Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parts Express Speaker Reconing Service

Parts Express Speaker Reconing Service

I was just ordering some stuff from PE and saw that they now offer reconing service for many brands (including JBL) of loudspeakers. I looked up reconing a 2245H and the quote came to $140 + S&H.

I know some others have been concerned about not being able to have their older JBL's rebuilt, but maybe this is something that's promising. :dont-know

Anyone have any experience or comments on it?

Steve

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...nter/index.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I don't see anywhere that they mention what replacement cones they will be using. It certainly doesn't promise original JBL replacement parts.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

To a lot of people, a cone is a cone
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I was just ordering some stuff from PE and saw that they now offer reconing service for many brands (including JBL) of loudspeakers. I looked up reconing a 2245H and the quote came to $140 + S&H.

I know some others have been concerned about not being able to have their older JBL's rebuilt, but maybe this is something that's promising. :dont-know

Steve

http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...nter/index.cfm
    You can still get the 2245H reconed with JBL parts, but the cone kit alone is just shy of twice the figure you quoted ($270 ea for the cone kits, plus labor, plus shipping both ways to the reconer). That may make it more a question of wanting to pay to have their older JBL stuff rebuilt correctly vs the cheaper alternative.

I personally went the JBL route. A fresh cone job should last a decade or more, then a re-foam another. If I'm still sucking air by then, I'll consider it $400 well spent.

The P.E. recone price calculator gave me a piece of $140.00 for a 2240H. NO WAY, everyone else gives me a $330.00 price. And P.E. gives $100.00ea as a 2235H recone price.

Either the calculator is wrong, or these so are NOT JBL parts.
    scottyj

Just a theory:
    JBL could be dumping inventory, if they are winding down their State side operations

In the auto trade it's done quietly; you open a "Standard" brand parts box and inside is a "Standard" branded part, a genuine manufacturer's part, OR an Italian or chinese clone

This happens a lot as a result of one company picking up an account from another vendor, same with belts and hoses

Either way, let's try to pin them down on who's parts they're using

My experience with Parts Express (as far as customer service type issues and questions) has been mediocre at best

Just thinking out loud

Thomas

My guess is that all repairs are using Waldom or other aftermarket parts. Someone should call them up and ask. If they are using genuine JBL parts at those prices it is a hell of a deal. I doubt it though.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    My guess is that all repairs are using Waldom or other aftermarket parts. Someone should call them up and ask. If they are using genuine JBL parts at those prices it is a hell of a deal. I doubt it though.

Widget
    I would have to agree with you; my theory was just that and nothing more than wishful speculation of sorts

Parts Express is very much a retailer; why would they sell so cheap if any of what I suggested were true, EXCEPT could be part of the deal

Remember when Michelin under cut it's own dealers/franchises and started selling it's tires at price clubs and any other distributor that met the most minimum criteria? AND gave them better pricing in return for exposure and volume? This was a long time ago, and is apples and oranges, but stranger things have happened.

One is dumping costly to maintain inventory, one is preservation/growing market share.

Symptoms are similar though, for the short term anyway.

Thomas

I'll call later today. IF it really is GENUINE JBL It is an AMAZING PRICE! However, I was looking at the section pertaining to reconing unknown woofers, and they clearly show the OLD ribbed cone, and stamped frame basket, reconed with a smooth sided cone.

Could be Waldom.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    I'll call later today. IF it really is GENUINE JBL It is an AMAZING PRICE! However, I was looking at the section pertaining to reconing unknown woofers, and they clearly show the OLD ribbed cone, and stamped frame basket, reconed with a smooth sided cone.

Could be Waldom.

Good luck and God Bless getting a straight answer from those folks.

While you have them on the phone; see if you can find out why it's cheaper to order parts (the "shipping and handling") as a first timer through their Amazon store front than with an account through theirs proper.

We're talking cap orders here (a handful), legit $3.95 First Class Flat Rate box through the Amazon page, versus some ridiculous 1lb. $14 dollar bull shit direct from them. This on more than one occasion. Do a cart on PE's site, then do the identical cart on the Amazon store page, you'll see what I'm saying (IF they haven't finally corrected this )

And this is NOT subsidized by Amazon in any way form or fashion.

They never could explain the disparity after I presented them with the invoices; just stopped communicating

So, "Tip-o-The Day":
    When ordering anything from Parts Express, use their Amazon store front
    Your stuff will ship straight from Parts Express and sometimes even faster
    AND you'll save $10 bucks or better, depending on the size of your order

Thomas

I thought JBL only supplied JBL recone kits to authorized JBL repair facilities? I don't see Parts Express listed.

They may be farming the work out to an outside recone shop.

BTW, cannot get to PE website currently - ????

Interesting.........

According to someone on this thread, no more "Waldom" as far as recone kits:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14776/

Can't find anything on the web either except passives and plugs at:
    http://waldom.com/

Thomas

There is a Canadian outfit called Santon, that makes aftermarket JBL recone kits.
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Good luck and God Bless getting a straight answer from those folks.

While you have them on the phone; see if you can find out why it's cheaper to order parts (the "shipping and handling") as a first timer through their Amazon store front than with an account through theirs proper.

We're talking cap orders here (a handful), legit $3.95 First Class Flat Rate box through the Amazon page, versus some ridiculous 1lb. $14 dollar bull shit direct from them. This on more than one occasion. Do a cart on PE's site, then do the identical cart on the Amazon store page, you'll see what I'm saying (IF they haven't finally corrected this )

And this is NOT subsidized by Amazon in any way form or fashion.

They never could explain the disparity after I presented them with the invoices; just stopped communicating

So, "Tip-o-The Day":
    When ordering anything from Parts Express, use their Amazon store front
    Your stuff will ship straight from Parts Express and sometimes even faster
    AND you'll save $10 bucks or better, depending on the size of your order

Thomas
    I have a NET 30 account with them, I call on the phone, and get free shipping all the time.
    scottyj

Thread Information