Thread: Can someone help me ID these cabinets? (Altec, Barzilay?)

Can someone help me ID these cabinets? (Altec, Barzilay?)

My father bought/assembled these back in the late sixtys or early seventies. I am not exactly sure what they are. Possibly altecs or barzilays or another cabinet builders?. I believe he had Altec 604e's in them at one point. The speakers were long ago removed and placed in different cabinets (which I still have ) I was thinking of getting rid of these cabinets but what to know what they are first.

I'd bet heavily on Barzilay cabinets loaded with speaker' du jour.

I have the identical Barzilays with 604Es except that mine have the port tubes on the top.

I included photos of a slightly modified Jeff Markwart crossover that took me six months to put on the bench and 90 minutes to assemble and mount.

The sound is outstanding. Thank you Jeff and thank you to Evert from Holland who has been my mentor with upgrading crossovers and building systems.

Bob Walker
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks

Thanks, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Any idea what the model name is? I have been thinking about refurbishing them but don't know if it is worth the effort. They need some work, new grills (which will probably be impossible to find), and some other touch ups.

Quote Originally Posted by jim355 View Post
    Thanks, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Any idea what the model name is? I have been thinking about refurbishing them but don't know if it is worth the effort. They need some work, new grills (which will probably be impossible to find), and some other touch ups.
    Mine aren't marked and I don't see any sign of labels ever being glued to the back. I have nothing to verify that they are even genuine but if not the builder was good and paid close attention to detail.

They're great cabinets for 604Es and if you're keeping them for yourself refinish and enjoy them but if you're planning to sell them leave them alone. They're worth nothing but the cost of shipping regardless of their condition and they'll be more desireable as is to the DIYers.

I'd leave the grilles off or make some simple wood frames with cloth. If you're good you can make some metal grilles and there's a guy here with a fairly recent posting looking for enough people to justify getting some wooden fretted grilles cut for Altec Valencia 846As. You can use the same pattern and get the dimensions cut to fit your cabinets

Bob W

Thread Information