Thread: Bryston External DAC

Bryston External DAC

(edit)

Last night I finally received my Bryston BDA-1 DAC. I compared the digital out of the Oppo through the Bryston DAC to the analog outputs of the Special Edition. Pretty noticeable difference. The outboard DAC had a much better sound stage, with an overall clearer and less grungy sound. The highs were more crystalline. Could I be happy with the Oppo alone, I was, but last night was the first time in quite a while that I wasn't longing for the clicks and pops of a turntable.

Widget
    Last edited by boputnam; 05-07-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    The outboard (Bryston External) DAC had a much better sound stage, with an overall clearer and less grungy sound. The highs were more crystalline. Could I be happy with the Oppo alone, I was, but last night was the first time in quite a while that I wasn't longing for the clicks and pops of a turntable.
    +1

The word that keeps coming to mind is "depth" - there is amazing depth to the sound. Smooth, dynamic, very real across all genre's and production styles.

bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    +1

The word that keeps coming to mind is "depth" - there is amazing depth to the sound. Smooth, dynamic, very real across all genre's and production styles.

So what do you think about the Bryston's over sampling vs. straight up sound?

Widget

I sheepishly admit to only toying with that option, a little.

I am very pleased with the overall improved DAC, even tho' as we heard, my Sony CDP-D12 had a damned impressive DAC on-board. That said, the BDA-1 improved the playback sufficiently to encourage me to uprade the balanced feed from the main system into my study. So, I dusted off my Aphex 124A (for about the millionth time...), and now can enjoy the same quality where I sit the most.

Divine Reviews

Good review of the device, with an interesting application (PC playback).

Divine Reviews

pentictonklaus
    Are we talking about the Oppo 83 SE ? I was just about to order this one. Maybe I should try a cheaper model with my old Proceed DAC. The Oppo had good reviews, but Bryston is from Canada.

Klaus
    BC
    Canada

Obsolete
    After spending time with the BDA-1, I’d be happy to use this as my main source of music and not have a CD player in my system at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pentictonklaus View Post
    Are we talking about the Oppo 83 SE ? I was just about to order this one. Maybe I should try a cheaper model with my old Proceed DAC. The Oppo had good reviews, but Bryston is from Canada.
    Yes, this was originally in a thread discussing that player... I think Bo pulled out a few posts and created this new thread.

In my current system I am using the Oppo 83SE as a digital out for both CDs and high res CDs DVD-Audio etc. The Bryston is significantly better than the Oppo. I do use the Oppo for it's SACD analog outs, but in most cases prefer redbook with the Bryston to the Oppo's DACs and analog section.

My primary source has been an iPod loaded with lossless files feeding the Bryston, via a Wadia i170. The sound is identical to using a CD player using a S/PDIF connection to feed the Bryston DAC.

Sonically the Oppo is fine as are all CD players I have tried with a S/PDIF output. I do think the analog section of the SE is an improvement and is worth the price, but if I was about to purchase a player to use with a top flight DAC, like the Bryston, I'd look elsewhere. I am not crazy about the OPPO's operational features... I guess it is fine as a DVD player, but for a music playback device I prefer my old Sony.

Widget

Thread Information