Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust Cap Glue Line

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    David Hobbs doing the F1 commentary...
    Very funny guy. Sat with him once and watched him fall off a bar stool, pick himself back up, and continue with his story right from the spot where he'd passed out! Amazing, too, that he's usually doing the F1 commentary from a studio watching it on the "Telly".

However, I'm more familiar with the phrase as "Bob's your uncle." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    However, I'm more familiar with the phrase as "Bob's your uncle." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle
    A nod's as good as a wink...

So how about those dust caps!

Widget

Well they have played all day. If they should come loose the solution is straight forward enough.

I appreciate the answers to the original question as I have only done four caps previously, with a little more glue.

I also appreciate the fun with you all!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That's the phrase we've been alluding to, with a few auntys and nephews thrown in to keep them off our trail.

Obsolete
    With dustcaps one should probably sweep from 200 to 300 Hz and listen for them to buzz. If they don't buzz then there is enough glue. The input voltage differs depending on the driver and it isn't meek.

While I like thin glue lines these examples look a wee bit too thin for my personal taste.

Also remember that the glue is part of Mms... one probably shouldn't skimp on VLF and LF transducers. Grams matter.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    That's the phrase we've been alluding to, with a few auntys and nephews thrown in to keep them off our trail.
    Oh I get it—Email humor!

Always a dicey proposition deprived of the nuance of human interaction.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

For what it's worth, at JBL, we would set a speaker pole piece on top of the dome while the glue dried.

Thanks Harvey, and 4313B !

Wisdom is priceless, I'll give them a fillet line of glue around the joint
    Thank you Harvey and 4313B.

How this all got started with me is I have a pair of LE8TH's with a perfect clear glue line against the edge of the aluminum dust cap and I was always impressed by the skill of the unknown person that performed the work.

When I performed my first recone (my fabulous instructor, you know who you are) we used instant adhesive. Later I wanted to try the Moyen as it has a different look (that I like) and noticed that it soaked into the corner where the cap meets the cone a bit unevenly if you look closely. So I thought
    well next time I will lay down a very thin bead, let it dry and then lay a slightly wider bead that would hopefully settle and dry very evenly. It does.

Thanks for the advise all, I left the 2123's thin, did the 2234's a little wider. I used a spray can for a dust cap weight.

Again, thanks guys.

dust cap replacement

so...I pulled out the 6 JBL2202Hs I had in storage, and somehow managed to putz up the dust cap on one. Can I carefully remove it, and then get a replacement and reglue it?
    I know all too well to practice my technique more than once b4 gluing, but exactly how do I remove the old dust cap w/o messing up the cone (tearing the cone along the glue line), or damaging the vc gaps etc.
    As far as an identical replacement, speakers plus or who?
    I posted the pic of the one which is damaged. I cant believe it, as I was SO careful in storing these.

Gotta believe it was the movers when we moved here to Newburgh, as I'd never have left marks on the cone like that.

I'd also thought of getting my vacuum pump out, and then making an adapter from a lab funnel, fitting it around the cap and seeing if i could pull it out; problem is you'll see the crease lines no matter what, best approach would seem to be a new dust cap. someone who's done this particular fix help me out pls.
    Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

It appears yours are glued with instant adhesive. If it is when you scratch at it lightly with something sharp it will be very hard and impenetrable. If that's the case I cut the dust cap at the glue line with a new exacto knife. You have no choice but to leave what's left on the cone. Set the new cap in place and trim as needed at the lead bumps and glue the new one right on top of the old ring.

If it is glued with the softer Moyen you can carefully soak the cap loose, with toluene or MEK, roll the remaining glue off in little balls with your fingers and put another in it's place or just cut it as well.

Any JBL reconer can get you the correct cap.

I've managed to repair of few with a vacuum cleaner hose. It often helps to spray a bit of water on the dome to soften it (slightly) before or if it won't come out otherwise. On the ones I've done I can't tell them from the undamaged ones now. Certainly worth a try.

Cool +1 on the water + vac

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    I think is was George Bernard Shaw or Oscar Wilde who said we are "two nations separated by a common language"
    Right!

"Americans think 100 years is a long time, Brits think 100 miles is a long distance..."

To quote a chap in Hants, when asked how to get to Stonehenge: "Dunno, never been there." Turned out it was about 3 hours by train (1 hour spent waiting at a station), plus 10 minutes by taxi...
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

good idea!

I'll try the water and the vacuum, you're right, as I dont have much to lose by trying it.
    Integra DHC80.1,3x 4636LF, 2360-2446J 2404H,12 x 8340 Surrounds, 2 x4645B, BGW 250D's,250E's,& 750B's 16 amps...7600 watts

Thread Information