Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could I get some help here?

Could I get some help here?

I just picked up a Klark Tekniks DN800 stereo 4 way xover. This has 6 xover cards that can be modified by the user in several different ways. Its pretty high quality like all Klark Tekniks products and has some great features.

Frequency card component table

Fr Cap Res

50Hz 330nF 6.8k
    63Hz 220nF 8.2k
    80Hz 330nF 4.3k
    100Hz 100nF 11k
    125Hz 100nF 9.1k
    160Hz 47nF 15k
    200Hz 100nF 5.6k
    250Hz 22nF 20k
    315Hz 33nF 11k
    400Hz 68nF 4.3k
    500Hz 33nF 6.8k
    630Hz 22nF 8.2k
    800Hz 33nF 4.3k
    1000Hz 10nF 11k
    1250Hz 10nF 9.1k
    1600Hz 4.7nF 15k
    2000Hz 10nF 5.6k
    2500Hz 2.2nF 20k
    3150Hz 3.3nF 11k
    4000Hz 6.8nF 4.3k
    5000Hz 3.3nF 6.8k
    6300Hz 2.2nF 8.2k
    8000Hz 3.3nF 4.3k
    10000Hz 1nF 11k
    12500Hz 1nF 9.1k
    16000Hz 1nF 6.8k
    20000Hz 1nF 5.6k

Having this as a reference, can one calculate whats required for 4.5K?

I want the crossover points to be 250/1K/4.5K

Can someone direct me to the right make and source for the electronics?

Thanks all
    Last edited by Ken Pachkowsky; 05-11-2004 at 10:28 PM.

Here is a photo

Very nice features...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hello Ken

Looks to me like you need to drop the manufacturer an email. There is nothing in the manual to show you how to derive the component values. I don't see a key on what components to change on the cards or how to select the crossover slopes/configure the cards. Do you need cards for each slope??There has to be more documentation somewhere on their site.

http://www.klarkteknik.com/index.htm

Hope this helps

Rob
    Last edited by Robh3606; 05-11-2004 at 09:34 PM.

Strictly a fast guess , 4.7 cap and 5.7 resistor for a 4.6K crossover point.

Most of those crossover points are determined from the availiability of hardware supporting the math.In other words some of those points do not corrolate to the hardware used to achieve those documented points.They are close enough to consider for the fiters used in equalisation.

Also try E.V. support,who now owns K.T. at 1-800-392-3497

Oldmics
    Last edited by Oldmics; 05-11-2004 at 11:27 PM.

Yeah, if you plug and chug the math, it looks like a simple product:

cap value * resistor value * frequency = constant (in this case, about 1150, it varies a bit between 1100 and 1190, with most values between 1130 and 1175 for the pairs given that I checked).

The values Oldmics gave should work, though by the math above is indicated for a crossover point of about 4400 Hz (only about a 2.2 percent error, can't imagine that causing a problem!). Here's some other value pairs, that should also get right at 4500 Hz:

3.9 nf cap and 6.8K ohm resistor
    6.0 nf cap and 4.3K ohm resistor

Regards,
    Gordon.

Thanks Guys

Thanks to those that have replied. I heard from KT this am. and was informed that they are sending a software program that calclates cap and resistor values depending on desired xover points.

Will keep you informed.

Hey, Ken...

Looks like oldmics and Gordo have you sorted.

But, I'm wondering why the switch from the Westlake crossover - is this another "taste-test" you're so oft doing? Dammit - I think you get to play more than any of us!!

If you're really in the mood for something, and can get one, I'd urge you toss an Ashly into the mix - their XR4001 is just the ticket for your application, and it has those winkie "Response" curve adjustments both Gordon and I have posted (elsewhere...) about - where you can subtly change the slope at the crossover point(s) (without changing the 24dB/oct slope). They give some spectacular results.

I know the Widget, Ian and myself were mighty impressed with the XR1001 two-way model we played with - Widget went-out and got one!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Originally posted by boputnam
    Hey, Ken...

But, I'm wondering why the switch from the Westlake crossover - is this another "taste-test" you're so oft doing? Dammit - I think you get to play more than any of us!!

If you're really in the mood for something, and can get one, I'd urge you toss an Ashly into the mix - their XR4001 is just the ticket for your application.

Hi Bo

The Westlake crossover works well. I picked this up to do exactly that....experiment. If I don't like it, thats what Ebay is for.

I have looked at the Ashly. I have also heard some great reports on it. Perhaps I should try one of those as well.

Here is a drawing of the monitor stands I am building for the Westlakes. All my equipment will be rack mounted underneath. The wheels will make moving these 430lb beasts much easier.

Later Bud
    Last edited by Ken Pachkowsky; 05-12-2004 at 08:55 AM.

Ha! I guessed as much...

That double-wide rack looks sweet. A few houses with built-in consoles use that to stack EQ's and FX's beneath the desk. There might be something commercially available, but not to hold 430lbs...!!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Originally posted by Giskard
    Quad amp those 4345's!
    Hmm... I think our little road rack could do just that...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Obsolete
    Yep. There you go!

Hello All

That K.T. piece allows bandpass overlap.Thats a mighty nice feature.Overlaping points and choosing individual slope patterns per bandwidth is one of the procedures used for hi power pro applications.
    I know that it also allows different slope combinations along with a choice of Bessel, L/R or Mrs.Butterworths responses.

These parameter changes became instantly accessable thru digital tecnology as opposed to replacing the required hardware to do these chores in anologue circuit designs.

The drawback of digital equipment is limitations or sonic charactoristics induced by the converter mechanisms.Some converters just sound better than others.It depends on your preference for the application.

Oldmics
    Last edited by Oldmics; 05-12-2004 at 10:08 AM.

Obsolete
    "The drawback of digital equipment is limitations or sonic charactoristics induced by the converter mechanisms.Some converters just sound better than others."

Well, I've found that if you put the treadmill rats running the D converters facing the treadmill rats running the A converters instead of their backs to each other, or even side by side, facing together or away, the sound is much better! I wish I had a bar napkin to draw it on but it's not 4 pm yet.

Giskard

I gotta disagree with you here!!!!!!!

Did you forget about the opposing electro magnet factor generated from rat fur and being proprogated thru their tails?

Side by side or backs to each other would be a shorter transmission path of the distortion of rat fur EMI as opposed to your suggestion.

How about we meet at the lounge around 4:00 for MEK shooters and a more in depth discussion?

Best regards
    Oldmics

Obsolete
    I never thought not to shave my rats!

Okie Dokie then! MEK shooters at 4 pm it is!

Thread Information