Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok now I'M lansing heritage-worthy... still can't believe it

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the story and pix!

Kudos also to your mega speaker friendly wife, may she be an example to spouses everywhere...
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Casters...unless you're on shag carpet, try these (get the largest size):
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the story and pix!

Kudos also to your mega speaker friendly wife, may she be an example to spouses everywhere...
    Not to gloat, but she also made the trip with me both times (they wouldn't fit in our vehicle the first time, so we left a deposit and went back the next day with the rented truck).

She even claimed to be excited about the speakers, too.

When we got them into our place and saw how enormous they look inside our not-large pad, she just laughed.

super awesome

i am the jealous one !!!

Nice!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brad347 View Post
    They're all there, except the 2245H's need refoaming and the 2308 lenses seem MIA.
    Whoa... Lucky you.

Your work has just begun. Read all you can here, and realize these are not "plug-and-play" - they take some careful set-up and tuning. Do not short change that or you will be making a big mistake.

That said, looking at the pics (beauties!! ) you need to re-surround those 2122H's too. Those surrounds are shot.

Please, PLEASE come back here as you get these up-and-running. There is a wealth of experienced users here that can save you from months of struggle.
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Whoa... Lucky you.

Your work has just begun. Read all you can here, and realize these are not "plug-and-play" - they take some careful set-up and tuning. Do not short change that or you will be making a big mistake.

That said, looking at the pics (beauties!! ) you need to re-surround those 2122H's too. Those surrounds are shot.

Please, PLEASE come back here as you get these up-and-running. There is a wealth of experienced users here that can save you from months of struggle.
    Thanks!

Any ideas on what I should search for to find some of this advice you're mentioning? Besides the model number, of course--

I will do the 2122Hs as well, as per your advice. I'll do those next. I'm in no huge hurry to get these running right away-- it can be a medium-term project for me.

I appreciate all of your help and advice-- however, I don't think there will be "months of struggle." I am more than happy to learn as I go, and if it takes months, it takes months. I ultimately don't want to 'waste' the potential of these wonderful speakers, but I also don't intend to lose any sleep over it one way or the other. Too many other important things in life for that! I'm OK with a bit of a 'journey' but I'm always excited to learn from the experiences of others. I'll certainly do some reading.

Any nudges in the direction of any documents, possible search strings, generalized advice, etc. is very welcome. Thanks again.

The refoaming of the 2245Hs has started!

Since my kits are in the mail from Rick Cobb as of tomorrow (should have them mid-week) I decided to have a go at removing the old foam.

I finished this stage for one of them. I'm proud to say that step went very well. I managed to get every trace of old glue and foam off the back of the cone. I also managed to save the old gaskets (they pried off rather easily with a razor blade) and I got the frame/basket very clean of the old foam, as well.

I was actually mildly surprised at how well that stage went. Working with my Q-tips to get the glue off the back of the cone was tedious in some spots that were obscured by the frame, but working carefully with a bright LED pen-light and good overhead lighting I actually made rather short work of it. Patience was the key.

I've currently got that driver stored face-down with cardboard support to keep the cone in its 'normal' position to protect the spider (seemed like a good idea to me). Maybe Tuesday I'll tackle the other one, and hope the kits come Wednesday.

Glad I got the encouragement on this forum to try this. I have no idea if the removal of the old surround or the installation of the new one is the "hard" part, but I'm optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf57 View Post
    Casters...unless you're on shag carpet, try these (get the largest size):
    Got 'em tonight-- largest size! Said they could move stuff that was many times the weight of my speakers, so I should be good. Thanks for the tip.

I believe Zilch recommended a lazy susan.........

The refoaming of the 2245Hs has started!

Since my kits are in the mail from Rick Cobb as of tomorrow (should have them mid-week) I decided to have a go at removing the old foam.

I finished this stage for one of them. I'm proud to say that step went very well. I managed to get every trace of old glue and foam off the back of the cone. I also managed to save the old gaskets (they pried off rather easily with a razor blade) and I got the frame/basket very clean of the old foam, as well.

I was actually mildly surprised at how well that stage went. Working with my Q-tips to get the glue off the back of the cone was tedious in some spots that were obscured by the frame, but working carefully with a bright LED pen-light and good overhead lighting I actually made rather short work of it. Patience was the key.

I've currently got that driver stored face-down with cardboard support to keep the cone in its 'normal' position to protect the spider (seemed like a good idea to me). Maybe Tuesday I'll tackle the other one, and hope the kits come Wednesday.

Glad I got the encouragement on this forum to try this. I have no idea if the removal of the old surround or the installation of the new one is the "hard" part, but I'm optimistic.
    as an excellent mode of working the surround into place. Here are some examples from Target. http://www.target.com/b/180-7890707-...t_adv_XSGT0692
    If Pro is the opposite of Con,
    then Progress is the opposite of Congress.

might just have to get me one of them spinnin' contraptions.

Edit: for $3.50 shipped, I just bought a set of bearings so that I can make my own quick-n-dirty lazy susan.

Here's where the first 2245H stands right now:

Here's where the first 2245H stands right now:
    From where I sit, it is going very well.

re: set-up. What I meant is they will at-first sound really good. Then, you tweak this, EQ that, new amps, better crossover, re-tweak. It is endless fun.

However, you will benefit from being able to measure their acoustic response in the room. An RTA is necessary for this, and run Pink Noise - notch those frequencies which rise above the flat response of the Pink.

Regis

Thumbs up

Just caught this thread. Awesome deal-e-o! You've got a superb pair of speakers for a meager amount of cash. Yes, they are huge, but 4345's?!! You were wishing for a pair of L300's and look at what you've got now. Congratulations on your great score. I'm glad they went to someone that is going to enjoy them!

Well, I pulled the other 2245H today and it isn't looking good.

On this one, the surround is rotted all the way around. How can I tell if I need a complete recone or not?

What should I be looking for?

The cone does look to have a slight tilt to one side. I'm not sure if this is a deal-breaker or not.

Thread Information