Thread: Amp(s) To Biamp XPL-200A

Amp(s) To Biamp XPL-200A

I plan to biamp my XPL-200A's, passively at first, and eventually actively (As soon as I can get or fab a DX-1 LOL).

Currently not able to even use them until I finish a home remodel, but was able to use Carver TFM amps for a while. Results were very good, but I'd like to get input from forum members, especially those who have had the 200's, on amps to get the most I can out of them.

My initial thought is to vertically biamp them or possibly a 400 x 5 Sunfire. Those domes and tweets really are as good as others have said, so maybe the top should be different from the bottom.

Budget initially is in the $1000 range, but could always save and trade my way up the amp ladder for something really special.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

I don't think that the XPLs are picky about amps. I started bi-amping with a Belles 200 on top (100wpc solid state) and a Belles 250 (125wpc) on bottom.
    Later I had a chance to upgrade so I switched for pair of Acurus A-250s. I couldn't claim that I heard any difference.

Vintage Yamaha

I'm using Yamaha's on mine.

An M-2 on the mids/highs and a PC-2602M on the lows

240 watts/channel and 260 watts/channel respectively is the 8 ohm rating of the amps, so it's actually a little more into the XPL-200A's.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking those domes and tweets might benefit with something special, but as has been mentioned by Mr. Dome they are pretty much plug and play. Can't wait to get them hooked up on a full time basis.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Paul View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking those domes and tweets might benefit with something special, but as has been mentioned by Mr. Dome they are pretty much plug and play. Can't wait to get them hooked up on a full time basis.
    I like them (Ti drivers) with a MOSFET amp, but YMMV.
    Out.

Been reading up a bit between work and hammering on my new home addition. From what I understand, MOSFETs have an open sound and a bit of warmth. That sounds like a good match for the titanium domes and tweets. I'm definitely intrigued. What amps did you use? It looks like there are some decent Hafler, Perreaux, and Soundcraftsman deals out there if you are patient.

With my recent score of spare parts I'm committed to the XPLs, at least until enough time goes on for Array's to drop into my bottom feeding budget.
    "Zobel is as zobel does"

Thread Information