Thread: 2425 driver: rip off the mesh cover??

2425 driver: rip off the mesh cover??

I just saw an advert for a 2425 driver on eBay and it had this photo with the label: "Pull to remove the perforated center before installing horn".

Now I have never seen a brand new driver before so am unsure about what they are talking about. The two secondhand ones I brought from eBay for my 4344s have a perforated 'disk' (like a wire mesh??) over the opening of the hole where the horn attaches. Is this what should be removed? or when new is there another layer over this for protection until ready for fitting.

jarrod
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nope

The perforated center is the gasket between the driver and horn throat. Initialy the gasket covers the entire throat and is perforated so only the center pops off when the tag is pulled.

Ken

Some people do remove the stainless steel wire mesh bug screen as they say it sounds better. I would rather keep the bugs out. I've cleaned out older drivers that I have found and it is amazing the generations of bugs that can be found nesting inside a compression driver!

Widget

Michael
    Hows the 4344 project going btw Jarrod?

Unhappy

Well I just took out those bug-screens... one was a finer mesh than the other and a bit dinged about. Maybe this will give better sound when all finished. (Widget, I'll send my drivers over for insect fumigation in a couple of years. hahahah)

As for progress - a picture is worth a thousand words..... (i'm still building my mosfet amps!)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Michael
    Damn nice collection there! Where were you able to get each part from?

Wow,

I bet you think about it night and day...what does wifey think?

Ian

Talking hahahahaha...

hmmmmm Well I guess I am very lucky guy; my wife is not like most I read about here..... the ones who want the 'boss' to move all his big noisy speakers down into the basement or to just downsize to something that is acceptable in a family lounge room. That is speakers must be able to be concealed under a lacy doily and yet be stable enough to support the 8” planter with the green foliage look.

My wife loves music and is of the opinion that size does matter with regard to speakers and power amp wattage. The bigger the better! Just one of the advantages of a wife that thinks exactly like a man (and strangely even looks like one - even anatomically correct!) eeeek!

Some good news.. my friend who is building the cabnets for me(owns a kitchen cabinet making business) has found some 25mm American Walnut vaneer MDF here in OZ. So hopefuly I will have some empty cabinets to fit out in the next few weeks. Bad news my shipment of some fittings and grill cloth from Parts Express came to Australia and then for some inexplicable reason was returned to sender by OZ-post!!!!! They have to reship it now... another 12 weeks delay... grrrrrrrr.....

-jarrod

2426 removal

With the bug screen in 2426, is the only method of removal to just grab and yank (without disassembling and poking from the diaphragm side)?

I'd like to preserve the screens for the future, but want to remove them (and use reticulated foam in their place, a la geddes) now.

I'd like to preserve the screens for the future, but want to remove them (and use reticulated foam in their place, a la geddes) now.
    You want to remove the screens and but foam down the throat??

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    You want to remove the screens and but foam down the throat??

Rob
    Yes, that's right. Series attenuation is probably about the same, if not slightly favoring the screen (less loss, where we want less loss), but HOM attenuation will be dramatically better with the foam. I don't know if you're familiar with Geddes work, but HOM reduction does seem to make a lot of sense as a goal in horns, and the screen makes getting the foam to where it's most effective (throat area) difficult. Since the foam protects the driver anyway, no sense doubling up on the protection.

I'll rephrase:

Is the only structure in the throat to retain the screen an indented ring to the periphery of the screen mounts into?

Thanks in advance.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by badman View Post
    I'll rephrase:

Is the only structure in the throat to retain the screen an indented ring to the periphery of the screen mounts into?

Thanks in advance.
    That's what it looks like to me. Not something you can neatly remove and replace.
    Mike Scott in SJ, CA
    Drive 'em to the Xmax!

Fair enough, thanks for the info! One more choice to balance. Not that a fine stainless screen is that hard to get ahold of, but getting it nicely into place might be rough. Will probably still do it, no sense holding off for the sake of reselling the drivers... when I never seem to part with anything

Thread Information