Thread: BANG !!!!!!! (for the buck) ??

Question BANG !!!!!!! (for the buck) ??

I've never seen a similar thread, (but this is the only forum that I read) ....Soooo ,

I'm just a normal schmuck who has some discretionary money for audio, but there are other needs in life too...that said, I"m asking for answers from a like perspective...I know some of you have different reference points , (where $3,000 interconnects is no big deal) , but I want the schmuck viewpoint.

What I'm looking for is the audio gear ..anything..speakers, amp, TT, anything...that you consider to be a good product (works well / reliable ) and is usually undervalued.

ie: "Good bang for the Buck".

many here consider the L5/L7 as a fine product and undervalued...some of the Technics turntables are too. The Denon DL-103 is a prime answer to that question..I consider my BGW750D in that class too.

What speaker/amp/TT/cartridge/preamp/DAC/etc..., would qualify for you ????????
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

although I've let my subscription lapse....Stereophile magazine
    at $1.08 an issue-delivered stands out as good "bang for the buck"

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    although I've let my subscription lapse....Stereophile magazine
    at $12.95 for a year-delivered stands out as good "bang for the buck"
    Different strokes I suppose. I've thought that was a waste at any price.

Good Bang for the buck? Keep your eyes open and cash nearby. I've come up with some good stuff just being patient, diligent and lucky.

eso
    30Hz Bass Horns/K151, Custom mid bass & midrange horns/Cogent DS 1428 & 1448 field coil drivers, Fostex T925a tweeters.

I've never seen a similar thread, (but this is the only forum that I read) ....Soooo ,

I'm just a normal schmuck who has some discretionary money for audio, but there are other needs in life too...that said, I"m asking for answers from a like perspective...I know some of you have different reference points , (where $3,000 interconnects is no big deal) , but I want the schmuck viewpoint.

What I'm looking for is the audio gear ..anything..speakers, amp, TT, anything...that you consider to be a good product (works well / reliable ) and is usually undervalued.

ie: "Good bang for the Buck".

many here consider the L5/L7 as a fine product and undervalued...some of the Technics turntables are too. The Denon DL-103 is a prime answer to that question..I consider my BGW750D in that class too.

What speaker/amp/TT/cartridge/preamp/DAC/etc..., would qualify for you ????????
    There are a lot of (sleeper) audio components out there to be had, but whether we like it or not, at some point, we all have to spend a little more than we would like to. What i'm trying to say is, the components that you think are priced too high, are usually priced that way for a reason. The more serious you get about (nice sounding) audio, the more you will chase the higher end stuff. So the best advice i can give you, if you really love this hobby/pastime, is save and buy 1 piece of high end gear at a time, it may take a while to put a system together, but it will save you a lot of running and money in the long run. Hope this helps a little. Good Luck.

Older gear is sometimes amazing bang-for-buck material if it meets your needs. You usually have to give up things like PLIIx or auto EQ, etc.

However, if two-channel sound is important, some of the best two-channel analog comes from the Citation 7.0 and 5.0 pre/pros, which are 5.1 channel surround units with outdated surround capabilities. However, the master himself, Jim Fosgate was behind these designs, and his analog sections are superb.

Some folks could argue--successfully, I might add--that Fosgate's 6-Axis surround on the 5.0 is still the best surround matrix out there for five channels plus subs. I think the 5.0 is the only unit that has the full implementation of this.

I've seen these units languish on ebay and AudiogoN at crazy low prices, sometimes under $100.
    Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    However, if two-channel sound is important, some of the best two-channel analog comes from the Citation 7.0 and 5.0 pre/pros, which are 5.1 channel surround units with outdated surround capabilities. However, the master himself, Jim Fosgate was behind these designs, and his analog sections are superb.

Some folks could argue--successfully, I might add--that Fosgate's 6-Axis surround on the 5.0 is still the best surround matrix out there for five channels plus subs. I think the 5.0 is the only unit that has the full implementation of this.

I've seen these units languish on ebay and AudiogoN at crazy low prices, sometimes under $100.

thanx TD..that's the type of reply that I'm looking for.

Pre-owned vinyl records ...WOW..they are BftB ....a dollar or less and you own an album for the rest of your life (or longer) ...and if your hard drive dies,,,well the records are still there...and so much great "out of print" material , plus a pleasing sound & usually interesting covers/notes ...a WIN/WIN buy.

thanx TD..that's the type of reply that I'm looking for.

Pre-owned vinyl records ...WOW..they are BftB ....a dollar or less and you own an album for the rest of your life (or longer) ...and if your hard drive dies,,,well the records are still there...and so much great "out of print" material , plus a pleasing sound & usually interesting covers/notes ...a WIN/WIN buy.
    As a historical curiosity, Jim Fosgate constructed PLII and PLIIx entirely in the analog domain, then let Dolby Labs do the digital conversion. That's why the now-defunct Fosgate Audionics was able to produce 50 of the only analog Dolby PLII pre/pros ever made, the vacuum FAP-V1.

http://www.fosgateaudionics.com/products/FAP-V1.asp

I had a chance to buy one of these for around $3k, and like a dumb-ass I let it pass. It's not a bang-for-the-buck candidate, but it is one p-fine pre/pro.
    Out.

Dynaco

The brain child of David Hafler. These simple, but effective pieces are reasonably priced and offer tube and SS in many different formats. Here is the UNOFFICIAL DYNACO SITE,http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/ . I own several pieces and have had great fun with them. The one caveat is you need a good 'old timer' technician to check them out, if tube, before operation. There are also many upgrades out there (I haven't bitten yet) by Van Alstine, Curcio and others. I bought an ST-400 for $240 with shipping(my second one)http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=330398589774 and it needed a cleaning and a couple of caps.
    Last edited by JBLRaiser; 04-27-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: sp
    If Pro is the opposite of Con,
    then Progress is the opposite of Congress.

I built my system off of the B4TB philosophy. Here are some of my personal favorites in this category. Note that bang for the buck doesn't necessarily mean cheap. A $20 speaker that sounds like a $200 one has the same B4TB factor as a $200 speaker that sounds like a $2k one in my eyes. It's all relative to your budget.

JBL L1/3/4/7, 120/240Ti
    Yamaha PC2002/4002 Pro amps
    Dynaco tube amps (using Mark III's now)
    McIntosh SS analog tuners (MR74/77)
    Yamaha PX2/3 and PF800/1000 turntables
    Carver C1 preamp and TFM-series amps
    Pre-Alpine (1983) Luxman gear

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I built my system off of the B4TB philosophy. Here are some of my personal favorites in this category. Note that bang for the buck doesn't necessarily mean cheap. A $20 speaker that sounds like a $200 one has the same B4TB factor as a $200 speaker that sounds like a $2k one in my eyes. It's all relative to your budget.

JBL L1/3/4/7, 120/240Ti
    Yamaha PC2002/4002 Pro amps
    Dynaco tube amps (using Mark III's now)
    McIntosh SS analog tuners (MR74/77)
    Yamaha PX2/3 and PF800/1000 turntables
    Carver C1 preamp and TFM-series amps
    Pre-Alpine (1983) Luxman gear

jblnut
    also spent many an hour researching, reading, considering, pondering to build a HQ system on minimal dollars, your L series mention made me think to post on a slow night. Did spend a good buck on the AVR, DVD, and sub, but everything else someone else's discards....only way I could put together a HQ setup without getting divorced

L7 (FL/FR) $460
    L5 (BL/BR) $240
    EC35 (center) $150
    L8400P (sub) $600
    HK AVR354 $700
    Soundcraftsmen S800x2 for FL/FR ($200, $85)
    OPPO BDP83SE ($900)
    Performance Series 5.1/1990s L1.L5.L7/L100A
    http://adsoftheworld.com/media/tv/ac...cuses_tube_amp

Quote Originally Posted by eso View Post
    Good Bang for the buck? Keep your eyes open and cash nearby. I've come up with some good stuff just being patient, diligent and lucky.
    eso
    I guess that my question didnt get fully conveyed....there are lots and lots of UNREPEATABLE super deals out there ....the $10 L300's,, $50 10b etc..

those are pretty much "one off" flukes.....what I'm really asking about is market undervalued good reliable audio gear whose general going price is just way under its utilitarian value ??

the L1/3/5/7 is a great example...they just generally dont command the resale value commensurate with their utility.

Thread Information