Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something wrong here with my 4343 mid-range?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Well, this was probably 10-15 years ago so my recollection may be off, but I thinkkkk I was told the surrounds were a JBL product. I do know that these guys (who I believe are gone now) were JBL pro dealers and the repairs were purdy darned pricey but I told them I wanted absolutely flawless results.

BTW as to the low end response question... I drove these in biamp mode, with a pair of Crown DC300As, and when I would periodically run a freq sweep just by ear they routinely rattled the dishes at 20Hz. So I'm gonna guess that if you have a lack of low end, it's not the speakers but what's feeding them
    Thanks again for this kind explanation. I turst you on this, Paul. I'm going to biamp soon, and I hope that will tell me some more about this response of mid-drivers.

I'm truly saddened to see by the most recent emails and pics that I was sent that one of the midranges was replaced I treated those speakers like children, not to be overly dramatic. I know I am essentially a non member here, but I've loved JBL since the 70s and still own them so it breaks my heart to see them mistreated and a new member apparently mislead... that's no way to perpetuate the heritage

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    So, I just trusted him because he's a senior member here.
    All that "senior member here" means is that person has passed the milestone of 100 posts....take a look - you are now a senior member too.. (101 posts)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    All that "senior member here" means is that person has passed the milestone of 100 posts....take a look - you are now a senior member too.. (101 posts)
    Oh, I didn't know this! Thanks for this unexpected reminder. I'm still a beginner in this long journey to audioland, so I'm just humbled. I just thought "a senior member" should do something befitting a "senior member", given his or her dedication and passion to this forum and consideration for forum members...

I can't seem to find a thread dealing with your purchase of this system, only a thread started by you asking to find a pair. Always a good idea for a novice to ask questions of the forum community before embarking on a major purchase of a vintage monitor. I know I relied on this group for their opinion on several systems before I took the plunge.

I'm sorry for your problems but it's not like you don't have the basic building blocks for a killer system. I hope you get there soon so you can enjoy it.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

. I just thought "a senior member" should do something befitting a "senior member", given his or her dedication and passion to this forum and consideration for forum members...
    I agree that this should be the premise in a forum such as this one, sorry that wasn't the case. Although I'm far from a regular contributor here, I can say that it is a great resource and full of ethical, helpful people...

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I can't seem to find a thread dealing with your purchase of this system, only a thread started by you asking to find a pair. Always a good idea for a novice to ask questions of the forum community before embarking on a major purchase of a vintage monitor. I know I relied on this group for their opinion on several systems before I took the plunge.

I'm sorry for your problems but it's not like you don't have the basic building blocks for a killer system. I hope you get there soon so you can enjoy it.
    Thanks for your interest and concern. Next time I'll do so as you've advised.
    This is my thread on this:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=4343+wanted

And this forum member sent me a PM, and that started it all just between me and him.
    As he sent me a PM, I just thought it's impolite and embarrassing to him
    for me to ask our forum members here through an open thread whether his asking price was legitimate,
    or his description of "in near mint condition" was right, as he explained to me.
    As I said, I just want to let bygones be bygones, and focus on getting the best sound out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    I agree that this should be the premise in a forum such as this one, sorry that wasn't the case. Although I'm far from a regular contributor here, I can say that it is a great resource and full of ethical, helpful people...
    That's why I turn to this forum at least a couple of times every day as a JBL lover.
    I get so much valuable insight and information from lots of members here, especially senior members.

Hi,

I've purchased my 4343 from a JBL senior member here recently, and has found only today that
    the cone and surrounds of mid-range 2121 on right and left speakers are somewhat different. This person said to me about this 4343, "Never a repair, all original", except for the surrounds. As I'm only a beginner, I didn't notice the difference between them at the time. Pls take a look at the photos attached. Can you check out the difference of the cone color, and the outer surrounds of the pair? And can this affect the mid-range sound of this pair? After listening to CDs or LPs, frankly I'm not sure about the difference at this point, though. Thanks for your feedback and advice in advance.
    It turns out that I was the reconer on the 2121 in the bottom image. The customer sent a JBL C8R2121 recone that he had acquired through an outside supply channel....But it IS an OEM JBL kit.

BTW, John...the glue line is not sloppy. The CP Moyen glue does not photograph very well with a flash since it's much a glossier finish than the good old black bostik from days of yore.

The top image is in fact an OEM JBL 2121 as well...with an incorrect surround and incorrect felt dust cap with a glue lip.

As was mentioned by Robh3606, OEM recone kits can vary in cosmetic appearance over the decades due to supplier variations to the factory. The variations can range from color to trim ring to cone hardness/softness...which will alter the sound characteristics. The only way to get a matched pair of OLD speakers is to recone in pairs.

BTW...no matter what anyone ever tells you...

The JBL Factory has NEVER supplied replacement foam surrounds for JBL Professional products.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    It turns out that I was the reconer on the 2121 in the bottom image. The customer sent a JBL C8R2121 recone that he had acquired through an outside supply channel....But it IS an OEM JBL kit.

BTW, John...the glue line is not sloppy. The CP Moyen glue does not photograph very well with a flash since it's much a glossier finish than the good old black bostik from days of yore.

The top image is in fact an OEM JBL 2121 as well...with an incorrect surround and incorrect felt dust cap with a glue lip.

As was mentioned by Robh3606, OEM recone kits can vary in cosmetic appearance over the decades due to supplier variations to the factory. The variations can range from color to trim ring to cone hardness/softness...which will alter the sound characteristics. The only way to get a matched pair of OLD speakers is to recone in pairs.

BTW...no matter what anyone ever tells you...

The JBL Factory has NEVER supplied replacement foam surrounds for JBL Professional products.
    Thanks, edgewound, for this valuable information I've been looking for. I think I have to give a serious thought to having them reconed sooner or later.

Thread Information