Thread: triple 2213H cabinet help

triple 2213H cabinet help

I have been a long and happy owner of a set of 123a-1 woofers, and wanted to get more of that sound. Now I have the opportunity to buy six 2213h woofers.
    What would be an optimal cabinet size for three 2213h speaker? I want to use them with a set of JBL 2445 drivers on 2385 horns.
    Best regards
    Vernb

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    I have been a long and happy owner of a set of 123a-1 woofers, and wanted to get more of that sound. Now I have the opportunity to buy six 2213h woofers.
    What would be an optimal cabinet size for three 2213h speaker? I want to use them with a set of JBL 2445 drivers on 2385 horns.
    Best regards
    Vernb

Short answer- HUGE! The high Qts of this driver (.5 or so) means it's happiest in a large sealed box application. With 6 of them, you might consider using either an open or an infinite baffle setup. A "Proper" sealed box would be about 15 cubic feet with stuffing. Per trio.

Hmm..Let me fantasize. One bass enclosure using two woofers in triple chamber configuration for the 20Hz - 60Hz range, and the other in sealed enclosure for better transient.

at the monemt my 123a-1 are in 1 each in a sealed cabinet of 120litres. Bass response is perfect

This is my project for the summer, I have enough components to make three of those for an LCR setup, with a modified shape and layout for the center obviously

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ome-L100-parts

Quote Originally Posted by Eaulive View Post
    This is my project for the summer, I have enough components to make three of those for an LCR setup, with a modified shape and layout for the center obviously

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ome-L100-parts
    Great idea. can't wait to hear your impressions. I would make the cabinet slightly wider though. Those woofers really like BIG cabinets

now with 8 (eight) JBL 2213H woofers

Yesterday I managed to pick up another set, so that now I have 8 JBL 2213h woofers and two 123a-1 woofers.
    But the extra set was in a pair of JBL 4311 with cabinets in miserable condition.
    So I have a pair of LE5-10 mids for sale now

might use the eight 2213h woofers for LF only 20-200hz and the 123a-1 for mids up to the 2445 drivers 200-1000hz

With four bass drivers per cabinet, it would interesting to contemplate using them in isobaric configuration to save 50% of the volume. Otherwise, each cabinet with 4 woofers will four times as big as one regular cabinet. With four 2213h in isobaric configuration, you get the output of two woofers, but also only the required volume for two woofers.

Drivers are installed in pairs, face to face in push-pull configuration. Doubling their strength.

8 JBL 2213h woofer - ported or closed?

Now I have my 8 JBL 2213H woofers, and I have made arrangements for 4 cabinets of 60x45x80cm = 216 litres per 2 woofers.
    Now would you guys recommmend 2 woofers to share the 216 litres in a closed cabinet or divide each cabinet into 108 litres for each in a ported/vented cabinet?

the obvious reason for divided cabinets would be the possibility of changing woofers to different kinds, but on the other hand I know I love the 2213H and with 8 of them there is no great risk of me overloading them.

I assembled my 2445 drivers with 2" to 1.5" adaptors to my 8-cell horns yesterday. Pictures will follow soon. I haven't heard them yet and don't know how well 2" exit drivers will sound on 1.5" mouth horns....have always used 2" on 2" and 1" on 1" before...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    With four bass drivers per cabinet, it would interesting to contemplate using them in isobaric configuration to save 50% of the volume. Otherwise, each cabinet with 4 woofers will four times as big as one regular cabinet. With four 2213h in isobaric configuration, you get the output of two woofers, but also only the required volume for two woofers.

Drivers are installed in pairs, face to face in push-pull configuration. Doubling their strength.
    I don't have any isobaric experience, and I do like to show off all my 8 woofers

Maybe OB then ?

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    I don't have any isobaric experience, and I do like to show off all my 8 woofers

You can get the distortion cancellation by simply mounting them with half the magnets facing outwards and inverted polarity in the wiring of those compared to those with the cones facing out. You might consider a giant offset bipole configuration- one pair of woofers on the front, at one height, and another on the rear, at another height. Mimic this with the mids/tweets. If you match directivity between drivers, you can get a very nice controlled room interaction.

up and running

but with some starting trouble:

I use Altec Lansing 1269 and JBL/UREI 6260 poweramps, a JBL ASC24 actice crossover, Audio Research LS-2B preamp and DENON DN-961 cdplayer. Running balanced XLR all the way thorough. But with the ARC LS2B the JBL ASC24 humms like if there is a mayor ground or shielding problem. If I switch to a UREI 525 the problem has gone away, and if I take out the LS2B and insert any other non-tube, none-balanced preamp I have, the problem also goes away....???

Name:  DSC_0188 (Medium).JPG
Views: 1644
Size:  45.8 KB

as you can see (a better picture will come soon), I use dual JBL 2213H in a 200litre sealed cabinet. 2445 drivers on 8-cell horns (diecast alu, not welded plate like Altec), and a couple of EV ST-350 supertweeters on JBL N8000/3106 x-overs.
    Name:  DSC_0107 (Small).JPG
Views: 1474
Size:  36.5 KB

I have another set of cabinets waiting for new baffles for the other two JBL 2213H drivers. I hope they will ad the last bit of punch I am looking for. Though I am still thinking about reflexports for all 8 drivers. It seems they do sound better IMO reflexloaded.

Thread Information