Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok now I'M lansing heritage-worthy... still can't believe it

Ok now I'M lansing heritage-worthy... still can't believe it

I was jealous of another member's L-300 craigslist score, and lo and behold, I just got back from a 2.5 hours' drive in a rented pickup truck to bring home my new-to-me 4345s! I got a really great deal on them. I never would've been able to afford speakers like this without a little persistence and good luck.

They're all there, except the 2245H's need refoaming and the 2308 lenses seem MIA.

But the grilles are there, and the guy assured me that all drivers were working, sans the refoam issue. He wasn't aware that there were ever supposed to be horn lenses!

The guy was a real nice guy. I don't like to get into a lot of haggling (not my style/not fun for me) but the listing asked for offers... I've been down that road before (bidding war), so I was loath to get involved, but I just e-mailed and asked him what he wanted for them. He said "I want them gone but I don't want to give them away." So I made him an offer that I thought would be way to low (but all I felt comfortable spending) just from the standpoint of "might as well make him say no." He accepted my first offer! It was low. Honestly, for the kind of money I paid, I didn't even ask to hook them up to test them.

He was a real standup guy, promising to honor my offer even if he got offered more. And I'm sure he did get offered more. But he stayed true to his word, which too few people do nowadays.

I was hoping to one day find a deal on some L-300s, which were way out of my range, and then I came across these.

Had to rent a truck and drive way out to the sticks, but once I get them up and running with the proper lenses and refoamed bass drivers, I bet it will be all worth it.

Jubals will now become bedroom speakers, and my 4408s will be sold on to finance the refoam, probably. I wouldn't risk doing it myself.

Anyone have any recommendations for refoaming in the North NJ/NYC area?

No pics yet... they're still out in the truck (with my eye on them out the window) waiting on my friend to get here to help me unload them (way too heavy for me and my wife to handle!) For now, until they get running, they have to get relegated to a tight spot in my music/instrument room but I'll try and snap a few pics later or tomorrow. A couple snags in the blue grilles, a few normal marks on the cabs from wear-and-tear, and of course the aforementioned foam and lens issues. But overall they look pretty nice.

Thanks for listening to my happy story.

Great story !

Looking forward to some pics !

<> cheers

Excellent!

So, what was the damage?

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

Quote Originally Posted by brad347 View Post
    . . . . they're still out in the truck (with my eye on them out the window) waiting on my friend to get here to help me unload them (way too heavy for me and my wife to handle! . . . .
    I know you'll enjoy them.

I think they're also too heavy, because of their size, weight and lack of handles, for two men to move around without risk to themselves or the speakers. I suggest renting a refrigerator dolly for the safety of the backs and speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    I think they're also too heavy, because of their size, weight and lack of handles, for two men to move around without risk to themselves or the speakers. I suggest renting a refrigerator dolly for the safety of the backs and speakers.
    That's good advice. We've actually got 4 people! Though the guy selling them and I got them into the truck, just the 2 of us. But man it wasn't easy work!

The catalog scan in the library says they weigh 246 lbs each, and I believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    Excellent!

So, what was the damage?

eso
    5 benjamins! plus 75 bucks to rent the truck, and gas.

5 benjamins! plus 75 bucks to rent the truck, and gas.
    ¡Score!
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

I just got back from a 2.5 hours' drive in a rented pickup truck to bring home my new-to-me 4345s!
    They're all there, except the 2245H's need refoaming and the 2308 lenses seem MIA.
    But the grilles are there, and the guy assured me that all drivers were working, sans the refoam issue.
    He wasn't aware that there were ever supposed to be horn lenses!
    5 Benjamins! plus 75 bucks to rent the truck, and gas.
    WOW!! That's a most awesome score - congratulations!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Ignoring the price paid (you suck! ), might I suggest a furniture dolly like the ones sold at Lowe's for about $20 with the carpet on them. I moved my 4345s myself out of my van and up a ramp into the house (had to build the ramp). Didn't want my wife to hate them before they even got in the house! I laid them on their backs on corrugated cardboard sheets and slid them off the van load sill onto the dolly and strapped them, carefully, with motorcycle tie-downs using heavy cardboard to protect the corners. I also later installed Lowe's casters under the 4345's plinths to make them more mobile for housekeeping purposes.

Good luck! I, too, bypassed the L300s I always wanted and went for the 4345s instead. I don't regret it. The money spent is a distant memory and the enjoyment continues every day of my life.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    might I suggest a furniture dolly like the ones sold at Lowe's for about $20 with the carpet on them.
    Yes! We used one of those. The four of us (2 guys and 2 girls) plus the furniture dolly made it up my five steps and into my house.

I'll get around to pics later. I've been up since 730 this morning, and I have a gig tonight that starts at midnight, and then I have to get up to return the rental truck by 9AM.

I need a nap!

Thanks everyone. I'm too stoked. Still can't believe it really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Ignoring the price paid (you suck! ), might I suggest a furniture dolly like the ones sold at Lowe's for about $20 with the carpet on them...
    If those are like the ones they sell at Home Depot don't waste your money. The casters have hard wheels and the pivots don't work under any reasonable load. If you have hardwood floors you will damage them.

If you look for a local carpet/flooring supply house you can get real furniture dollies with good soft-wheeled casters that work under heavy loads. They cost a few dollars more but I find the cheap Asian import dreck from the home store chains to be a complete waste of money.

eso

OK here are some pics... kinda.

These are crammed in a real tight space for storage right now in our "spare bedroom" which is really just my gear storage closet.

Once I get the woofers refoamed and the proper horn lenses, I'll break 'em out and make room for them in the living room.

Due to the tight space and the enormous size of the speakers, I wasn't really able to get any good angles. But at least this proves that it really happened.

Congratulations! That's an excellent acquisition, and you should be happy for a long time.
    Out.

wow, what an incredible bargain.....just one of those stories. So, what was the MSRP on these back in the day, around 3k/pr? which would be about 11-12K today...
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Nice score!! They look in pretty good condition.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information