were very wide compared with its height. I would also suggest that this issue matters less and less as the frequency range in which the horn operates reduces.

As it happens I would also like to experiment with horn loading the 2123. I have chosen to use the JBL 4560 bass bin (Horizontal plane flared / vertical plane slanted) as the front part of the flare (the mouth) and will build an extension backwards from its existing throat to accomodate the 2123 or perhaps a 2118 in an attempt to cover a band something like 100/200 Hz to 600/800+Hz, to then mate with a 2440 and 2405

Looks like you may already have the matter in hand from your avatar....looks like a 4560 in the making.

Best
    JA
    Have Fun - >>> Nessun Dorma - 12 years old <<<
    Best, Joe Alesi

Thread Information