Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best application for this Speaker ?

I guess it depends on where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Allanvh5150 View Post
    I do not see why everyone likes Bose bashing so much. For what it is it is pretty good stuff. They seem to sell a hell of a lot of product compared to most others. They target a particular market, advertise and sell. And they also make the best aviation headset on the market.
    In the US we are bombarded with Bo$e advertising.
    I work at a Spanish format radio station and Bo$e advertises on the air here, in English! But we take the money!
    The problems is that Bo$e consumer products are just ok, nothing special, but the advertising makes them out be SO MUCH, MUCH more and then they charge an arm & a leg for the stuff. It is very easy to buy good sound systems that sound better than the Bo$e for about half of what Bo$e charges.
    and if you don't say nice things about Bo$e speakers he will sue!
    In 1981 Bose unsuccessfully sued the magazine Consumer Reports for libel. Consumer Reports reported in a review that the sound from the system that they reviewed "tended to wander about the room." Initially, the Federal District Court found that Consumer Reports "had published the false statement with knowledge that it was false or with reckless disregard of its truth or falsity" when it changed what the original reviewer wrote about the speakers in his pre-publication draft, that the sound tended to wander "along the wall." The Court of Appeals then reversed the trial court's ruling on liability, and the United States Supreme Court affirmed in a 6-3 vote in the case Bose Corp. v. Consumers Union of United States, Inc., finding that the statement was made without actual malice, and therefore there was no liability for libel.[

Talking

I think it's great that Dr. Bose is still at the helm of his creation, I really do. I also believe him to be brilliant in many ways.

I also have a friend with an Mk2 Golf GTI. I have never seen it in competition but have ridden in it and will say without hesitation it is a sensational little car. He made his living (until recently) building early Cobra cars here at the Speedway. Also very exciting cars in my opinion.

It's funny how we like different things isn't it? We have a couple of guys in the engine shop that like the sound of a four cylinder while the rest of us much prefer the roar of a V8.

The whole audio quest I believe is the creation of an acceptable illusion of the original event in our private environment. For some that is easily satisfied with a Bose Wave Radio. For me it's a stack of JBL, and the roar of an FE powered Cobra. For anyone else? Well,,,
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Smile

Sorry Rich, your thread has been carjacked!
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

No worries !

As long as it don't turn into a brawl Trouble is , I know less about cars than I do about astro - physics LOL

Rich

I've heard Bose speakers sounding pretty good and at least as good as some of the cheaper JBLs I've heard which sounded pretty mediocre to me. Actually some of the better JBLs sounded pretty mediocre to me too. I've heard some mediocre Altecs too and ANY Bose sounds better than an AR3.

I'd rather make fun of "audiophile" 6" 2-ways that sell for $5000 a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrobso View Post
    The problems is that Bo$e consumer products are just ok, nothing special, but the advertising makes them out be SO MUCH, MUCH more and then they charge an arm & a leg for the stuff.
    When have you seen any product advertised that didn't claim to be superior? What do you expect?

Bose doesn't charge an arm and a leg; Wilson, now they charge an arm and a leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    I'd rather make fun of "audiophile" 6" 2-ways that sell for $5000 a pair.
    You can make fun of this $30K 6" 2-way if you want... but it sounds amazingly good to me and quite a few others.

Actually, I'd venture $100 that in a double blind listening session you would pick them over your own speakers.

http://www.magico.net/?d=03_Products/03_Mini_II

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Notice in the corners of the room on the floor:

My wife wanted something for music in the living room (I have a room of my own for my good sound system). For her taste it just needed to produce good background music for when we have company.

It took a few months to find a decent pair of the original series Bose 901 with the optional wood fronts. I thought They'd look quite nice with the Danish Modern and Mid Century furnishings and the modern artworks. I've got the original stands too. A cool thing about these is that the original had cloth surrounds on the drivers so no foam decay to deal with.

They are absolutely mid-fi, but sometimes I enjoy them turned up so they can breathe a bit: it's such a '70s experience. These even came with the original type-written xeroxed manual.

We drive them with an iPod and a pair of McIntosh MC50s. Don't they blend seamlessly with the room? Mission Accomplished!

eso

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You can make fun of this $30K 6" 2-way if you want... but it sounds amazingly good to me and quite a few others.

Actually, I'd venture $100 that in a double blind listening session you would pick them over your own speakers.

Widget

Over my $200 Guitar Center KRK 6" 2-ways? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Brennan View Post
    Over my $200 Guitar Center KRK 6" 2-ways? Maybe.
    I wish we could set up the demo... you would discover your world isn't what you thought it was.

I realize my words will never convince you... if you ever make it out West, I'll arrange a demo... doubt we could get MLs in the same room, but just hearing them will surprise you.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I wish we could set up the demo... you would discover your world isn't what you thought it was.

I realize my words will never convince you... if you ever make it out West, I'll arrange a demo... doubt we could get MLs in the same room, but just hearing them will surprise you.

Widget

I respect you Widget but I'd be very surprised if any small cone and dome (or ring radiator) speaker would impress me past a certain point.

When I bought the KRKs a few years ago I was ready and willing to spend quite a bit of money and listened to many proper audiophile speakers of that type (small 2-ways) and in the end none sounded much better to me than the KRKs and some sounded inferior. That type of speaker seems to only do so much for me.

Mind you, unlike many audiophiles I'm now very aware of my ability to delude myself and I am open to the possibility I'm pandering to my own biases.

These uber expensive Mini speakers can't defy the laws of physics... the bass only extends to the upper 30s and I doubt they can play louder than 105dB without strain, but if you play music in a "normal" room and listen at sane levels they are really something. They can reproduce the explosive transients of a plucked guitar string as well as anything I have heard...

You would be shocked. I know the KRKs... not terrible, better than many... these Minis are simply not from the same galaxy as the KRKs. And they damn well better not be for the price they cost... admittedly at least one cap in the crossover costs the manufacturer more than KRK's entire cost to manufacture their complete speaker.

Widget

I was holding out for the $89K Magico M5 speakers. They got a lot of great press.

I want to MORE about THIS!!!???!!!
    One step above: "Two Tin Cans and a String!"
    Longtime Alaskan Low-Fi Guy - E=MC² ±3db

whooooaaaa !

Quote Originally Posted by jerry_rig View Post
    I was holding out for the $89K Magico M5 speakers. They got a lot of great press.
    MR JERRY

YOU SIR HAVE AN EYE . they could sound shite and still and I could own them
    Just the prompt to get out bed and potter on with my latest project .

They are a work of art ... and they say Europeans have no eye for design

Rich

Thread Information