Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JBL under/over achievers

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    L7's were new in 2000 ?? I auditioned a pair in 1991 and they had been out a while then ....you could be right, but hard to believe that they had a 10 year run ??
    Give or take a decade! Last price listed new on this site is probably around 1996. I suspect they may have sat around at Circuit City for a couple of years after that. Let's call it 14 years if that makes any difference to the point I was making.

The 4412As were still available new on-line as recently as probably five years ago though. Split the difference.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakerLabFan View Post
    L-46s are another two-way that impress to my ears, which I admit were raised on and biased toward that forward "west coast" sound (re:speakerlabfan).

A nice build with the 117H 8" woofer and 034 titanium dome tweeter. They don't challenge the aDs 710s in my "bookshelf" category lineup, but are very fun speakers.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1982-home/page08.jpg

Attachment 47161
    The 034s aren't titanium. I will say that the L46s pack more of a punch than I expect from 8" drivers, but the 034s are lacking a bit to me. Nicely balanced overall, and I use 5 of them just about every day in my basement theater without complaint...if you factor in the price I paid for six of them, they're certainly over-achievers.

je

L65A's

Quote Originally Posted by brad347 View Post
    I own a pair of L-65a and I might agree.

I like them. They sound nice. But if we were being very honest, the 077 is crossed over a bit too low in these systems. There's something a little inconsistent in the midrange, I think. Isn't the 077 crossed at about 6.5k in the L-65 and variants? It enters into its linear range round about 8k, correct?

BUT the L-65As I own are really nice speakers. I'm more than happy with them, especially for the $50 I paid.

But at the ~$1000 or even more they were fetching pre-recession? Not so sure.
    Brad I agree with your thoughts on the L65 but I would take them over the L112 any day.

Thread Information