Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Project 1400 Array's..

My Project 1400 Array's..

Have arrived. I am in the early stages of tax season and have no idea when I will set them up (tomorrow)! I am pumped. Pictures (sometime) to follow..

Finally. First off, unpacking and asssembling these alone is not recommended. The packages arrive with no damage. The driver actually helped me lug them up to the living room. At that point we had a discussion on things ranging from his "JBL record player" that he had in college-I think he meant some kind of "all-inclusive" design that perhaps had either cassete play or 8-track, to talk of equestrian activities with our daughters
    Besides using the supplied spikes for the bottom of the speakers( they will go on when I have a bit of help), they are up and running as I type.
    First impressions, with MY room, as is: They are waayy different than the S/2600's. The sweet spot with these is straight on, the S/2600 are everywhere....
    The bass is a lot bigger, midrange is superior, top end...well, with my Tannoy Supertweeter on the S/2600's, is up for futher listening before I will say anything more. The visual impression is stunning. They look great with my tiger wood flooring, non intrusive and really do look better in person.

I have been listening to a number of new sacd & redbook cd's-all sounding different than the other JBL. The speakers are beautiful and sound as advertised. I think, as with the S/2600's, it will take a while to get use to the clarity of the midrange and deeper bass, albiet with a diifferent presentation of the music.

More later.

Grats on your new speakers. I think they will bring you years of mucial joy.

-Tim
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Thanks, Tim.

Neat system!

Can't wait for the pics to be posted!

Regards, Ron
    JBL Pro for home use!

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    They are waayy different than the S/2600's. The sweet spot with these is straight on, the S/2600 are everywhere.....

I believe you were warned.

If you listen to music from a proper listening position, there should be no problem and the image will be noticeably more solid... if you use them more while you are walking around the house, you may find the imaging a bit disappointing.

Yes, they do look rather nice in person. Congratulations!

Pics please.

Widget

Congrats on a serious speaker system!

To add to what Widget said, he is right about the walking around, but OTOH, you MAY find yourself listening very hypnotically, from the spot these speakers TELL YOU TO BE IN!

Pics please, and ENJOY THEM!
    scottyj

Positioning of the horn

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post

I believe you were warned.

If you listen to music from a proper listening position, there should be no problem and the image will be noticeably more solid... if you use them more while you are walking around the house, you may find the imaging a bit disappointing.

Yes, they do look rather nice in person. Congratulations!

Pics please.

Widget
    Is that what dictates it's imaging footprint? And if so, did JBL have a particular reason in mind when they turned it up?

FWIW stereo image is the last thing on my mind if I'm walking round the house-what with ears on either side of my head 'n all
    I have a sofa roughly the same width as the speakers are spaced and either end of the sofa or the broad sweet spot in the middle they image fine.
    More vague and diffuse imaging never sounds great(in imaging terms) wherever you're seated to these ears but I can see and appreciate the room filling sound has its attractions.
    Cooky
    Enjoy your Arrays!

Well it did not take me long to get accustomed to these. They are awesome. The musical term I would use right now is clarity. As people say when listening to a new speaker, I can hear significantly more detail and decay of the instruments is beautifully produced. When I read those statements I was skeptical, however, after a few hours with these babies I have a sense of what they are hearing and understand.

I will post some pictures when I can get a camera-mine is with my wife in Florida. I am going to borrow one from my business partner.

My friend has a pair of B & W 803D and is mighty proud of them-I think he paid close to full retail which is around 9K. I think these Arrays sound better. ( We both have McIntosh )

I just finished listening to a track from Walter Becker(Steely Dan) called "Book of liars"---at about 1 watt it was just fantastic. WWOOWW.

Good job JBL & thanks again to all of you for your feedback & kind words.

I will post some pictures when I can get a camera-mine is with my wife in Florida. I am going to borrow one from my business partner.

I've found lacquered finish on the arrays reflects like a mirror and photgraphing them without taking a pic of yourself and the surroundings at the same time is not easy

My friend has a pair of B & W 803D and is mighty proud of them-I think he paid close to full retail which is around 9K. I think these Arrays sound better. ( We both have McIntosh )

Having now heard 4338's and a pair of Everest II's I would definitely say the Array 1400 images more precisely and with a far deeper soundstage than both of these. The Everests however were far more revealing in the lower frequencies, albeit with less deep slam than the Arrays.
    A friend of mine has B&W 801D's, a similar concept to the Arrays but without horns and although we have not done a direct comparison (both are too heavy to want to try) there is nothing between them in performance, differences yes but both are exceptional.

[IMG][/IMG]

Finally, we get another member into the Project Array Club! I'd include anyone who has any Array Series speakers, any DIY that uses the Array horn set, and SAM1HF owners. That makes maybe five or six of us?

Roll call!
    Out.

Well it did not take me long to get accustomed to these. They are awesome. The musical term I would use right now is clarity. As people say when listening to a new speaker, I can hear significantly more detail and decay of the instruments is beautifully produced. When I read those statements I was skeptical, however, after a few hours with these babies I have a sense of what they are hearing and understand.

I just finished listening to a track from Walter Becker(Steely Dan) called "Book of liars"---at about 1 watt it was just fantastic. WWOOWW.

Good job JBL & thanks again to all of you for your feedback & kind words.
    These words are essentially the same definitions as have been used to describe horn type systems for decades!

I, for one, happen to love the way they look as well.

scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Finally, we get another member into the Project Array Club! I'd include anyone who has any Array Series speakers, any DIY that uses the Array horn set, and SAM1HF owners. That makes maybe five or six of us?

Roll call!
    I'm not there yet... but I am teetering on the fence and will possibly join that club.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post

Roll call!
    That'll include me then

Thread Information