Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: No I don’t like the “new” site layout!

pt or px?

The change from pt to px is one of the "usual suspects." They are related as follows:
    px = pt*dpi/72
    where dpi (dots-per-inch) is the resolution (pixel density) of the device (screen, printer, etc.) you are using. Yours appears to be 96 dpi (or you may have set your system to 96 dpi). Hence you get
    px = 10*96/72 = 13 px (rounded).
    13 pixel look like 10pt on your screen. But on my screen (120 dpi) they don't. Solving for pt yields
    pt = px*72/dpi
    hence
    pt = 13*72/120 = 8 pt (rounded).
    There is a plethora of opinions and anecdotal wisdom on the internet, but

• The problem with px is that it gets you a different (physical) size depending on your screen's dpi, and it doesn't respond to changing the text size to "larger" in IE6 and probably below (which is why I switched to Firefox).
    • The problem with pt is that it doesn't respond to changing the text size in IE6 (but it gets you the same [physical] text size on any dpi).
    • The w3c recommends using the "em" instead of either px or pt (see http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/css2em.htm). The "em" is sort of a "relative" font size specification in that it refers to the default font size of the browser. 1em = 100% of the default font size. IE6 and IE7 appear to "hard-wire" this default to 12pt, while Firefox or Chrome users get to choose a default size (in pixels).

I forgot the default settings in Firefox or Chrome, as they are usually too small and thus are the first things I change. So... if you set the font size to 1em, the text may look larger than you want in IE and, at least with the default settings, smaller in FF or Chrome.

It's a bit of a mess with all the various browsers out there, which may explain the relative confidence in specifying things in pixels. Except that this gets some users a smaller physical font size, which is why I prefer pt or em in my CSS/html.

As to the actual typeface being used, this appears to be a glitch. I just displayed this thread in IE7 and FF3 side-by-side. IE shows your post in Tahoma, while FF in Verdana. Go figure... but don't lose any sleep over it.

Cheers
    Beat Stamm

Hi, Don...

I am still getting a false negative on login. After logging-in, it looks like I'm not, but if I click on the LH logo, I in-fact, am. It's a mere cosmetic bug, but misleading (I guess that's redundant). Otherwise, all working well!

bo

Too much white space around the avatar

I hope others have commented on this. The member's small picture (avatar?) is used as to frame their forum posting. This leaves a blank border at top and sites of the post creating lots of white space. Consequently the posts now extend for several pages instead of being compact. White space may be free but I get bored clicking the page forward control.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andrew View Post
    The member's small picture (avatar?) is used as to frame their forum posting. This leaves a blank border at top and sites of the post creating lots of white space. Consequently the posts now extend for several pages instead of being compact. White space may be free but I get bored clicking the page forward control.
    Sorry! I'll be sure to write more to fill up the space.

The good news is sig lines are now at the bottom without entering extraneous text/symbols to add additional lines.

Have you tried changing your settings to make your page hold more messages? It's under "thread display options". The default seems to be 20 post per page. You can choose up to 100, if you want, though the page may load more slowly.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    Hi, Don...

I am still getting a false negative on login. After logging-in, it looks like I'm not, but if I click on the LH logo, I in-fact, am. It's a mere cosmetic bug, but misleading (I guess that's redundant). Otherwise, all working well!

bo
    Unfortunately, I can't replicate this on the number of computers and software/browser versions I have tried. Nonetheless, there continue to be posts on the Vbulletin forum listing login problems that others are experiencing. The problem is that each one seems different and no one solution has come forward as an ultimate fix.

I'll keep monitoring that forum to see if something breaks on this issue.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Andrew View Post
    I hope others have commented on this. The member's small picture (avatar?) is used as to frame their forum posting. This leaves a blank border at top and sites of the post creating lots of white space. Consequently the posts now extend for several pages instead of being compact. White space may be free but I get bored clicking the page forward control.
    Known VB4 issue. Hopefully a fix is in the works.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

JBL 4645
    Don

So how came we can’t have a (profile picture) as well?

Quote Originally Posted by JBL 4645 View Post
    Don
    So how came we can’t have a (profile picture) as well?
    We have the Avatar picture already -
    just how many pictures do you need to load your posts with, anyway?

Really, lets keep it to one personal image per post -
    plus whatever attachments are used to display the gear or the tech being discussed.

If there are too many images added to each posting, the site slows down like crazy - its like spamming your friends - and not really a good thing for conversation.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    We have the Avatar picture already -
    just how many pictures do you need to load your posts with, anyway?

Really, lets keep it to one personal image per post -
    plus whatever attachments are used to display the gear or the tech being discussed.

If there are too many images added to each posting, the site slows down like crazy - its like spamming your friends - and not really a good thing for conversation.
    Because Sooty wants his own profile picture, because it makes him feel good.

So how come you have a profile picture then?

I’ve gone to the CPU settings and it looks inactive to me.

I’ve looked at the other hard-core LHF members profiles and they don’t seem to have profile picture, expect you.

Profile picture is at the top avatar is located at the bottom.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So go load one already - what's stopping you?
    On the TOP RIGHT of the USER profile page is a link called SETTINGS -
    go into SETTINGS and add your profile picture.

If you take the time to dig through my settings for all this diddly little stuff,
    certainly you could have found it on your own - sheesh!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    So go load one already - what's stopping you?
    On the TOP RIGHT of the USER profile page is a link called SETTINGS -
    go into SETTINGS and add your profile picture.

If you take the time to dig through my settings for all this diddly little stuff,
    certainly you could have found it on your own - sheesh!
    Yeah I’ve already looked at it about an hour ago and unless I’m sort sighted because I didn’t see it checked or other?

Maybe I haven’t contributed enough to the site.

Been meaning to gripe about this for a while.

Links in posts are the same color as text, so it's impossible to spot a link. this should be a pretty simple adjustment to change colors for links and active links.

It is possible to move the mouse cursor over the text in the thread when the text says: www...something.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Been meaning to gripe about this for a while.

Links in posts are the same color as text, so it's impossible to spot a link. this should be a pretty simple adjustment to change colors for links and active links.

Thumbs up

It is refreshing to see the site updated. It is coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolf View Post
    It is possible to move the mouse cursor over the text in the thread when the text says: www...something.
    How about just something?

gotcha.

Thread Information