Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL manufacturing in China

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    You don't think it would be in the Congresswoman's best political interest to get up and make a stink about yet another company selling out?
    Widget
    No, but then the "politics" are back in the mix and I've publicly vowed to you I'd avoid it. Might I suggest a trip to her website and review her "positions" on things.

Assuming you meant "quit", I'd agree. I don't know much about him, but it may be that he never really was much of a Hi-Fi guy and was always more interested in making a buck than making good music.Widget

EXACTLY! (and now we've come full circle)

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    No, but then the "politics" are back in the mix and I've publicly vowed to you I'd avoid it. Might I suggest a trip to her website and review her "positions" on things.
    I guess my feeling is that you don't have to take up a political stance to see how kissing babies is good for a politician.

That said, I think you are right and we had better not go down that slippery slope...

Widget

Unfortunately, if you are a hi-fi guy and your company does not make money, you will quickly become a hi-fi guy with no company.

Its possible that over the years, Sidney and Jane did not want to move more stuff offsore but the laws of capitalism forced their hands....

The laws of capitalism are easy - make money or die.

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    Unfortunately, if you are a hi-fi guy and your company does not make money, you will quickly become a hi-fi guy with no company.

Its possible that over the years, Sidney and Jane did not want to move more stuff offsore but the laws of capitalism forced their hands....

We've been all over this one. I don't think anyone disagrees with you... Jim Lansing himself was a sort of poster child for this situation, that said, you can make a little less and do good, make more and do bad, or make more today at the cost of tomorrow's profits.

But again, we really have pounded this into the ground.

Widget

I guess my feeling is that you don't have to take up a political stance to see how kissing babies is good for a politician.

That said, I think you are right and we had better not go down that slippery slope...

Widget

I agree.

As for you other point, understood, but I've had about all the "baby kissing" I can take. And I don't think I am alone.

On another OT note: I am getting busy, FINALLY hooking up a system LONG in the making. C40s and a little 6BQ5 Class A amp I just finished.

Nothing's ever seemed to be in the same room at the same time! But yes, a crippled old man CAN move (2) loaded C40s from one end of the house to the other, BY HIMSELF! (and still have veneer and corners)

I am exited!

Thomas

I think he's the guy who sold it to Beatrice Foods.

Jane Harman is said to be the 2nd wealthiest member of congress with assets in the $160 million range. Being broke isn't really a concern for her or her husband.

Not Sydney's wife. One of the children:

A Phi Beta Kappa graduate of Smith College in 1966, she graduated from Harvard Law School in 1969 and became a member of the bar in the District of Columbia. She has two children, Brian Frank and Hilary Frank, from her nine-year first marriage to Richard Frank. She also has two younger children, Daniel Geier Harman and Justine Leigh Harman, with her husband Sidney Harman, an audio equipment manufacturer, whom she married in 1980.

Thomas

Aren't there any US states with a low minimum wage (or none at all) where JBL could move to instead of China? If they're going to re-train people to do the work wayyy over there, why not an alternative here? Or is that where Mexico comes in?

Saw some news recently that Burton Snowboards was closing it's plant in Vermont that made the high end boards - about 50 people losing their jobs. Interestingly they're shifting production of these high end boards to Austria, where it's cheaper to produce them! (All the low end/entry boards are made in China already...)

Where in the US could you pay someone $20 a day including all their expected benefits, sick days, vacation and overhead for the factory they work in??

20.00 USD=136.566 CNY

That's the exchange rate right now with a weak dollar. $500 Chinese dolars a week is a good wage for them. In the Free Trade Zones they live at the factories during the week and get free room and board and food as part of the package. They go home on weekends. They don't have to spend a dime and bring their entire pay check home to their families. They are happy as hell to work and get a job like this there.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

These links will provide a bit of insight as to the current ownership of our beloved JBL. There are unavoidable political references as they are political people. If you find this sort of material offensive or irrelevant, then please do NOT click on the links. If, on the other hand, you would like to learn more about Jane Harman and Harman International then feel free.

One thing's for certain; it's not your father's "JBL":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKKSiC0BOeo

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9932014154459#

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6297758182280#

Thomas

Obsolete
    Not Sydney's wife. One of the children:
    I know, I've met her. Don has met her and I believe Steve has as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
    That's the exchange rate right now with a weak dollar. $500 Chinese dolars a week is a good wage for them. In the Free Trade Zones they live at the factories during the week and get free room and board and food as part of the package. They go home on weekends. They don't have to spend a dime and bring their entire pay check home to their families. They are happy as hell to work and get a job like this there.
    Yeah, maybe we can all move to that model too.
    These links will provide a bit of insight as to the current ownership of our beloved JBL. There are unavoidable political references as they are political people. If you find this sort of material offensive or irrelevant, then please do NOT click on the links. If, on the other hand, you would like to learn more about Jane Harman and Harman International then feel free.

One thing's for certain; it's not your father's "JBL":
    Nice videos...
    The company I work for has the same kind of plant down there. The guys here hate going down there. The plant itself is nice compared to our hundred year old plant here in Ohio but the surrounding area smells like raw sewage and the people are destitute. Hopefully we can look forward to that in our own country too. It seems to be what everyone wants...

AND exactly what DID anyone think we were doing everywhere else in the world that got mad at us and kicked us out of their countries that we FIGHT so hard to get back in to?

WAKE UP! This shit has been going on since.....

I'm not advocating what they do, and I am not UN-ADVOCATING, either.

Since it is going to be political, regardless of anything I had to say about it, LETS TALK, what about the GASOLINE we all put in our cars?

What kinds of deals did our gov't, and BIG, BIG,, BIG American oil companies make, to sell out our people, other countries, and THEIR people in, IN THE GRAND TRADITION OF AMERICAN EXPLOITATION?
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin View Post
    AND exactly what DID anyone think we were doing everywhere else in the world that got mad at us and kicked us out of their countries that we FIGHT so hard to get back in to?

WAKE UP! This shit has been going on since.....

I'm not advocating what they do, and I am not UN-ADVOCATING, either.

Since it is going to be political, regardless of anything I had to say about it, LETS TALK, what about the GASOLINE we all put in our cars?

What kinds of deals did our gov't, and BIG, BIG,, BIG American oil companies make, to sell out our people, other countries, and THEIR people in, IN THE GRAND TRADITION OF AMERICAN EXPLOITATION?

My point is not to carry on the circular jerkster debate and rant on "exploitation", financial colonialism or any of that.

My point is that JBL, as we know and love it, isn't just moving off shore or out of the country..............

It's DEAD and I don't want to accept that fact just yet but we are in denial to think (or discuss) otherwise.

Oh, there'll be bones to pick for a while, but it's DEAD and it ain't coming back.

And folks, forgive me, I think I'm having to tell myself that here, hoping someone will show me otherwise and I can wake up, as from a bad dream.

Thank you James Bullough Lansing! It was a Hell of a run!

Let's treasure what we have. What JBL was really about will live on for a long time if we do.

Thomas

Oddly enough I remember when made in Japan items were considered to be crap products and now people look for the label because it indicates a higher level of quality. China I am sure will be the same way, when they first starting producing electronics quality control was a big issue and im sure still is for some items but I would be willing to bet in 10-20 years that will change and their products will be looked at in a different light.

If JBL wants to make the type of profits other companys do then they will have to follow suit, now if they were happy with making a small profit and just keeping their head above water I dont see a problem with staying here in the USA but you have to realize that the people in charge want ever bigger profits not become a small botique company that produces high quality audio products. Look at what Lexicon did with the whole Oppo Blu Ray debacle, greed has became the name of the game.

REGARDS JIM

Thread Information