Thread: Boxing the JBL E110

Boxing the JBL E110

Hey, Z-man, Rob and others with BassBox Pro or similar. I could use some help sizing a box for a single E110 to take full (or nearly full) advantage of its lower frequency limit--its FAR is about 55. Use will be for keyboard, guitar and voice.

I'm also exploring using four of them in a single omni-directional enclosure. The drivers would be facing in the four directions with a slight upward tilt to their axes. I know the 4680 was about 5 cu. ft., but don't know what the porting was. Anybody have a notion what acoustic coupling would do with such a configuration?

Thanks,

David

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    I know the 4680 was about 5 cu. ft., but don't know what the porting was. Anybody have a notion what acoustic coupling would do with such a configuration?
    Yeah, it was the savior of that system.

Correcting my ambiguity

Actually, by "such a configuration" I meant the four drivers at 90 degrees physical orienttion to each other.

RIP 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave
    I'm also exploring using four of them in a single omni-directional enclosure. The drivers would be facing in the four directions with a slight upward tilt to their axes.
    That reminds me - back in the 80's, when I was working at Hard Truckers Speakers, I built a special custom cabinet as per Bob Weir's request. It had four 12" speakers evenly arrayed in a semicircle for 180 degree coverage. They were also slightly angled up. The darn thing looked like a frog sitting on stage, ... he didn't end up using it too much, (though I still think the concept was a good one...).

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnaec
    That reminds me - back in the 80's, when I was working at Hard Truckers Speakers, I built a special custom cabinet as per Bob Weir's request. It had four 12" speakers evenly arrayed in a semicircle for 180 degree coverage. They were also slightly angled up. The darn thing looked like a frog sitting on stage, ... he didn't end up using it too much, (though I still think the concept was a good one...).

John

NO FROGS!

BB6P Suggested:

HiFi (Red)
    0.834 cuft.
    67.2 Hz Tuning
    1 x 3" @ 2.626"
    F3= 90.98 Hz
    Xtended Bass (Blue)
    1.448 cuft.
    58.53 Hz Tuning
    1 x 3" @ 1.056"
    F3=77.87 Hz
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thank you, Mr. Zed.

Obsolete

Optional Homework Assignment for Extra Credit

Try both and tell us which works better for you.

Cool E-110 in cabaret 4602B

[QUOTE=speakerdave]Hey, Z-man, Rob and others with BassBox Pro or similar. I could use some help sizing a box for a single E110 to take full (or nearly full) advantage of its lower frequency limit--its FAR is about 55. Use will be for keyboard, guitar and voice…]

I have several cabaret 4602B (stock is with an E-120H and 2402H crossed @3khz, volume of 1.5 cu ft) - I periodically swap the E-120 for an E-110 (cutout adapter) with a paper dome (I have a 2nd E-110 with a stock aluminum dome but it isn't needed with the tweeter, the paper dome tames the high end).

I use it with a 7 string guitar (jazz), with a low B.

The perceived low end (in direct A/B tests) is actually slighly better with the E-110 than the E-120. This may be counter intuitive but it is true. [It could be the box is closer to optimum for the the 10 than the 12.]

The perceived sensitivity is essentially indistiguishable except for the high mids in the E-120 (aluminum dome?).

The E-120 does have another 3db in output to go and the E-110 with a low B full tilt (a relative concept, I am speaking of an archtop jazz guitar) looks like it is being tortured but I actually prefer it over the 12 (not to mention the 8lbs saving on my back).

This is a revelation because I have had them (a pair of E-110s) for 25 years but never liked them in an open back cab (and never found the correct closed back configuration).

I recently acquired a 2123H, an interesting speaker with incredible output but the low end is compromised; the E-110 is the keeper for the guitar.

I barely recognize this world where JBL doesn't make a guitar speaker.

Thanks for that insight from practical experience, hiQ.

(and welcome to the forum)

Thread Information