Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: No I don’t like the “new” site layout!

I deleted nothing and didn't dump the cache. All I had to do was to click "What's New?" and I was logged in, I then logged out, and logged in again. From that point I've been logged in automatically every time I've visited.

I'm on a Mac running Firefox 3.6.2.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Site is getting back to normal ...

Cool - one thing - I see the global menu buttons - but I think the order is off ...
    It should be left to right - from the homepage inward, as you drill down into the site ...
    You could even make a new Button called Donate!

So the buttons should be something like:
    Main Website (homepage) | Library | Photo Gallery | Forum | What's New

Just my thought, from an ergonomics /transitional perspective ...

Just to clarify - I'm using OS X 10.6.3 with Firefox 3.6.3
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie
    All forum upgrades are now complete. The Photo Gallery just has been upgraded and appears to be fully functional. It must be noted that the gallery is no longer accessed as a forum catagory. Instead, there is a tab near the top right of the page that provides access.
    :dont-know I sure don't see it. And x2 on the "Donate" button. Where'd it go?

Oops! There it is now (the photo gallery link), but not at the "top right". Instead it's at top left next to "Library". Thanks!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

This may have been said already--I don't have time to read this whole thread--but we should try to lose the "similar threads" feature in the marketplace forums. It calls up out-of-date threads.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    This may have been said already--I don't have time to read this whole thread--but we should try to lose the "similar threads" feature in the marketplace forums. It calls up out-of-date threads.
    Push the "ignore" button in your mind? It's actually sort of useful in other forum topic areas, as much as computer search can make it. Certainly useful for those who may not be taking advantage of the "search" function...

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Hi Bo

In case you are not aware, the login issue you were experiencing should be fixed for you. However, for the fix to work, you must delete all old forum cookies. Instructions for doing this are here:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post286496

Let me know if you are still having problems.
    What of Google chrome? Now does that not delete the cookies automatically? Haven't had any performance issues with logging in and out. Then again I stay logged in 24/7

Least you have the donate function back up! I haven’t looked at the latest photo gallery, to see if that is back up and running.

Edit: 2 minutes later... Oh, I guess the photo gallery is still under maintenance as its missing from the main forum page.

JBL 4645
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    :dont-know I sure don't see it. And x2 on the "Donate" button. Where'd it go?

Oops! There it is now (the photo gallery link), but not at the "top right". Instead it's at top left next to "Library". Thanks!
    What! What is this Ping-Pong ball? It’s at the top of the page.

I’m blind as bat.

Edit: That’s great up and running and smoothly as before.

Cool I love it!

Thanks for putting all the hard work in to keep the site safe Don!

It's been an uneventful upgrade from this end, I have been seeing small things, that seem to go away after awhile, but nothing major. I think it's all coming together now, I've adapted to change!. Remarkable, I thought that was no longer possible...

The only thing I miss is the way the Quick Navigation button (Bottom Right of page) works. It used to take you back to the forum you were currently in with one click, now it takes two.

No biggie, but maybe it's a setting that can be changed?
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

JBL 4645

Now doesn’t this blank icon have the means of adding an image to it, to indicate the type of forum page?

The site needs some symbols pictures to fill them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Don McRitchie View Post
    Hi Bo

In case you are not aware, the login issue you were experiencing should be fixed for you. However, for the fix to work, you must delete all old forum cookies.

Let me know if you are still having problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    I deleted nothing and didn't dump the cache. All I had to do was to click "What's New?" and I was logged in, I then logged out, and logged in again. From that point I've been logged in automatically every time I've visited.
    Got it - thanks!

The old colours - I'm pleased.
    Logging in is just fine.

Peter

Quick Navigation button (Bottom Right of page & return of "Send Email button"

Quote Originally Posted by 4343 View Post
    Thanks for putting all the hard work in to keep the site safe Don! I miss the way the Quick Navigation button (Bottom Right of page) worked. It used to take you back to the forum you were currently in with one click, now it takes two. maybe it can be changed?
    herki:
    Me too, I get hopelessly lost navigating some of the new features.

Also, just above our avatar, we had a reliable:"send Email button," from which it was possible to retrieve the complete URL of the subject thread & post at hand for reference in PM 's or other new posts. Any chance to retrieve this valuable "Send Email Button?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Clicking User ID here presented optional buttons including "Send Email" etc.

herki the cat
    Join DateJune 2009
    Location woodbury nj
    Posts127

I've re-enabled the send email function, which I guess must have been reset during the upgrade. However, if what you want is to get the address of a specific post, there is an easier way. Just move your mouse over the post number which is at the extreme right on the black bar at the top of each post. Right click while over this number and choose "copy shortcut". You can then paste this into any application or response.

The quick navigation issue is a bug. I've confirmed this on the Vbulletin forum. Clicking in the center of the box is supposed to take you to the displayed forum and not open the drop down box. Opening the drop down box is supposed to be actioned by clicking on the down arrow. The hope is that the next point release will fix this, but it has existed through the last couple of updates without being addressed.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Default Font & Default Font Size?

Thanks for all the hard work Don. I'm sure this wasn't all fun.

The first thing I noticed with the new layout is the combination of font and font size. Looking at a previously saved thread we got 10 pt Verdana, now it seems to be down to 8 pt Tahoma. This is on the small size for older eyes. Moreover, Tahoma italic doesn't exit. Windows will happily "make it up" but this creates characters that lean too much forward, making it harder to read. Granted, I can "zoom in" to make the font size larger, but this doesn't fix Tahoma "italic."

Any reason for changing to 8 pt Tahoma?

The font specification in VB4 has changed from point size to pixel size. This is to be in conformance with internet standards where the text based point size is really inappropriate.

I don't fully understand the difference other than the fact that point size is meant for printed text, where 1 point is 1/72" and 1px is exactly 1 pixel high on a display monitor. What's not clear to me is how pt translates to px on a monitor They are definitely not one for one.

The old version specified a 10pt font whereas the new version specifies a 13px font. On my monitor, 10pt Veranda and 13px Veranda display as the exact same size under IE8. I don't know why they don't on your display. I have checked with a number of different programs that allow the display of px or pt specified fonts, and 13px fonts are definitely identical to 10pt fonts in all of these programs on my display.

Update: Right now I am accessing the site from a computer running XP and IE6. The font on the forum displays as exactly the same size as the 10pt Arial used in the Windows system setting.
    Regards

Don McRitchie

Thread Information