Thread: Another JBl recone question.

Another JBl recone question.

Has anybody ever heard of JBL recone kits from a company in China. A recone shop, not the one I normally use, tells me they can get kits like these for half the price, and they are exactly the same! I said Phooey, If you aint got JBL, give me my woofers back! I say for half the price, you get half the sound!

But I havent heard of Chinese recone kits for JBL! Anybody?

Well you have to wonder. Some drivers are sourced there. But that doesn't mean the cones are. We have a factory in China but we source 90% of the materials. Finding a decent machine shop is hell. At least for our size business. JBL/Harmon is a big outfit so they may have set-up an OEM factory there. Labor/overhead is incredibly cheap. Enough so that it will cover your shipping costs for the raw materials the finished product and its still cheaper than doing it here.

Rob

It does make me wonder!

I keep hearing more about Chinese made JBL than ever before. I just feel that if I recone I want factory JBL kits. But what if they ( JBL ) do have a factory in China? Is this where its going now?

I do wonder though!

Thanks Rob.

Chinese JBL Cones?

Scott,

I heard that JBL hasn't made their own parts for quite a while and that since the early 80's they have outsourced their parts manufacturing. I have a pair of networks from some JBL 4612B Cabarets and the inductors ( the thing that looks like a small power transformer) are marked made in Mexico.

I've seen so many JBL aftermarket replace cones on the market, but I have yet to find one with a true edge wound aluminum voice coil like the original. Most have copper or aluminum clad copper coils.

If the recone kits from China have the aluminum voice coil and are at JBL specs why not give them a try - especially if the cost is much lower. Factory JBL recone jobs are expensive, and how do you know that the parts weren't made outside the US. After all, a lot of other things that we use are now made in China. Look at Japan. I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant junk. Now look at the Japaneese products; Toyota is on the verge of becomming the number one auto company.

I'm interested in posibly getting some of the Chinese cones. Let me know where I can get them Email me at Robnatgeo at AOL.com.

Thanks,

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin
    Has anybody ever heard of JBL recone kits from a company in China. A recone shop, not the one I normally use, tells me they can get kits like these for half the price, and they are exactly the same! I said Phooey, If you aint got JBL, give me my woofers back! I say for half the price, you get half the sound!

But I havent heard of Chinese recone kits for JBL! Anybody?

1) JBL factory recone kits are made and QC'd to JBL specifications so as to restore original performance.

2) If you buy aftermarket substitues, you have no way of knowing that the performance is equivalent.

3) Worse, JBL will lose its incentive to keep making the real deal available, and the Legacy will die.

4) Pay your dues. Support the JBL Heritage....

What Zilch is saying!

I 2nd the motion. When it no longer becomes profitable for JBL to make recone kits, we will only have the imitations which may leave us all wondering what happened. And we will be stuck with them

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    1) JBL factory recone kits are made and QC'd to JBL specifications so as to restore original performance.

2) If you buy aftermarket substitues, you have no way of knowing that the performance is equivalent.

3) Worse, JBL will lose its incentive to keep making the real deal available, and the Legacy will die.

JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by Zilch

I 3rd this and thouroughly agree with it.

IME, and Ive been through a few things, aftermarket cones almost never sound quite like the original manufacturers.

If you`ve got something good, and it works well, it just doesnt make sense to deviate from original spec parts.

The only time I would consider using aftermarket parts is if there are no original parts available, and I absolutely had to have the unit working, for buisiness reasons. Or, a manufacturer part upgrade!
    scottyj

Gary L
    "Made in China"?

Is this where they held our plane hostage on the tarmack and forced us to take it out in pieces after they discovered all of the military secrets within?

Don't want any of my money going there and avoid any company who does business where we are not welcome. Getting tougher every day but some principals will never die here.

Gary

Thread Information