Thread: Repait of 050ti (Ti-5000)

Repait of 050ti (Ti-5000)

Hello. There is a problem. One of the tweeters 050ti is damaged with something like a finger. It is bent in the center of the titanium tweeter inside to the speaker. It is not seriously damaged - there is no breaking of it or thrown parts. And i think it is very real to try to straighten it.
    Who knows is it safely ? I don't know the properties of this metal tweeters like elasticity and fragility
    so it is very risky. So there is no risk to this accuratly or not ? Who has done this ?

The second question. How to do this right !???
    1) to try to straighten it from the outside with a kind of pencil and scotch or patch or something else (i think it is not the best method)
    2) to try to straighten it from the inside with a push of something. Is there any problems in disassembling of the tweeter and to make a access to the center of the tweeter from the outside.

On the pictures attached is shown the frequency response of the 2 tweenters (normal and damaged) and the impendance.
    ANY commentary and points of view are VERY WELCOME !!!
    PS Sorry for ma english.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Damaged = blue? Interestingly, it doesn't appear to have as much ultrasonic ringing.

Yes. It is blue. Soon we will examine it with others speakers OFF.

What about the kind of metall that the titanim tweeters are made? I think that the second deformation(back in it's native position) is not so right without knowing of that.

There's some very good info about the 050ti in the thread behind this picture .

Click it !

On this forum, Robh3606 has past experience at figuring out the unknowns of the 050ti tweeter .

Do a search using Robs' name ( with "050ti" ) as the item of interest .

<> cheers

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Damaged = blue? Interestingly, it doesn't appear to have as much ultrasonic ringing.
    That graph shoot holes in the whole "Does Not Affect The Sound" meme...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
    Hello. There is a problem. One of the tweeters 050ti is damaged with something like a finger. It is bent in the center of the titanium tweeter inside to the speaker. It is not seriously damaged - there is no breaking of it or thrown parts. And i think it is very real to try to straighten it.
    Who knows is it safely ? I don't know the properties of this metal tweeters like elasticity and fragility
    so it is very risky. So there is no risk to this accuratly or not ? Who has done this ?

The second question. How to do this right !???
    1) to try to straighten it from the outside with a kind of pencil and scotch or patch or something else (i think it is not the best method)
    2) to try to straighten it from the inside with a push of something. Is there any problems in disassembling of the tweeter and to make a access to the center of the tweeter from the outside.

On the pictures attached is shown the frequency response of the 2 tweenters (normal and damaged) and the impendance.
    ANY commentary and points of view are VERY WELCOME !!!
    PS Sorry for ma english.
    Assassin
    Take a bog roll or toilet tube and place it over the HF tweeter and suck backwards on it. It should go pop! And the dome should be way it was before it got pushed in!

If you want to use a vacuum cleaner, I’d be very careful how you position the tube as it might pull the whole diaphragm lose! So use the bog role and suck hard! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    It would change the characteristics tonally sound when playing pink noise on the HF only (from one to the other).

I think the MUSTHAVE answer is the properties of the metal(titan) of which the dynamic is made - not to broke it during this awfull "toilet" operations

Hello Assassin

In response to your PM I think your best bet is to try to source a recone kit or a spare driver. You can try the vacumnn trick but it may not pop out and may still have a crease in the dome.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Thank you for your help. 050ti was repaired from the inside with the good results in measurements till 18 khz.

Thread Information