Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Center Channel question

Michael
    Heres something that might help you come up with some ideas.

We found a single 4311 many years ago and were able to modify it so it could sit sideways, with the attenuators and JBL badge still at the top.

Charley Rummel
    Well, the Fender Bandmaster with the Baldwin cab is a pretty cool option...

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    Charley

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by MJC View Post
    Like Wiget has said, if you're sitting in the middle you don't HAVE to have a center speaker for movies. For DVD-A or SACD you will want 5 identical full range speakers.
    I have 5 L212s and 3 subs. The small sub is connected to the center L212 and the two sub1500s are connected to the sub out on the pre/pro thru a K2 amp. With this setup the 2 sub1500s are always on and the small sub is only on if the center is activated.
    I made my L/R mains into mirror image, this gives me a better soundstage for stereo. If I run 2 channel music thru the prologic decoder, activating the center channel, the soundstage collapes.

But a movie like "We Were Soldiers" with 5.1 DD, the sound was much better with the center channel on, as apposed to sending the center info to the L/R speakers.

The better your pre/pro or receiver the better your system will perform. I think I'm going to get a Lexicon pre/pro, a big upgrade to the Marantz receiver I'm using as a pre/pro.
    Ideally if the pink noise sounds the same when it cycles from (depending on the AVR it might start from left or start from right) point is the tone should sound the same when it leaves left and sound on centre then right and then left surround and right surround.

Its not easy in most cases to get the tone to sound the same even with matching speakers that (are spaced over the front in different locations) as long as they are placed at the same height level that should take care of some of the issues.

EQ it can ether take minutes (with some automatic EQ like Audyssey) or hours that leads into days with basic PEQ to get the channels to sound the same.

I know what the mix sounds like on “We Were Solders” I’ve listened to it plenty of times.

There is one moment were there’s a (circle dialogue pan) that moves around along with the camera as Gibson’s character Lt. Col. Hal Moore, evaluates the situation, the radio operator’s voice goes from centre to right along the sidewall surround arrays and over to centre back surround arrays its so confusing as its got bullets whizzing though the air explosions in the background yelling and shouting. (Chapter 14, time 01:34:56 to 01:35:26) - Hastings! -“Broken Arrow!”

Also you have to remember with DOLBY STEREO pro-logic (4.2.4 matrix) its always going to create a large degree of crosstalk with centre front which isn’t a true discrete front nor is the matrix surround as that has crosstalk coming off from the front left and right often sometimes a small degree of dialogue is heard on the matrix monaural surround.

The pro-logic has its pros and cons if you know how to tame to the beast.

It as advantages with creating extra channels in diy custom surround set-up and its been used in the professional field with DOLBY-EX only limited it’s a shame studios haven’t encoded enough on the rear extra channel (and that has nothing to do with centre back surround) that channel is the same as the centre front if reversed around the other way.

Most AVR don’t have the matrix rear surround which Dolby labs kinder screwed up themselves when allowing there so called DOLBY-EX out on the market place some 9 years ago, now.

Any DOLBY Pro-logic decoder can be mated with the surround outputs just like the professional layout in cinemas, its no secret.

Thou I haven’t heard “We Were Soldiers” (2002) at the cinema that used the overheard matrix surround which was on limited engagement and I think only one cinema in the USA used it.

Sonic boom Todd-AO/Soundelux and Dolby labs experiment with Sonic Whole Overhead Sound
    http://www.smartdevicesinc.com/pdf/sonic_boom.pdf

I’ve fitted up a matching array of JBL control 1 around the room up x12 surrounds for matching all-around on the surround. When I look around chapter15 I hear crickets “I am surrounded!”

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Didya notice you just replied to a thread where the last post was from July 2004?
    Perhaps they've been waiting for 6 years for your answer?
    Or perhaps they've moved on over all these years and already found their answer ...

No flames, just amazed every time you dig up these old old threads to find someone to talk to ...
    No I’m just talking to a ghost thread. I thought I’d spark it, off with some afterlife.

Thread Information