Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scoopers

Yes it was corner model.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cogley View Post
    The C43 theatre scoop cabinet (and the home versions) were originally designed in the 50s for the D130.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image.../c34/page2.jpg
    The 4520 was developed in the early 1960s as JBL started to move into Pro sound.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-4520-SPEAKER...item3eff6ccce4

Here is an unusual pair of 4520 scoops.
    Something looks wrong with those, like if they were smaller, or maybe it's the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    Ahh ok,

you`re right, the mouth of one 4520 is allready bigger than two 4530.... I didnt thought so, but you named it!

Best wishes,
    Olaf
    Actually no, that's not what I said. I said the mouth of the 4520 is higher but narrower than two 4530.
    The mouth of the 4520 is 5650 cm² while the 4530 is 3078 cm², so theorically two 4530 have a bigger mouth but... How this translate into sound I can't tell, the horn is longer on the 4520 and it's one horn and one mouth, not two 4530 side by side so maybe it's better... I couldn't say.

I guess a side by side test would be the solution to this answer

Yes! But not an easy thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.db View Post
    I guess a side by side test would be the solution to this answer
    Unless someone want to build a 4520 & 2 4530s.

I took my scoops out of my system. The upper midbass did not sound that good so a friend and I broke out the measuring stuff and between 50 and 160hz they were rather ragged. Many peaks and dips. Then we stuffed pillows up into the scoop and it smoothed it out rather well but the 80hz midbass was gone. I think there is interference between the back loaded horn and the face of the woof. They are cool looking though and have very large bass, just not as clean as I'd like for near field listening. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by djnagle View Post
    I took my scoops out of my system. The upper midbass did not sound that good so a friend and I broke out the measuring stuff and between 50 and 160hz they were rather ragged. Many peaks and dips. Then we stuffed pillows up into the scoop and it smoothed it out rather well but the 80hz midbass was gone. I think there is interference between the back loaded horn and the face of the woof. They are cool looking though and have very large bass, just not as clean as I'd like for near field listening. Cheers.
    One question, HOW did you have your scoops set up? STANDING upright, or laying on its side? If you have the scoops on it's side, YES there are phase problems. However, standing upright ameliorates the phase cancellation, and these cabinets can sound very good, and clean, depending on the driver and amp used, etc! I use my double 18in 2240H loaded scoops upright. I know it is NOT what we would call an ACCURATE sound, BUT man, they sound great. I have down through the years, listened to other engineers and tried to use PROPER subwoofer cabinets, to no avail. I just LIKE what the scoops do, PUNCHY KICK, and low end growl.

Of course, scoops are considered "entertainment system" cabinets, and MY system IS an entertainment system.
    scottyj

Hi Scott, They are standing upright. I have 2225 woofs and drive them with a 50wpc Adcom SS amp. I now have the JBL Altec A7 looking front loaded horn cabs (can't remember the number) and they kick like mules compared to the scoops.

Altec VOTT horns do kick, I use them also. I use 815A,s and 817A,s on top of my 2240 loaded scoops. The projectivity of front horn loading is outstanding.

Nagle, have you ever tried using your VOTT horns as midbass component, and your scoops as the subwoofer component? EVEN though the scoop is NOT a true sub, it works and has a sound all it's own!
    scottyj

Scotti:
    Have you ever posted pics of your business? I would love to see the system. I live in Westchester NY.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Scotti:
    Have you ever posted pics of your business? I would love to see the system. I live in Westchester NY.
    AFTER THE 4TH OF JULY, I will post pics. Right now I am doing a brand new lightshow on the center island of the bumper cars, and sound upgrades too!

I want to wait till after I have completed the lighting displays to post more pics. THIS new lighting display is going to be KILLER! 4 moving yoke beams, 4 UFO wheels on moving yokes, 16 LED color bars, and 16 LED color tubes, LED rotating beacons, and the LED technology we have now is BRIGHT! Matter of fact, I bought four moving yoke beam fixtures, and originally I wanted units that use either the 250 watt MSD lamp, OR the new Phillips 5R lamp, and instead I got fixtures that use a sixty watt hi intensity LED. The 60 watt LED has the same output as the 250 watt MSD discharge lamp, BUT none of the heat, and a life expectancy of 50,000 hours as compared to 3000 hours on the 250 watt MSD lamp. Color temp is 5600K, So it is BRIGHT and white light and has clarity and makes good colors with rich saturation. Mostly, though, the new technology we have available now WORKS!

Sound system is getting NEW TAD 1601b fifteens, replaces the TAD 1603,s! I have four of them in already, they sound simply amazing. And it's the same cone and VC as the 1603, but an alnico magnet, vs a ferrite magnet. THERE REALLY IS A BIG DIFFERENCE SONICALLY! The 1601b is SO CLEAN! And the presence, WOW, I hear every little detail, notes have attack and decay, and the low end is so defined and utterly clean, these are pure joy to listen to!

So, after the upgrades are completed, I will take and post pics, and thanks for asking.

scottyj

paragon

I used the 2205A and the K145 in the 4530. There is no difference in the low bass response off the horn.
    In 1978i used a very cheap high Qts Becker 915 A 17 (?) and there was more low and mid bass response than the low Qts JBL 2205A i think.
    4530 standing in the corner you will get response down to 50-40 Hz. 4520 will go 10 Hz lower.

Thread Information