Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: JBL manufacturing in China

No More Chinese Junk!

My JBL re-coner has been a Harman stockholder for decades and he passes out buttons at the annual shareholder's meeting that say, "NO MORE CHINESE JUNK"

He is totally against the current management moves at Harman. I think he told me the staff involved at Northridge that make diaphragms and re-cone kits is fairly limited - say a dozen or so people.

I assume the local real estate taxes at Northridge makes the Harman operation there a total cash flow and earnings disaster. (Yeh, I'm a bean counter)

He claims the Crown stuff from China is pure garbage and that his sales of Crown amps is way way down.

Anyway, he makes stage cabs too and fills them with Eminance drivers - lots of induced distortion that guitar players love!

Quote Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
    "NO MORE CHINESE JUNK"
    Personally I think they are kinda cool...

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A Chinese junk!!!!!
    scottyj

Obsolete
    I think he told me the staff involved at Northridge that make diaphragms and re-cone kits is fairly limited - say a dozen or so people.
    Outeffinstanding! That means we can fire the ahole making 20 million a year running the dump and pay each of those folks a hundred grand a year to keep doing what they do best.

Hear Hear!!
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

The buttons being past out at the shareholder meeting have a picture of the Chinese junk "sailboat" that is posted above. There is a red circle with a cross through it and the name of the re-coner's shop is also listed.

I have one of the buttons and may post a pic soon. Since the button has an "ad" for a re-coner, I'm not sure it would be OK to post a pic here, however.

So Sidney Harman is still a significant shareholder but has no day-to-day say in management? Apparently, his much younger wife is a Congress women from California and the Harman shut down decision was, obviously, not a hit with her.

If you guys want to protest the decision, I would do it through Sidney's wife rather than write letters directly to the Harman company management which would likely be ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Outeffinstanding! That means we can fire the ahole making 20 million a year running the dump and pay each of those folks a hundred grand a year to keep doing what they do best.
    Pay him or his successor should he decide to leave $5 million and use the extra $15 million to pay the "high" Northridge rent?

BTW: For those who haven't been to the old Northridge facility, it isn't in a high rent neighborhood.

Widget

If you guys want to protest the decision, I would do it through Sidney's wife rather than write letters directly to the Harman company management which would likely be ignored.
    That's the best suggestion yet, though since her name is Harman she may not want to advertise the fact that a multinational company of the same name was screwing California and America to make a buck.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Personally I think they are kinda cool...

Widget
    I agree, but poor xmax.

The buttons being past out at the shareholder meeting have a picture of the Chinese junk "sailboat" that is posted above. There is a red circle with a cross through it and the name of the re-coner's shop is also listed.

I have one of the buttons and may post a pic soon. Since the button has an "ad" for a re-coner, I'm not sure it would be OK to post a pic here, however.

So Sidney Harman is still a significant shareholder but has no day-to-day say in management? Apparently, his much younger wife is a Congress women from California and the Harman shut down decision was, obviously, not a hit with her.

Guess you don't know too much about the beloved Congresswoman Jane Harman, representing the 36th Congressional District of California, do you?

Thomas

That's the best suggestion yet, though since her name is Harman she may not want to advertise the fact that a multinational company of the same name was screwing California and America to make a buck.

Widget
    An interesting point to note (to me anyway):

Sidney was Undersecretary of the Department of Commerce during the Carter administration.

I don't think they'll mind.

Thomas

I went to the thrift store yesterday and was reminded that even Fisher (WELL post Avery) built their "speakers" down in Chatsworth.

All in and around L. A. , L.A. County (City of Industry) et al
    Marantz doing business out of Ventura County, designing some of their best Solid State stuff............Infinity etc etc etc.........

Oh yeah, and some outfit called "JBL"

Used to be a hub, nice place to live.

JBL's held out longer than a lot of 'em.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Guess you don't know too much about the beloved Congresswoman Jane Harman...
    An interesting point to note (to me anyway):...
    Do you have a point, or are you dragging this into a political direction again?

Widget

Do you have a point, or are you dragging this into a political direction again?

Widget

No Mr. Widget, simply suggesting that writing a letter to either would be a waste of time, rather a naive and childish proposition in my opinion. Sidney and Jane's record(s) and actions, respectively speak for themselves. The first sale to Beatrice certainly wasn't altruistically motivated, nor the events up for discussion now.
    It's inseparable in my mind, they are both political creatures and have been calling the shots at JBL, off and on, for a LONG time.
    But I hear you loud and clear and promise you I will never mention again that JBL and others are moving "off shore" due to any other reason than they just don't like the weather here anymore, or some same such reason.

I am not trying to make this a political debate or a flame war, but again, with this particular topic there IS an 800 lb. gorilla in the room.

I apologize to you, and anyone else I may have offended with my point of view.

I write and say this sincerely,

Thomas

P. S.: Sidney Harman quit being a "hi-fi" guy a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago. Just this writer's opinion.

No Mr. Widget, simply suggesting that writing a letter to either would be a waste of time, rather a naive and childish proposition in my opinion. Sidney and Jane's record(s) and actions, respectively speak for themselves.
    You don't think it would be in the Congresswoman's best political interest to get up and make a stink about yet another company selling out?

P. S.: Sidney Harman quite being a "hi-fi" guy a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago. Just this writer's opinion.
    Assuming you meant "quit", I'd agree. I don't know much about him, but it may be that he never really was much of a Hi-Fi guy and was always more interested in making a buck than making good music.

Widget

Thread Information